Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 14, 2011, 12:54 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
Yep...
Okay I'm at a loss for how to select the drive for PCMark 7 to test. If I select "secondary storage suite" and point it to an array, it will test it in addition to the storage tests as part of the base PCMark suite - but those tests are always run on C: no matter what. How does one test something other than their OS drive as part of the general PCMark suite?

edit - Ah jeez - just saw this post from Jarnis on the Futuremark forums: "Note that PCMark suite storage test does the test *only* on the operating system drive." Guess I'm out for that stage.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old December 14, 2011, 03:37 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Things View Post
That is an outstanding Celery 450 score Rasparthe, with incredible efficiency. Nicely done!

edit - the RAM you're using in the REX... are they F3-16000CL9D-4GBRH's by any chance?
Thanks, things went pretty well the chip preformed very good and was kinda surprised to see it get so high considering the best LN2 scores are only 400 Mhz higher.

Your close, the RAM are the 1866 version F3-15000CL9D, why? I picked them up close to a year ago in a package of other stuff but they have always served me well but can't find any information on them. They can get to 2300 at 1.73v or so even Cas 9 I believe depending on the ambient. Have to look through my scores to see for sure.
Old December 14, 2011, 08:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasparthe View Post
Your close, the RAM are the 1866 version F3-15000CL9D, why?
I understand that BBSE's play nice with the REX. I don't know if the DDR-1866 ones are BBSE's but, the DDR-2000 ones are for sure, and that's what I have. Just trying to figure out if I'm good RAM-wise if I ever do manage to secure a REX for myself again. Your results would seem to indicate that I'm good.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old December 14, 2011, 09:49 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Managed to post a half-decent pcmark 7 score last night, ram caching sure helps! I wonder if any of the other teams have caught on...

One thing I found this morning trying to improve the score, ram speed only helps so much once you get to higher speeds. Going from 2133 to 2400 only yielded 11 more points.

Here's how things look using supercache...
Attached Images

HWC Overclocking Team, breaking hardware for fun!

Team Thread
Old December 14, 2011, 10:13 AM
MVP

Nice golden cup. I am hoping to get start on testing this out on a 775 platform tonight. Never done any caching before so the learning curve will be steep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Things View Post
I understand that BBSE's play nice with the REX. I don't know if the DDR-1866 ones are BBSE's but, the DDR-2000 ones are for sure, and that's what I have. Just trying to figure out if I'm good RAM-wise if I ever do manage to secure a REX for myself again. Your results would seem to indicate that I'm good.
Yep, if these are BBSEs they do work well with the REX, the highest strap with the 200 base clock of the Celeron 450 that I could go meant I was only around the 1600 Mhz range for the RAM but I had it tightened all the way down 7-7-7 (I didn't try any further since I was having a hell time keeping stability for Wprime 1024m). I'm almost certain that I have never gotten near 1.75v on these and have done 2300 Mhz 9-9-9 but that was on a P55 FTW (I really miss that board... ). Just make sure if you do find one, to get the newest BIOS. When I received the board it had v404 on it and it did not like the RAM, it would not get past detecting the RAM on the POST without several resets. I've haven't had the problem even once with the newest BIOS.

Last edited by Rasparthe; December 14, 2011 at 10:34 AM.
Old December 14, 2011, 10:28 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Nice job man. Yeah RAM caching boots score but a huge margin, 4000 with mech drive to close to 7000 with cache setup. Glad you ran that score because I sold my 3930K last night and there are none in stock anywhere to replace it with for a week at least.

What CPU clock are you using there?
Old December 14, 2011, 10:57 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasparthe View Post
Nice golden cup. I am hoping to get start on testing this out on a 775 platform tonight. Never done any caching before so the learning curve will be steep!
Never done it before either, honestly took all of 10 mins max to set up. Here's the Asus guide I read overHow To Set Up a RamCache on ASUS X79 Series Motherboards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
Nice job man. Yeah RAM caching boots score but a huge margin, 4000 with mech drive to close to 7000 with cache setup. Glad you ran that score because I sold my 3930K last night and there are none in stock anywhere to replace it with for a week at least.

What CPU clock are you using there?
Thanks! Run was at 5.1ghz (51x100), I've tried a few times to run it at 5.2 but fighting bsod's everytime. Thinking playing with the 125 strap may help.

Team Thread
Old December 14, 2011, 11:58 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by G777 View Post
Managed to post a half-decent pcmark 7 score last night, ram caching sure helps! I wonder if any of the other teams have caught on...

One thing I found this morning trying to improve the score, ram speed only helps so much once you get to higher speeds. Going from 2133 to 2400 only yielded 11 more points.

Here's how things look using supercache...
Nice! Strange though, coincidence score. I was also playing with pc07 last night & got this with the 2600k.

Going to freeze it colder in the next couple days to try & beat my personal best.
Old December 14, 2011, 12:12 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FtW View Post
Nice! Strange though, coincidence score. I was also playing with pc07 last night & got this with the 2600k.

Going to freeze it colder in the next couple days to try & beat my personal best.
Funny... nice freaking score though, killer clocks!

Team Thread
Old December 14, 2011, 12:19 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Nice guys. We have excellent 4 and 6 core scores, now is someone able to run some dual or single?