Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 6, 2011, 02:47 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Keep em coming guys, we are doing quite well :)

I plan on doing some damage when wprime and pcmark start up. As shown in my RIVE review, x79 and ram cache destroys pcmark. I also now have a retail chip so can submit results.
Old December 6, 2011, 03:21 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I was running into that same error DT with WIN7 but it disappeared when I switched to xp.
Old December 6, 2011, 03:27 PM
MVP

What do you figure will do well with PCMARK 7, which is the biggest factor? I don't know much of anything about the PCMARK series.
Old December 6, 2011, 03:31 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Things View Post
Okay, so we've got that A8 score... but when the guy was benching it he was running into weird memory errors like "3DMark requires at least 128MB of memory to be installed" even though CPU-Z correctly showed the 8GB he had installed. Anyway, something was amiss, and his score reflects that at 25,382. Unfortunately he had to return the machine to his customer this morning and did not have much time to play with it.

He's going to post it up anyway, but just wanted to give the team a heads-up in case anybody knows a guy who knows a guy with an A8 and wants to take another shot at it.

Pretty sure the problem was that the ram allocation setting was left at 32mb or 64mb or whatever default is. Its a setting in the bios where you can choose how much of your system ram you want to allocate strictly for the igpu. That's too bad but it was done in such a short time that things like this are almost expected to happen.
Old December 6, 2011, 03:32 PM

PCMark takes everything into consideration, cpu, memory, video card, and storage so you really have to optimize everything. I find how you set up your storage makes the biggest difference though, have a look at the pcm7 comparos in the link I posted to my RIVE review. I gained close to 40% simply by setting up RAM caching.

Old December 6, 2011, 03:49 PM
MVP

Interesting, I'll have to look into this more, it is worth even contemplating under a 775 platform? Not sure if I'll have a SB up and running by that time or not.
Old December 6, 2011, 03:51 PM

Yep, every platform works pcmark pts. Whether or not your score will be in our top 5 depends on what others are benching with. For anyone setting up a ram cache I can help you with that.
Old December 6, 2011, 03:55 PM
MVP

Is ram caching legal on HWBOT? I know ramdisk are not allowed but I'm unfamiliar with ram caching or the difference between the two.
Old December 6, 2011, 04:01 PM

As far as I know it is, but I will confirm
Old December 8, 2011, 08:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

So what's the deal with PCMark7? I'm guessing Massman won't answer the RAM caching question until Dec. 11, but...

- Is Win7 the preferred OS like it is for PCMark 2005?
- x86 vs. x64? I'm guessing that depends on the answer to the RAM caching question.
- Any HDD speed limits like there are for PCMark 2005?
- Preferred hardware? Preferred setup or known tweaks?

-----

Also - with regard to the wPrime stage. Since I've been working on my E5645 anyway, I've used the competition background for the wPrime score so that it can temporarily hold down a 6-core score so that guys like Eldonko and Gav777 can spend more time maxing out their SB-E scores. I still plan on subbing a 1x score with my Celeron 440, though - just using the E5645 as a placeholder for you guys. It's my only retail Xeon, by the way.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!