Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/overclocking-tweaking-benchmarking/)
-   -   Everything running fine but the upgrade itch getting stronger ;) (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/overclocking-tweaking-benchmarking/48032-everything-running-fine-but-upgrade-itch-getting-stronger.html)

akulacan November 5, 2011 04:15 PM

Everything running fine but the upgrade itch getting stronger ;)

Hey guys,

Not sure f this is the right section to put this in but I have just a few questions.

With my current setup everything is quite sweet. No problems, the *very* occasional Overclock fail and CTD or freeze but other than that I am very happy with my setup.

Now, the thing is I'm starting to wonder if there's anything I can do that is reasonably cost effective to make my rig boot up and perform faster than it already is. With the SSDs boot times are much better (not lightning fast by any standards but much better none the less), the my CPU seems to be doing everything it was made to do and more with the OC and my 2 GTX560's are running BF3 all on high with AA turned OFF.

I've got around 200 bucks to blow and I'm wondering if better RAM or a better CPU is what's next. My specs are below, if anyone can help that would be awesome

Thanks http://tpucdn.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Pablo

Galcobar November 5, 2011 04:22 PM

Not seeing any specs

Pabz0r545 November 5, 2011 04:25 PM

It appears to me you don't need any upgrades but if you have 200 to blow why not get an SSD for a boot drive? Maybe some 1600 mhz ram?

Jonesy November 5, 2011 04:28 PM

First and foremost, always look into the free ways to boost system performance. In the link below are some tweaks to speed up Win 7. While a lot of them are well known to people, it is a nice little list to make sure that you have done everything to boost performance, that you want to do.
I had done about some of the tweaks listed in there, but had missed some of the key ones. Defiantly suggest giving it a read through.

Guide * Windows 7 Ultimate Tweaks & Utilities *

akulacan November 5, 2011 04:28 PM

lol I already have 2 Agility 2 64GB SSDs in there. Boot times are pretty quick (not including post)

akulacan November 5, 2011 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonesy (Post 565210)
First and foremost, always look into the free ways to boost system performance. In the link below are some tweaks to speed up Win 7. While a lot of them are well known to people, it is a nice little list to make sure that you have done everything to boost performance, that you want to do.
I had done about some of the tweaks listed in there, but had missed some of the key ones. Defiantly suggest giving it a read through.

Guide * Windows 7 Ultimate Tweaks & Utilities *

Will do thanks. Also, what do you think of boosting the memory to 24 gigs?

stoanee November 5, 2011 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akulacan (Post 565212)

Total overkill unless you are using some really memory intensive computing. It may make a high overclock unreachable as you are adding stress to the memory controller. If you really want to upgrade ditch the 930 and get a 970. You would have a killer folding machine (you do already)....:thumb:

akulacan November 5, 2011 11:22 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. Unfortunately I got to this thread too late in the night but either way, the 970 is a bit out of reach budget wise. I opted for 24 gigs memory (2 of these Newegg.ca - Kingston HyperX 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) XMP Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3K3/12GX ) and look forward to seeing how that will work out for me.

JJThomp November 6, 2011 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akulacan (Post 565212)

Completely useless on windows 7, max memory it will use is 16gb and even then you will be hard pressed to reach it.

Also with no trim support with your HDD's in raid with your SSD's,your SSD's will degrade and slow down over time.

bkh2 November 12, 2011 11:06 PM

24 gigs of ram is completely useless in gaming. You won't see any performance increase from 12gigs to 24 gigs. Ask me how I know.

@JJThomp - I've used all 24 gigs before. What makes you say that Windows can't use more than 16? Please link the source, I could be wrong.