Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 2, 2007, 08:48 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Heh.... first chip I ever fried was an 1800..... :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old March 3, 2007, 07:35 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathspawner View Post
Haha, memories. I had a 2600XP that would muster -just- over 100MHz above stock.
:nono: it was a p1 100 to 133 overclock.
That 2000+ overclocked a whooping 240mhz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old March 3, 2007, 09:05 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
:nono: it was a p1 100 to 133 overclock.
That 2000+ overclocked a whooping 240mhz
You had a better chip than I did, haha. Was the 2000+ offered with a Barton core? I forget. I know my 2500+ was Barton, but 2600+ was not.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 3.20GHz, ASUS P5K Premium WiFi-AP, OCZ 8GB PC2-6400, EVGA GTX 285 1024MB
Seagate 500GB, 750GB & 1TB, Pioneer 22x ODD, Corsair 1000HX, Thermalright Ultra-120, CM Storm Sniper
Dell 2408WFP 24", ASUS Xonar Essence STX, Ultrasone PRO 750, Gentoo Linux (KDE 4.4, 2.6.32 Kernel)

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter

Profiles: Last.fm | Xbox Live | Steam
Old March 4, 2007, 07:03 PM
Top Prospect

It's definitely about getting as fast a computer as possible for the least amount of money. The other facet of overclocking is (as was stated earlier) to make the technology go faster than was the manufacturer's intent, making the technology perform as fast or faster than the more expensive product.

The only way to do that is to educate ourselves about the technology and how it works.

Let's face it, that education takes many many hours of reading and many more hours of trial and error to really get the most out of a system. It took me quite awhile (i.e, lots of reading) to fully understand what all the bios settings and memory timings mean - and then a whole lot of tinkering to be able to find out what actual settings work for my specific set-up (thats the fun part, lol - better than any video game, IMO)

My settings are totally different than someone else's who may have the exact same components as mine. A preset in a program or bios just won't get as high of an overclock as manually adjusting each setting and testing the results and noting the affect each setting has on the other.

I think that overclocking is now starting to be more mainstream. If your idea of a golden age is a time when only a few "hardcore" elite practiced their craft, then I think it is definitely over. I also think the golden age is over in regards to manufacturers being ignorant of the "overclockability" of their products.

However, I believe that there will always be people looking for a way to coax more out of their gear in order not to shell out their hard earned $$$. Computers are getting more and more complicated, so it will just be up to people to spend the time to educate themselves (like we did) about how to "beat the system" and get more than what they paid for.
i7-860 @ 4.2Ghz (1.33v) EVGA P55 FTW SLI (E657-A51 Bios) Thermalright ULTRA-120 Trueblack Rev.C G.Skill Ripjaws 4G DDR3-2000 Antec 850W TPQ 2xBFG GTX280 1G SLI Acer X263W 25.5" LCD Crucial C4 256G WD FAEX 1TB LG DVDRAM GH20NS10 Thermaltake Kandalf case Windows 7 Pro x64

E8400 @ 3.96Ghz (1.42v) EVGA 780i A1 (P08) ZalmanCNPS9700NT G.Skill 4G DDR2-1000 eVGA GTX280SC 1G Windows 7 Pro x64 1xSeagate Barracuda 7200.11 500G
Old March 5, 2007, 05:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekOldschool View Post
It's definitely about getting as fast a computer as possible for the least amount of money.
So given that we're more able to do this now than ever- would you concede that we are at the apex, or do you think the good ol' days are gone?
Old March 5, 2007, 07:15 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

PC's have never been easier to OC, but the old days of actually needing more skill than $$$ are long gone. Anyone can buy a PC that will pull amazing overclocks today. I for one and completely unimpressed by the "accomplishments" of the people benching and putting up "records". When it was impossible to just buy a CPU that would pull a 50% OC and you needed to do every trick in the book to get it there, that was skill. Take my PC for example. My CPU will OC over 100%. I run it 24/7 with a 80%+ OC. All it took was money. No fancy cooling, no mods and no real work. Set the frequencies and there it is. OCing is better than ever, but it is no longer only for the skilled. ANYONE that can turn on a PC can OC today and ANYONE with the money can run for hte top spots on Futuremark benches and any other benchmark.
Old March 5, 2007, 07:27 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That maybe true if you consider reaching the top of those online benchmark standings to be the universal goal of the overclocker. But even if you do look at the people on top of those lists, they are using some pretty radical cooling methods that they didn't just buy off the shelf, and while the initial performance gain is pretty easy, getting the maximum out of your system can be as challenging as you're willing to go. You say you mourn the passing of the real tweaking, and yet your set your cpu to a nice and comfy overclock without really pushing it (which is fine if you're happy with it- I am)-- It's still about performance per dollar, and while you may not be competing with the 20k 3dmark06 guys, you can chuckle to yourself that you have only spent a quarter of what they did, and you're getting better performance than any system that you can buy off the shelf- and if you want to really push it- there seem to be still plenty of innovative ways to do it without dropping a ton more cash at the hardware store.

Last edited by Babrbarossa; March 5, 2007 at 08:01 AM.
Old March 5, 2007, 08:43 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You're VERY right about hte performance per dollar. I love how my PC is really as fast as any normally cooled PC's no matter how much they spent on their X6800's. Hard to compare to the Q6x00 considering the extra cores, but I also plan on making htat jump year's end. As for their extreme cooling, you can go to XS and Extreme Overclocking Forums and find plenty of people who are willing to build you a unit that will keep up to the best and using DI and LN2 has never been easier, although definitely only for extremely advanced users. I should also point out that just because I am out of love with benchmarking doesn't mean anyone else should/would feel this way. I merely suggest that the golden age of being a 1337 overclocker are done. Kudo's to the guys that design and build these radical cooling solutions and push the envelope daily, but it just saddens me to some extent that the average Joe can easily match my benchmark scores because his $$$ got him a better CPU. If I sound like I am whining that is because I am, LOL! Anyhow, no disrespect meant to anyone anywhere and it is still overclock it until is smokes in my book.
Old March 5, 2007, 06:55 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
but it just saddens me to some extent that the average Joe can easily match my benchmark scores because his $$$ got him a better CPU. If I sound like I am whining that is because I am, LOL! Anyhow, no disrespect meant to anyone anywhere and it is still overclock it until is smokes in my book.
Don't be sad, be happy for them that they get to play too, and know in your guts that if you had your grubby little mitts on that CPU you would be able to get more out of that sucker that Average Joe Schmoe

Get satisfaction that Average Joe Schmoe has to throw down way more dollars to get the same benchmarks as you or me because we READ. Average Joe Schmoe buys all the good hardware and sets everything to AUTO - the moron!

You don't figure out the best Tref setting for your ram without spending hours of reading and tweaking and testing. Ya, sure you could use someone else's settings who have the same hardware, but that may not be what your particular system needs.

Are we at the apex - hell no! Companies are making computers specifically for overclockers now - I think were gonna see more products that allow us to screw around with them more - they cant beat us, so they must join us (to get our money)

Seems like all those C2Ds OC very well, I hope thats an indication of what the new trend is for CPUs
i7-860 @ 4.2Ghz (1.33v) EVGA P55 FTW SLI (E657-A51 Bios) Thermalright ULTRA-120 Trueblack Rev.C G.Skill Ripjaws 4G DDR3-2000 Antec 850W TPQ 2xBFG GTX280 1G SLI Acer X263W 25.5" LCD Crucial C4 256G WD FAEX 1TB LG DVDRAM GH20NS10 Thermaltake Kandalf case Windows 7 Pro x64

E8400 @ 3.96Ghz (1.42v) EVGA 780i A1 (P08) ZalmanCNPS9700NT G.Skill 4G DDR2-1000 eVGA GTX280SC 1G Windows 7 Pro x64 1xSeagate Barracuda 7200.11 500G
Old March 5, 2007, 07:34 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, I certainly don't begrudge the folks who buy a C2D and then OC it on air to get a great OC. (IMO intel did that on purpose in an attempt to bring the A64 folks back to the fold.... :) ).

I also don't concern myself with benchmarks other than as a way of figuring out performance/price points.

My biggest concern right now is that folks don't realise that an "out of the box" 50% OC is not the norm, and that they can't expect it to be the same for the next gen of procs.

A year from now, many of these same folks are going to be whining that their new proc won't do 20% let alone 50% without understanding that was the 50% OC that was abnormal and not the 20%.

If you look at the traditional evolution of a proc, the early versions seem to OC really well at a low price point, and then as the proc matures, the manufacturers release higher end chips which run as fast out of the box as the early OC'd version, but don't have a lot of head room to OC further. (Works for both CPUs & GPUs).

IMO, having to work for an OC also means that you're doing a lot of tweaking/benching/stress testing so you know at the end of it what the upper limits of your hardware are, and that your OC is stable.

Sorry... kinda rambling here....... :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP