Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/overclocking-tweaking-benchmarking/)
-   -   What TIM do you recommend? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/overclocking-tweaking-benchmarking/47791-what-tim-do-you-recommend.html)

SunTzu1983 October 30, 2011 03:07 PM

What TIM do you recommend?

What TIM do you recommend for both CPU's and GPU's. Thanks!!!

boggtrotter59 October 30, 2011 03:35 PM

I use Arctic Silver 5... works great!

MacJunky October 30, 2011 05:13 PM

I like the 30g tube of Arctic Cooling MX2 I have.(MX3 and MX4 sound a bit better as well) There is also IC Diamond sold in the HWC store if you want something even better.

jibz October 30, 2011 05:18 PM

I use to use MX2 thermal paste in the last year I've been using Noctua's NT-H1 which I really like.

Generally people are gonna tell you MX2, MX4, Arctic Silver 5, NT-H1, IC Diamond are all good products, there are a few reviews that attempt to compare pastes but to get valid results application, mounting pressure, burn in time and all the other variables would need to be controlled and even then 'rough' reviews are all pretty much within 1-2 degrees of each other.

frontier204 October 30, 2011 07:28 PM

I use Arctic Silver 5 mainly because I have a large tube of it that I won't be able to exhaust even if I use it for building PCs for the next 6 years or so :haha: I did use it on several different pieces of hardware with good results, including laptop CPUs and desktop GPU chips that had no heatspreader, as well as the typical desktop CPU.

From seeing all of those thermal paste reviews, proper application has much more effect than the type of paste itself, with the exception of cheap white grease with no brand name to speak of. You can take a paste with the best reviews, but if you put too much or too little you'll have an overheating component. That's another plus for Arctic Silver 5, since it has instructions on how to apply for different CPUs.

SunTzu1983 October 31, 2011 04:28 PM

Curious as to what opinion Linus has on the subject. Maybe he will answer in a week, or so. Busy guy there. ;)

I decided to go ahead and get some MX-4. I already have AS5, but I am overly cautious about putting AS5 on my GPU with the possibility of shorting out something. I'm sure I won't put a ridiculous amount of TIM on the GPU, to the point it will spread past the boundaries of the plate on the GPU, but better safe than sorry.

I am still interested in peoples opinions regardless of me already purchasing TIM, as well as their experiences. Thanks for the comments so far!

Oh and one last thing. I don't mean to basically put another topic in here, but I am also interested in application(ex: pea method, spread method, line method etc), and if it's true that the spread method creates air bubbles and if so, does that apply to only certain types of TIM, or all TIM? Thanks again!

gingerbee October 31, 2011 04:52 PM

mx2 30g tube or mx4 love both no curing time just spread and go great stuff

Silvgearx October 31, 2011 06:26 PM

MX-2. Very easy to clean and does the job. Any TIM will work for basic overclocking, it all comes down to the cooler.

zsamz_ October 31, 2011 07:05 PM

mx2-mx4
i hate ic7 takes the markings off the cpu

Lamb October 31, 2011 08:30 PM

I will be using MX-4 when I change my motherboard. Been using IC7, MX-2 and AS5 in the past, not much difference between them all really...comes down to price and availability imo, they'll all do a better job than than ''basic'' TIM, you'll notice a little drop in temps, but not much.