Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 28, 2011, 03:07 PM
Rookie

Default Winter overclocking endeavours

I know what you're thinking, WINTER? It's only fall... Maybe where you're too.. It's 1C here and we've already had some snow. So with my window open and my PC right next to it I'm about to do some overclocking.

What volts do you think I should be safe with? 1.7V? This Athlon X3 440 doesn't overclock very well but I would hope to get 4.0Ghz. :)

Load. It's doesn't take long to increase to 32C :p No issues with the northbridge though. I hate the fact that the Vcore ranges so much from idle to load.. I hate it set to 1.547V in the BIOS.. Time for 3.8Ghz.

Last edited by LightningJR; October 28, 2011 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Addition
Old October 28, 2011, 03:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Just go as far as your temps allow you to go. if you can cool the chip at 1.7V, heck go for it have some fun.
Old October 28, 2011, 03:30 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioneater View Post
Just go as far as your temps allow you to go. if you can cool the chip at 1.7V, heck go for it have some fun.
:D great I will. :)

Looks like the temp outside is dropping, it's 0C now :)

I got 3.8Ghz 10min Prime stable. I had to bring the memory multi down to get it. I was failing after 1-2min without it.

Now tim for 3.9Ghz

Last edited by LightningJR; October 28, 2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old October 28, 2011, 04:25 PM
Rookie

I just had a BSOD with 3.9Ghz.. I was wondering if should I worry about condensation or is it a non issue for me? I'm not sure I completely understand EXACTLY condensation forms..

Another thing I'm wondering if my vrms are getting hot operating at these voltages, they're not actively cooled. Show I point a fan at them? Idk if these temps are low enough for vrms or not.

I moved my PC in a better position by my window to keep everything on the mobo cold and i'm trying a couple other thing to see if I can get 3.9Ghz 10min Prime stable. Any suggestions welcome. :)
Old October 28, 2011, 04:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You shouldn't have to worry about much condensation. Condensation will only occur if your cpu is cooler than the air around it, since the air circulating is cold your cpu should be warmer so it's fine.
Old October 28, 2011, 04:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningJR View Post
I just had a BSOD with 3.9Ghz.. I was wondering if should I worry about condensation or is it a non issue for me? I'm not sure I completely understand EXACTLY condensation forms.. Any suggestions welcome. :)
think ice cubes in your glass full of pop on the deck table hot humid summer day

but winter is dry! will the glass sweat ? so condensation not a issue time of year

fall rainy day= wet
Old October 28, 2011, 04:36 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJThomp View Post
You shouldn't have to worry about much condensation. Condensation will only occur if your cpu is cooler than the air around it, since the air circulating is cold your cpu should be warmer so it's fine.
Thanks good to know.

Another BSOD at 3.9Ghz running Prime95. I'm at 1.7V now Let's see what temps I get. Since I moved the PC in a better position I get cooler temps on the NB and GPU. Not that the GPU temps make any difference. If this doesn't pass 10min Prime I'm gonna bring the RAM multi down again.. maybe the IMC is super weak.. We'll see.

UPDATE

Ok so there's NO WAY to make 3.9ghz stable on all 4 cores. There's a limitation on the CPU unless it's the mobo which I don't think so.. I've changed bus/multi while playing with the north/ht link multi to see if there's a more stable mixture of clocks and multi's.. I brought the vcore all the way up to 1.747V with no change in stability. I tried 1.797V but it wouldn't even load windows on that (probably mobo limitation there) I tryed ACC combinations with no success.

I brought down the cpu multi with all other settings the same. CPU was running at 3.66Ghz and it passed 10min Prime. So I knew it was the CPU speed that was limiting me. I even brought the memory multi to 1:1 still nothing. I now know the CPU's limit. No matter the core voltage or temps it will to be stable at 3.9ghz.. (unless sub zero does it)

I had an idea. I disabled the one core I unlocked to see if that core was weaker. YUP. Passed 10min 3.9ghz then. 4Ghz no such luck, but it did load windows fine just fail in Prime, I played with it a little but no luck. It seems anything above 1.65V is useless, there's no extra stability.

I go to thinking, MAYBE if I disable all but one core, what could I get?? Well 4.0Ghz was stable 10min prime, 4.1Ghz NOPE.. No amount of voltage helped to stabilize it and the temps at load was 13C I tryed 4.2Ghz but it wouldn't even load windows..

When I unlock the 4th core it gets rid of the individual core temps. When I tryed 3 cores I could see it. the temp difference is about 7C, that's a lot! :S When I was on only 1 core I was getting 6C load and 2C idle but what do you believe?

Well I'm done.. It was deff fun to play around with but an eye opener, I kind of expected a single core with the right voltage to get somewhere close to 4.5ghz but that's not the case.. I heard around the internet that AMDs CPUs loved the cold so I had some high hopes.. I guess what those ppl meant was that using ln2 and liquid helium kind of cold.

I'm gonna see if I can get more from my GPU now but not going to post it, I'm gonna do it quick. I'M FREEZING

Last edited by LightningJR; October 28, 2011 at 07:42 PM.
Old October 28, 2011, 08:21 PM
Rookie

Just some pics of what I got. It's not of idle or load. Just screenies of overclock :p

Looks like I could get 4.1Ghz on 2 cores, not just 1. No real point in going further since I could not get 4.2Ghz on 1 core.

Just some quick info. On my 4830 I usually OC to around 670Mhz core, with these temps I got 750Mhz but no serious stressing though just 100sec of occt with no artifacts. Still not too bad there could be an extra 75Mhz on the core if temps were better.