Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 26, 2008, 11:03 AM
Top Prospect

Default Over Voltage

Okay, I am kinda new to this overclocking stuff, been only doing it for the past year and a half. Most of my overclocking has been by mucking about with the FSB. I am now wanting to try my hand at over voltage. I am running a q6600 on a striker extreme MB. Anyone have any experience with Oc'ing this proc on this board? thanks
Old February 26, 2008, 11:23 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

for overclocking in general, you just have to take your time and do it step-by-step. If you've never changed your voltage, get the highest OC you can out of the fsb or multiplier first. Once the OC becomes unstable (fails prime95 or similiar stress test) then bump the voltage up Very Slowly. Im talking the smallest increment in voltage it can go up at a time (although not sure that that increment is on your motherboard). Once your system becomes stable at that overclock after bumping your voltage, stasrt again with the fsb/multiplier. Im sure I dont really have to explain any more details since pretty much everyone here will tell you the same thing and there are many threads about all this stuff.
Old February 26, 2008, 12:36 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I'll be back home later tonight - let me find my notes about the Maximus Extreme and its BIOS settings.
Old February 26, 2008, 03:45 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Forget about it - I read too fast earlier today and saw Maximus, not Striker. Not the same deal.

Looking at your sig, you are already oc'ing - but using stock voltages? Then the steps you did to raise the FSB are the same once you raise the voltage due to instability. Don't forget that there are FSB limits to a Quad - my DS3L and DS3R won't go over 425 with a 9x multi, but the DS3L can reach 490 FSB with a 8x multi. Keep that in mind.

The best advice I could give you? Learn all the options that your BIOS allows you to change. And google Striker Extreme BIOS review; read on the different sites what others were able to manage with a Q6600 on your board - this will give you an idea of what's needed.
Old February 26, 2008, 03:54 PM
Top Prospect

I've gotten some pretty good numbers from pushing the FSB, but I want to see how far I really can go with this CPU. I'm heading over to 790i Striker Extreme II soon as its released, so I figured I'd muck with this set-up and "experiment".
Old February 26, 2008, 05:38 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well then go right ahead. Got question? We may have the answer.
Old February 26, 2008, 09:21 PM
Top Prospect

Well gave it a shot, dropped the multiplier to 8 with 450 fsb. Got 3.6 but only for a few short minutes before I got a hard screeching then lock up. Had to reset the cmos. Oh well. Keep trying I guess.