Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 18, 2011, 01:43 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default New to OC'ing

Hello All!

I recently put together a new system and am interested in overclocking it a bit. It runs great, but just like any hardcore gamer with a new system, I'm looking for that extra little push. The problem I'm having is I can't find any decent benchmarking or stress-testing software for my rig that I'm comfortable with. My current rig is listed on my profile, but in short, I'm running a Gigabyte mainboard with an AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE 3.4GHz cpu and an XFX Radeon HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 card.

I'm also looking for monitoring software/apps that are compatible with the LCD screen on my G510 gaming keyboard. Any help is appreciated and Thanks in advance!
Old October 18, 2011, 02:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

AFAIK logitech software comes with CPU temperature and load apps for the G15/G510, and you can use MSI afterburner for tweaking settings and overclocking the video card, and it allows you to view temperatures and loads on your keyboard. I use prime95 for stress testing, and 3Dmark 11 for benchmarking.
Old October 18, 2011, 02:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

i use Intel burn test for cpu stability testing. It detects instability quickly, as it really stresses out your mobo and cpu.
Old October 18, 2011, 02:35 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thank you both for you quick replies! I'm currently downloading 3DMark 11, MSI Afterburner and prime95. I'll give them a try and post results when they're done downloading/installing. Thanks again!

@dandelioneater: Will Intel burn test work on an AMD CPU?
Old October 18, 2011, 03:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymork84 View Post
@dandelioneater: Will Intel burn test work on an AMD CPU?
Yes it will. You can also use another called 'OCCT' overclocking utility or something or other. AFAIK it uses the same libraries that IBT uses.(linpack)
Old October 18, 2011, 03:17 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Lots of OC'ing and benchmarking tools in the sticky: Overclocking tools of the trade

Coretemp displays temps and load percentages on G-15 / G-19 screens. I don't have a G510, but I can't see why it wouldn't.
Old October 18, 2011, 06:58 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thanks everyone for the help! MSI Afterburner and Prime95 both installed and seem to be just what I was looking for! Graphics card is OC'ed to the fullest extent, or at least as far as MSI Afterburner would let it go. Tested it with a few games and applications, all ran beautifully with increased framerates. Going to set Prime95 to run overnight tonight and see how that goes in the morning.

Also, I've been running CoreTemp with the Google Desktop Gadget "All CPU Meter", which has been working great, but started showing a straight 32C on all four cores after overclocking the CPU only a little bit. Has anyone else come across this before?
Old October 18, 2011, 07:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

make sure you run MSI kombuster or furmark for 5-10 minutes with a video card overclock to make sure you dont see any artifacts, and that your temperatures are acceptable.
Old October 18, 2011, 07:36 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

That's exactly what I did. Max temp it hit was about 60C, and I'm comfortable with that. I'll keep a close eye on it, regardless, just in case it spikes at some point. I ran MSI for about 10 minutes each time I raised the clocks (raised them about 20-25MHz each time) and didn't see any artifacts. So far, so good :D
Old October 20, 2011, 11:59 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Ran Prime95 last night for a full 12 hours without any problems being reported :). Thanks for all the help guys! I really appreciate it! Much better than the last forum I asked for overclocking help on (got trolled so hard, it would make Rumplestiltskin look lazy on the job lol).