Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 1, 2011, 08:48 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Overclocking (Just for a tad more performance)

Heya forum!

I'd like to overclock my Core i7-920 and my Corsair memory safely; I've included some images showing system information.

I'm pretty new to overclocking; but I do know I can change settings in my bios but also seen some utilities on the web such as EasyTune 6.

Not sure if this is enough information to 'help me out'.

Thanks a lot for reading, your patience and your replies! :)
Old October 1, 2011, 09:12 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

If you want to OC just a "tad" then you can pretty much just up the BCLK (maybe to 145) then boot up and run a stability test.

Raising the BCLK will overclock your CPU and ram. A higher OC would require additional tweaking than just bumping up the bclk and checking if it's stable.

The quick and dirty method to OC with be to take the bclk to 175 and the Vcore to 1.25v and see if it's stable at 3.5ghz. You might want to try it first with the ram down a multiplier as it might not like the OC.
Old October 1, 2011, 09:12 AM
Hall Of Fame

First off what are you using for a cpu cooler and what type of air flow do you have in your case?
Old October 1, 2011, 09:24 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thanks for the replies.

Jibz : I will try out later; going to watch a movie.

enaberif: Stock CPU-cooler; have 3 fans in front of the Antec case 2 on the back and 1 big boy on the top.

I will add temperature-image later on.
Old October 1, 2011, 09:28 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumoto View Post
Thanks for the replies.

Jibz : I will try out later; going to watch a movie.

enaberif: Stock CPU-cooler; have 3 fans in front of the Antec case 2 on the back and 1 big boy on the top.

I will add temperature-image later on.
Being a i7 920 I wouldn't overclock that chip without a better cooler. Those chips can run pretty warm once you start overclocking them and using a stock cooler could lead to problems fairly quick.
Old October 1, 2011, 10:00 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I think overclocking it a tad would be fine but I wouldn't touch the voltage. 2.9-3ghz on the stock cooler would probably run within reason.
Old October 1, 2011, 10:13 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Being a i7 920 I wouldn't overclock that chip without a better cooler. Those chips can run pretty warm once you start overclocking them and using a stock cooler could lead to problems fairly quick.
Couldn't agree more with you
Old October 1, 2011, 10:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Fairly good guide here:

Guide to Overclocking the Core I7 920 or 930 to 4.0ghz - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net