Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 26, 2011, 11:02 AM
Hall Of Fame

Default phenom o/c help for noobie

Hi guys, I've checked the stickies, and did a quick search, but maybe it's faster to ask, is it even worth tinkering in the bios (or possible) to try to squeeze a few more fps in the BF3 beta? My system is very old in terms of hardware lifecycles. I'm sure the cpu is bottlenecking the gpu, so it's gotta help, no? The M3A is not a fancy board, so it could be limited as far as o/c funtions.

My cpu cooler is a Sythe Mugen 2, so it should be ok for a bit more heat, I think.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old September 26, 2011, 02:11 PM
Banned

The cpu is more then definately bottlenecking the gpu especialy when you factor in nvidia drivers are also cpu clock dependant on there preformance. You honestly should have looked at a cpu/board/ram upgrade before a videocard one. Even a cheap Athlon II X3 cpu would give you more preformance then a old phenom 1 X4 which I believe is a 2.6 ghz chip if i remember correctly ?
Old September 26, 2011, 02:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

It's running at 2.3ghz stock. But yeah, cpu, ram, mobo upgrade is next on the list. I've never heard of nvidia drivers being cpu dependent.
Old September 26, 2011, 03:37 PM
Banned

What M3A is it btw cause some of them are capable of Phenom/Athlon II's on them ?

And not shure if i can say tom's hardware on here or not .... but a couple years back they did a breakdown on the nvidia & ati drivers in relation to platform preformance. They took a core 2 duo cpu with 4 gigs ram system, ran the same i think top tier ati & nvidia card from the time & they ran i think a few video benches/fraps runs at i think the mainstream resolution at the time of 1600x1200 ... The ati card as the cpu clock scaled up never changed in preformance always giving maximum framerates other then a few percentages. BUT when the nvidia card was in the same system & the clocks started to scale up they noticed the cards preformance as well started to scale up as well.

This came up for debate by them cause there own review staff as well as users on there forum was noticing how users with the same nvidia card but with a faster or slower system of same parts/specs would report it as having higher or lower preformance again based on there clock speed.
Old September 26, 2011, 05:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

As far as I know most modern are pretty cpu depend.

Its a shame that m3a don't support Phenom II. And since you already have a good cpu cooler, try to aim for a 10%-20% overclock. It should be easy to achieve.
Old September 27, 2011, 08:06 AM
Hall Of Fame

Hmm, ok, still a bit confused, but I'll see what's in the bios next weekend. I haven't tried the mobo software that came on the cd, maybe it's easier or is it just bloatware? I know it's got that cool n quiet stuff, and something about underclocking when idle...not sure about that.
Old September 27, 2011, 09:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Unless I am mistaken, it does say it supports a Phenom II X3 715, but that the only Athlon II or Phenom II it supports which makes no sens to me. I'd actually try to contact Asus to get a better idea about it because you could really go a big upgrade by going with a used Phenom II or Athlon II CPU.
Old September 27, 2011, 10:26 AM
Hall Of Fame

Yeah I thought about that Kilauea, but I think I might be maxed out on the wattage for the board. My cpu needs 95w and the M3A says 95 is max.
ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Motherboards- ASUS M3A
Old September 27, 2011, 01:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by On2wheels View Post
Yeah I thought about that Kilauea, but I think I might be maxed out on the wattage for the board. My cpu needs 95w and the M3A says 95 is max.
ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Motherboards- ASUS M3A
Actually I think that any Phenom II X3 or Athlon II (up to X4) will be 95w or less. The only exceptions will be the Phenom II X4 or higher, unless they are the e versions (which I would not get in your case).
Old September 27, 2011, 02:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

Did you look up the cpu support? I thought my 9650 was near the top model I could get for it?