Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 14, 2011, 10:50 PM
Rookie

Default EK H30 VS heatsinks? (NH-D14)

hey guys, im curious I have the Cooler Master V10 Heatsink, and was wanting to improve my cooling a little bit, so im more comfortable at 4.2ghz.

I was looking at the EK H30 Supreme HF 360, is the H30 better than all heatsinks? and start WC kit's?
Ek H30 Supreme HF 360 EN Advanced Liquid Cooling Kit (EK-KIT H3O - Supreme HF 360 EN) - FrozenCPU.com

is it better than any heatsink? is the $300 money worth spending, or is there something better for a starter kit
keep in mind im new, and im thinking about the EK H30 because it is a full kit decent reviews, basically has everything you need right down to a detailed manual.

can anyone think of anything better for a noob to OC/Watercooling?
Old September 14, 2011, 11:07 PM

My System Specs

water-cooling is honestly never worth the price if you just want lower temps. However if you like it as a hobby then it definitely is.

The EK kit is a good starter kit. Just not sure it is worth it over the XSPC Rasa RS240 kit, which is like $100 less.
Old September 15, 2011, 06:32 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Get yourself an H100 and call it a day ... mine is keeping my 2600k ~60C at 4.8GHz, and has been folding pretty much 24/7 since I installed it a month ago.
Old September 15, 2011, 11:21 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
water-cooling is honestly never worth the price if you just want lower temps. However if you like it as a hobby then it definitely is.

The EK kit is a good starter kit. Just not sure it is worth it over the XSPC Rasa RS240 kit, which is like $100 less.

thanks for the replies, I looked at the Rasa and it is nice for its price, but the rasa kit has cheaper parts, and does not come with a nice manual for WC noobs like me although im sure its not that difficult with a Kit.
another reason is the Rasa is harder to bleed from what i hear.

Price is not really the issue, although im not rich. I just am looking for "The Best" WC noob kit available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyups View Post
Get yourself an H100 and call it a day ... mine is keeping my 2600k ~60C at 4.8GHz, and has been folding pretty much 24/7 since I installed it a month ago.
As for the H100, it is a fairly nice product, but the H-series has never impressed me, except for this H100.
Not to mention that the H-series is not even real water cooling, its like a WC/heatsink hybrid.
I've heard of a few people have problems with the H100, and i find the rest of the H-series to be garbage when you compare WC units to top of the line Heatsinks like NH-D14

I'd rather spend 2x more, and get a unit that is true water cooling, and isnt extremly loud when you put it on high, which the H100 is.

Thanks for your suggestion though, I do appreciate it.
Old September 15, 2011, 11:34 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

The differences between the various water blocks is not that large anymore. Couple degrees at the most. Same with most rads (couple exceptions...but even then its not a HUGE dif).

IF you compare a H60 to a single bay rad and custom loop the dif is not going be that large.

If you compare a single thickness / 25mm dual bay rad custom loop to a H100...the dif is not that large and sure as shit NOT two hundred bucks worth of difference. This is not like the old days where custom == much better temps. I actually really, really like the new Hydro kit. I love the H80 and think for a dual bay sealed unit the h100 is pretty good.

As for its "not a real WC unit" quote.... congrats you are new to water cooling and already you have the snobbery down pat. :/

Who gives a rat ass if its "true" water. IT works, its easy and its easy to tune to your needs. Its the same BS that AMD fanbois got on with back when the first Intel Quad came out (claiming it wasnt a "true" quad).

IF you want the best...sure spend the extra coin. Just dont expect it to be "OMFG" better.

YMMV

if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer. - Dr. MLK jr
Old September 15, 2011, 11:54 AM
Top Prospect

You can save $13 below. If you are in Canada you should buy form dazmode.

EK-KIT H3O - Supreme HF 360 Water Cooling Kit - EN (Nickel) Products Model: EK-KIT-H3O-HF360-EN [EK-KIT-H3O-HF360-EN] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come

The only reason to go with a full watercooling loop IMO is if you get you gpu under water. If it is simply cpu, then the H100 is good enough. Not only that, but you really don't need a 360 rad for cpu only.
Old September 15, 2011, 09:27 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
The differences between the various water blocks is not that large anymore. Couple degrees at the most. Same with most rads (couple exceptions...but even then its not a HUGE dif).

IF you compare a H60 to a single bay rad and custom loop the dif is not going be that large.

If you compare a single thickness / 25mm dual bay rad custom loop to a H100...the dif is not that large and sure as shit NOT two hundred bucks worth of difference. This is not like the old days where custom == much better temps. I actually really, really like the new Hydro kit. I love the H80 and think for a dual bay sealed unit the h100 is pretty good.

As for its "not a real WC unit" quote.... congrats you are new to water cooling and already you have the snobbery down pat. :/

Who gives a rat ass if its "true" water. IT works, its easy and its easy to tune to your needs. Its the same BS that AMD fanbois got on with back when the first Intel Quad came out (claiming it wasnt a "true" quad).

IF you want the best...sure spend the extra coin. Just dont expect it to be "OMFG" better.

YMMV
Hey I didnt mean to offend you, im just saying what i have heard about the product from respectable reviewers, dont get me wrong it was awarded as a great product, I'm just looking for something with better performance for cooling, and sound. not to mention eye appeal. I made my case, and would like water cooling. see below, you'll understand.
PC Modded Desk - Amazing Upgrade - YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by NI3 View Post
You can save $13 below. If you are in Canada you should buy form dazmode.

EK-KIT H3O - Supreme HF 360 Water Cooling Kit - EN (Nickel) Products Model: EK-KIT-H3O-HF360-EN [EK-KIT-H3O-HF360-EN] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come

The only reason to go with a full watercooling loop IMO is if you get you gpu under water. If it is simply cpu, then the H100 is good enough. Not only that, but you really don't need a 360 rad for cpu only.
that's just it, i would eventually like to add on to the kit with a gpu block or build one with what i learned from the kit, thanks I'll use the savings.

should i get copper, or go for the nickle? i read somewhere the nickle flakes off in time, is this true?
if so, is it the same for copper? probably not since the copper is solid?

Last edited by Keep-six; September 15, 2011 at 09:37 PM.