Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/overclocking-tweaking-benchmarking/)
-   -   safe threshold for air OC'ing (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/overclocking-tweaking-benchmarking/4536-safe-threshold-air-ocing.html)

Mr. Cipher February 10, 2008 10:33 AM

safe threshold for air OC'ing

I currently run my e2180 @ 3.4ghz (340mhz x 10) with 1.4325v, with load temps of ~ 53/54.

I joined up with HWBOT and realized that my system, although decent for an air-rig, completely sucks in comparison.

Now I want to pump this bad boy up to 3.6-3.8 if possible, and was wondering what I should watch out for, having an air cooling system. Is there any way this is possible without WC or anything higher, and barring any unforeseen circumstances (man that brings back good half-life memories), have this rig not die out within a week?

(I am guessing that voltage doesn't matter whatever kind of cooling you have, the more of it going to the CPU, the shorter the lifespan)

Thanks everyone.

enaberif February 10, 2008 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Cipher (Post 39972)
I currently run my e2180 @ 3.4ghz (340mhz x 10) with 1.4325v, with load temps of ~ 53/54.

I joined up with HWBOT and realized that my system, although decent for an air-rig, completely sucks in comparison.

Now I want to pump this bad boy up to 3.6-3.8 if possible, and was wondering what I should watch out for, having an air cooling system. Is there any way this is possible without WC or anything higher, and barring any unforeseen circumstances (man that brings back good half-life memories), have this rig not die out within a week?

(I am guessing that voltage doesn't matter whatever kind of cooling you have, the more of it going to the CPU, the shorter the lifespan)

Thanks everyone.

Problem with air cooling is that the air cooler you use is only going to work upto a certain TDP and after that it won't cool anymore and your gonna cook your chip.

For example my e8400 on a U120X with a 120x38mm fan @ 4.2-4.3ghz will hit a temp of 72 under load and I know for this cpu and air cooler combo any higher and I need a different type of cooling.

Basically it comes down to voltage and the cooler. More voltage will end up killing the processor faster, but heat will will kit it even quicker.

Just make sure which ever cooler you use can sustain the high temps.

tzetsin February 10, 2008 12:01 PM

what i might suggest.... its kindof like cheating but hey, we have to put up with the cold in canada, might as well make it usefull... of course, this suggestion is for benchmarking only get yourself some 4 inch dryer ducting, situate your computer close to a window, stick one end of the duckting into the slightly open window, the other end up against your hsf (watch out for the fan!!) overclock the bejesus out of your system, lots of pics post and happy bragging rights lol. everyone knows that posted OC at the highest settings are never 24/7 setups. I was able to oc past 4ghz with my Q6600 and only my zalman 9500 quite stable enough for benchmarking. Wear a coat, it gets really chilly sitting for an hour beside an open window ;)

Mr. Cipher February 10, 2008 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tzetsin (Post 39987)
Wear a coat, it gets really chilly sitting for an hour beside an open window ;)

Hahaha I love that idea. Well I guess that if we're comparing e-peens on hwbot, I might as well do what I can. It seems that it pays to be Canadian sometimes!

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 39973)
Problem with air cooling is that the air cooler you use is only going to work upto a certain TDP and after that it won't cool anymore and your gonna cook your chip.

I thought Intel's TDP were lower than the actual max, to give a margin of safety? Either way I wouldn't want to go past the TDP rated for my CPU.

On that note, how do I know if my CPU is drawing up to the 65 watts it is rated for the TDP? I am unsure how to calculate this. Right now I am at 10x350mhz @ 1.431v (I will be looking this up right after too), and how do I know the TDP the TRUX120 is meant to handle? I've read many reviews that give differing answers without a consensus...

Thanks!

Prof. Dr. Silver February 10, 2008 06:57 PM

Boy Oh Boy! There is NO SUCH THING as a threshold for safe(????) OC'ing!!! GO FOR IT.....blast that rig of yours!!!

To increase the size of your e-peen, you'll do whatever it takes right? I put my entire rig outside on my balcony last year and I managed to push my CPU to 4.5GHz! It froze -20 that day and the CPU managed to get that chilly as well. Your ram and GPU will love it too.....just make sure the wind can blow over/through your rig to eliminate condensation. Take the side panels off. Great for running benchies!

Also make sure you insolate/cover up your HDD's (also defrag them) because HDD's hate cold temps! And when you're ready shut down your rig....take it inside and let it heat up to room temp first before you turn it on! GOOD LUCK....and take some pics!

Babrbarossa February 10, 2008 07:32 PM

Quote:

I currently run my e2180 @ 3.4ghz (340mhz x 10) with 1.4325v, with load temps of ~ 53/54..

Hey- great OC for that chip-- most of the fun is turning a low-end chip into a high end chip and you've done all that and a bag of chips

BALISTX February 10, 2008 07:39 PM

Quote:

Thanks everyone.

The biggest thing is to watch your temps. The nice thing with the E2180 is your 10x multi.

Ugly n Grey February 10, 2008 09:32 PM

BTW if you really want to do that air ducting trick, you use the small blower motor off a wood furnace (draft inducer blower) to pump the cold air directly into the case from outside via the vent pipe. It works like a charm..... and DAMN there's nothing like -40c to bench a rig just make sure the computer is on and warm, preferably under load so you don't freeze anything important (like capacitors or the wicking in your heat pipes). after you are done, unplug the computer first then turn off the blower and don't turn the computer back on again until you are sure there's no condensation on anything critical. I've done it at least a 100 times with no problems and it's the cheapest way to bench there is. Problems with marginal OC's due to heat suddenly dissapear under the onslaught of cold artic ar..... you can compete head on with some of the entry level cooling systems out there with those air temps moving fast.

Mecher February 12, 2008 11:05 AM

You guys are nuts!!:thumb: But it is going to go down to -32 tonight here in Winnipeg... hmmm, I can just see my wife's face...:shok: and then the gas bill...:rtfm:

Mr. Cipher February 13, 2008 02:06 PM

I have since given up pushing past 3.4ghz. My system just does not want to do it. I tried up to 1.45v, +0.2v (g)MCH, +0.1v FSB to try and get it to run 3.5ghz stable, and it did load into windows without a problem. It unsettled me, especially since F@H would crash the system after a few hours on +0.1 gmch/fsb. I guess it isn't a matter of how far my hardware threshold is, but rather how far my own appetite for destroying my hardware is!

At any rate, I did not feel comfortable going past 1.45v. Like Babr said, 70% overclock really places this chip far above what it can operate otherwise, and I will leave it at that. One day though, I will get this to 3.6 on air.