Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/overclocking-tweaking-benchmarking/)
-   -   New to this Asus Crosshair 4 Formula (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/overclocking-tweaking-benchmarking/45285-new-asus-crosshair-4-formula.html)

Jaydu July 31, 2011 08:56 AM

New to this Asus Crosshair 4 Formula

Well last night I made a pot of coffee and got down to overclocking my PC, this is my set up.

CPU: amd 955BE
mobo: Asus Crosshair 4 Forumla
ram: Corsair Dominator 2x2g 1600 1.65v 9-9-9-24

So I got it to 3.7 stable or 1.42volts and my temps where 49 under load but when I went to go alittle further with my FSB I would get BSOD no matter what I would try. My ram seems to not like to run at anything but either 1333 or 1600 other then those settings I get a BSOD

So my question is would this be an issue with my ram or am I just being unreasonable with my clock speed and I should be happy with what I have?
If its my ram what ram would be good to OC'ed suggestions would be amazing

I would really appreciate any help/advice

Prolab August 2, 2011 12:08 PM

See if you can bump up the voltage a bit and see if that helps on your OC.

But sometimes, its just the limit of the CPU. I have the first revisions of BE 965 - and i can tell you, i can OC to 3.9 no problem. But when it comes to 4+, it BSOD. Every. Single time.

A quick search on google and its just a limitation of the first revisions.

francisw19 August 2, 2011 12:27 PM

When you overclocked your CPU to 3.7GHz, did you get there by just the CPU multiplier (i.e. using 16.5 multi) or did you raise the FSB? When you raise the FSB, your RAM speed will increase aswell since they are linked. So, if you have your RAM divider set to DDR3-1600 in the BIOS, raising the FSB will push your RAM past 1600MHz which may lead to the BSODs if your RAM can't handle the increased speed.

Also, agreed with Prolab too...I used to run a 955BE (C2) on the CH4 board and I had alot of difficulty getting past 3.8ish. If your 955BE is the newer C3 revision, you should be able to get past 3.7GHz, though. The C3 chips are pretty good clockers for the AMD side.

Jaydu August 5, 2011 10:15 PM

thanks well my temps have been going through the room so, might need to upgrade my cooler before i get anymore out of this little baby. getting it stable has been really tough but this is really new to me. I think my ram really is not the best for ocing so looking to upgrade my 2x2g to 2x4 1866, does the Asus Crosshair 4 formula handle 2000 well, these are what I am looking to swap up to Newegg.ca - CORSAIR DOMINATOR GT 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Desktop Memory with Airflow Fan Model CMT8GX3M2A2000C9 what do you guys think?

supaflyx3 August 5, 2011 11:11 PM

Try raising the multi and putting your voltage to 1.47.

Jaydu August 7, 2011 08:45 PM

from what I have red is that the 955be voltage limit is 1.45 (max voltage) I figured going over that would just cause more of a problem