Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 8, 2008, 01:12 PM
Rookie

Default Overclocking past 3.0 Ghz and Gaming...

So I've read in a number of different places (I don't remember where off the top of my head, but could probably find them if necessary) that gaming performance isn't affected much by a processor overclocked past 3 ghz, even using crossfire/SLI configurations. How serious do your GPUs have to be to bottleneck a processor at 3 ghz?

Discuss!
Old February 8, 2008, 01:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Not too sure. But yesterday I turned my OC down to 3.1 from 3.2, and removed one of my GTX's, and my Crysis FPS went up.....yes, UP.

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old February 8, 2008, 01:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

i really think that depends on how much the game depends on raw processing power. Flight simulator X thrives on it and i can definatly tell the difference between 3 ghz and 3.8, and between having 2 cores vs 4. That said, RTS games would probly also benifit from better processing power, but FPS games wich rely more on graphics than cpu probly wouldnt see as much benifit.

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0
Old February 8, 2008, 01:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptn Vortex View Post
Not too sure. But yesterday I turned my OC down to 3.1 from 3.2, and removed one of my GTX's, and my Crysis FPS went up.....yes, UP.
That could be due to bad SLI support or bad SLI drivers though.

Teletraan I: Asus P5K-E/WIFI, E4500, 2 GB RAM, ATI 3450, Sapphire Theatrix, 2.25TB storage, Antec SP2 400w

Galvatron: Asus M2NPV-VM, 3800+ X2, 2GB RAM, NV8500GT, Seasonic 500w

Tracks: Acer AS5920, C2D 2.1ghz 45nm, 3GB DDR2, NV8600m GT, 250gb hdd

Hound: Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S, AMD 4400+ X2, 1 GB RAM, 2900XT, 500w Seasonic

My Heatware!
| Got RMA? Tell us your experience! | VOIP Help? PM ME!
Old February 8, 2008, 03:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I agree with tzetsin, I have seen CPU scaling benches on Crysis and there isn't a lot of difference between a E6700 and a QX9650, running similar setups with the same GPU, on a game like Crysis. Clearly it's all about the GPU in that shooter and likely all the others. But something like SupCom will definitely take advantage of an OC'd CPU and more cores. Check out some benches here.

[H] Enthusiast - SupCom & Intel Core 2 Quad Gameplay Advantages

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old February 8, 2008, 03:40 PM
Rookie

I suppose its always difficult to make assumptions about different pieces of hardware because they are utilized differently by the software we are running.
Old February 8, 2008, 04:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

i think its pretty safe to say that when a new piece of technology comes out ie dual/quad cores, sli, 64bit.... the current software wont take advantage of it, but the software of tomorrow will require it. It always takes some time for the software developers to wrap there head around different coding tactics to utilize each new technology efficiently. So to make a blanket statement "Games see no benifit from (insert technology here)" may be true at the time of statement, but will quickly become false as the software catches up with the times.

Just think of this scenario, lest say there was a level in crysis where there were 5000 koreans fighting 5000 aliens all at the same time all shooting guns and exploding rockets, dirt flying trucks racing around, aliens flying around, trees getting knocked down, water splashing all over the place.... this would be a wicked scene to watch and participate in, and with multiple cored processors it IS possible, but because the technology is new, and the software designers either cant code for it tactfully yet or dont bother because too many gamers still have low end rigs you wont see it for quite a while. So its not just the simulation games and the RTS games that can benifit from the torque a multi core cpu can give you, its just a matter of time before all games and applications will benifit from it. Software designers just need time to adapt and come up with new coding strategys. Also they need to see the population as a whole HAVING the technology they want to impliment... it wouldnt make sense for them to design a program that NEEDS multicore sli and 64 bit to run, because too many users are simply not in a position to upgrade their computers as regularly as we do.

vista 64 on these rigs
Old February 8, 2008, 04:17 PM
MVP
F@H

I find it kind of sad how we never seem to get the full benefit of our hardware, unless we wait and play every game 2 years late.

Have you guys tried playing older games on these new gpus? You can max the graphics, the res, the AA, and still get amazing framerates, and in some cases it transforms the game. It's like the game is finally being played as it was intended to.

I'm afraid by the time they get DX10.1 working well, we'll be trying to play dx12 games on our dx10 hardware, and struggling with bad framerates, no aa, low resolutions, etc. Essentially reducing the game to much less than it is intended to be. And we won't be interested in DX10 games, because we've all played them already, last year, on our dx9 hardware.

To remedy this, they would have to keep the new technology in the industry as software is developed to handle it to its full extent. But we are greedy and want everything before its ready. I actually try to hold certain games off until I have good enough hardware to really rock it. I never booted crysis until I got my dx10 card, and I'm really glad I waited, although at the same time I should have waited another year lol. Fuggin crysis.
Old February 8, 2008, 04:23 PM
Allstar

I am cheap so I usually buy games when they hit the $20 or less mark, the other nice side effect of this is I can run it at maaaaaaax settings and it looks great on my x1950pro
Old February 8, 2008, 04:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

You've got a very good point, but unfortunatly if we didnt have that "carrot" in our face, what would we bother to upgrade for? Most of the time the hardware exists to run any new game at its max, unfortunatly the hardware is usually new and expensive... I want to throw something out there that i want everybody to think about for a while.... you see all these new fps games that demand the biggest and best hardware, and we keep buying, but there will become a point (soon i think) where the graphics on a game are going to be pretty well as good as there going to get... then what? Now look at nintendo.... there is no way in hell nintendo can keep up hardware wise to sony and microsoft, so why is it that no one can EVER find a wii for sale? they're always sold out??? why is nintendo so much more popular than both the ps3 and the 360? Thay actually relised that allthough a game should "look" good, "looking good" isnt #1 important. gameplay is, so while we all salivate over crysis and cod4 because the graphics kick major @$$ the actuall "gameplay" is... pretty much the same we saw from DOOM. with a few nano suit gimiks thrown in for variety. of course the story is important too. but really, there will be a time very soon in the future where these software companys are going to stall their idea that graphics are whats important, then at that time your going to see a golden age of truely fun games, with good graphics/storys/gameplay... simply because a software title wont be able to rely on cutting edge anything to sell it. Look at nintendo and see the future boys.

vista 64 on these rigs