Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 6, 2008, 12:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default Tweaking Task Manager

Here's a few shots of Task Manager, before and after shutting down unnecessary processes. There are lots of opportunities to cut down on/or to tweak XP, but I must say this site is probably my favorite.

Warning: For people that do not need these tweaks...I (or HWC for that matter) do not recommend that you use them. I am only suggesting these to the people that are interested in super-duper-over-the-top-mega-toptop benchmark scores!

Before and after:

My system is actually not tweaked at the moment....but if I would...It would result in less memory usage and faster response times on your rig!!

Ps. Psp.exe is NOT my PlayStation....it would be Paint Shop Pro that I use for screenshots! So that and taskmanager would also come of the list! Leaving you with 15 processes and 169 Mb of mem usage?? Not bad ey?
Old February 6, 2008, 04:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Heres mine ;)

All un neccessary services and programs are shut down for startup. MSCONFIG is your friend :D

Name:  Taskmanager.jpg
Views: 1122
Size:  54.2 KB

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0
Old February 6, 2008, 04:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

You guys need to quit using msconfig and learn to properly setup the computer.

I wish msconfig simply did not exist in windows.
Old February 6, 2008, 05:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

msconfig is fast and easy to use. i love it. i'm too lazy to track down all the crap these bloated junk programs i have to have on my pc to be able to do what i got to do down to set them to not run at startup. And as far as my experience goes i've had absolutely zero adverse effects while using it. But i can see a potential for huge problems with msconfig in ignorant hands wich could be a nightmare for system admins. fortunatly though for admins msconfig can be deleted. And fortunatly for repair shops most problems related to msconfig are easily reversible, so its easy money.

vista 64 on these rigs
Old February 6, 2008, 05:15 PM
MVP

It's worth checking the CPU time column, for processes that only add up to 10 seconds of CPU time after days of uptime, only a bit of ram is being saved by turning them off; there isn't going to be any performance difference unless you're running out of ram anyway.

FWIW, you can always shut down explorer.exe, and just run stuff from the task manager, if you really feel like it, or there are alternate, leaner shells available for Windows.

And those are some ugly jpeg artifacts, you guys would probably get smaller images without the artifacts as pngs. ;)
Old February 6, 2008, 05:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I use Autoruns to help me out with the start up items as opposed to msconfig. I am no process Nazi, I have 24 processes running, I could probably nuke ctfmon. Maybe a couple others too, but I figure I'll probably start it up anyways might as well be at boot time? My boot time from power button to usable desktop is way under a minute... not really sure how far under but I can check later tonight. I basically use a "Level 2" of services enabled according to this page TweakHound's Super XP Tweaking Guide - Services

I also have a wallpaper and an XP theme which just modifies the Luna msstyles stuff using the dll hack. No crazy window blinds or resource intensive themes.

One thing I hate is QuickTime and/or iTunes. How is it Apple software wants to take over a Windows machine from a simple update.. grrrr. I don't update QT till I absolutely have to for this reason. Each update requires a whole bunch of steps to get the darn thing under control afterwards

All in all I use about 220MB Ram at idle IIRC. Not too bad considering I have 2GB so I am not worried. My machine is snappy and fit all the time. I keep it pretty lean and mean, not keeping unused apps around, using CCleaner and defraging after installs/uninstalls.

I think there's more to an optimized machine than just eliminating processes. If you need stuff enabled so you can do your work then there's no point in disabling that process just to get a fast boot time or 100MB of resource usage at idle.

Just my $0.02 :)

EDIT:

Oh and I forgot to mention it (and I have to cuz everyone that sees it comments) I have 1 desktop icon... my recycle bin. Looks like tzetsin is the same as me? I keep mydocs, mycomp and other needed stuff in my Quick launch bar and a custom toolbar on the taskbar. My Mac has 2 HD icons.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE

Last edited by Thund3rball; February 6, 2008 at 05:41 PM.
Old February 6, 2008, 09:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

lol sorry dude, the reason you see no icons on my desktop is becuase my desktop is such a fricken disaster area that i'd be embarassed to post it for the world to see ;D so i turn off the show desktop icons when i make a screenshot ;)

vista 64 on these rigs
Old February 6, 2008, 09:33 PM
F@H

My System Specs

run / services.msc is your friend for turning off all useless XP services.... :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old February 6, 2008, 10:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzetsin View Post
lol sorry dude, the reason you see no icons on my desktop is becuase my desktop is such a fricken disaster area that i'd be embarassed to post it for the world to see ;D so i turn off the show desktop icons when i make a screenshot ;)
Cheater! ;)

Look here's mine... 23 processes not 24, 227MB and one icon.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE