Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 29, 2011, 06:36 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default 6950 an Gelid Icy Vision cooler

I have just ordered my Gelid Icy Vision vga cooler and it there seems a kit that needs to be put on the vrm. I am using the non reference xfx 6950 xxx oc'd edition but the one without the nice heatsink. It does however have a custom heatsink on the vrm. This is a picture of it.

Think it should be good with out having to spend the 12 dollars on their vrm heatsink?
Old June 29, 2011, 07:17 PM
Banned
F@H

if enough air passes thru those fins? yes. no? puff the magic dragon!
Old June 29, 2011, 09:59 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
if enough air passes thru those fins? yes. no? puff the magic dragon!
ok scary, So if I am looking at gpu-z of the two VRM temps which one is most important. Is there a different max temp for them then the card?
Old June 29, 2011, 10:11 PM
Banned
F@H

im not sure how much they can take for prolonged periods. i would try to keep them at 60 or lower,but chances are they will probably
normally run hotter than that.
Old June 29, 2011, 11:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You're going to have to research the mosfets yourself since it's a non reference card. (Google the part number) They're typically capable of withstanding up to 105c temps, but XFX is one of the many companies that cheap out on certain areas of their non reference models. I would aim to keep temps under 85c.
Old June 30, 2011, 06:59 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Sounds like a plan. the cooler should be here today and I will Google the part number when I take off the case. They are idling around 45 at the moment.
Old June 30, 2011, 10:48 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I got the VRM upgrade kit for my reference 6950 from Gelid, it seems to do a decent job as my VRM does a max of 50C on load and I've got the core clocked at 950, memory at 1450, and I'm pushing 1.175mV to the core.
Seems to do a pretty good job.

The only concern I have is with the single little VRM closer to the back of the card since the heatsink provided doesn't seem to stick well because the VRM's surface area is so small.

Other than that, the Gelid does a good job, it's not super silent like the AC products, but when gaming you can't hear the thing at all. I also have it hooked up to my case's fan controller to keep it silent when not gaming.
Old July 4, 2011, 08:47 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

The cooler didn't arrive until today and My vrm heatsink is way to big. I guess I will have to get the upgrade kit from Ebay. Arg, I hate waiting.
Old July 4, 2011, 01:45 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tianfeng View Post
The cooler didn't arrive until today and My vrm heatsink is way to big. I guess I will have to get the upgrade kit from Ebay. Arg, I hate waiting.
I had to get the same kit from eBay, should only take a week or two as it did for me (coming from Hong Kong).

I got mine because the original had compatibility issues with GTX 470s, never tested to see if it was true so I waited until I got the kit to install it. The results were remarkable :D

How are you with fan noise? The fans that come with the cooler are very annoying, they have a high pitch & whine noise. I bought 2 92MM Arctic Cooling fans and strapped them onto the heatsink, temperatures went up about 2c but the fans are running at half the speed.
Old July 4, 2011, 02:07 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark-Colonel View Post
I had to get the same kit from eBay, should only take a week or two as it did for me (coming from Hong Kong).

I got mine because the original had compatibility issues with GTX 470s, never tested to see if it was true so I waited until I got the kit to install it. The results were remarkable :D

How are you with fan noise? The fans that come with the cooler are very annoying, they have a high pitch & whine noise. I bought 2 92MM Arctic Cooling fans and strapped them onto the heatsink, temperatures went up about 2c but the fans are running at half the speed.
That's why I hooked up mine to my fan controller, so when I'm just browsing or whatever they're on low and are quiet, but when gaming and on high, they can't be heard over the game.