Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 4, 2011, 08:57 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Well I just hope they sound better than the one that i have now. For 30 bucks i figures it was worth a shot. When i took the case of the card today i noticed I had a bios switch. How do those work anyway? I have the shaders unlocked but when i switched positions it didn't go back to 1408 from 1536.

Well I guess I will just be waiting to see the sound and temps after i get the vrm heatsink. I thought about cutting down the fins on my so it would fit but that would probably make to sell when I want to get rid of it.
Old July 5, 2011, 07:29 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

It'll be much quieter than the stock, that's for sure.
The BIOS switch is simple, 1 means you can flash it, 2 is the stock BIOS which is non flashable.
Old July 5, 2011, 03:00 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Whatever you do donít use the VRM heat sink they give you, itís not good enough!

My 6950 2 GB died a day after installing this new cooler....Id never buy a Gelid again.

I blame Gelid because at the time i got that cooler (before the new VRM sink came out) it stated on their site that this cooler was compatible with the 6950....obviously it was not good enough for cooling the VRM and thatís why they then brought out the new VRM kit.

Why they are still charging extra for the kit is unbelieveble, it should be included in the new revision of the cooler!
Old July 5, 2011, 03:02 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I don't recall them ever stating it was compatible with the 6950.
I know I had reached out to them a while back and asked before they announced the upgrade and they said that it would be compatible only if I used another brand's VRM heatsinks.

The cooler has been doing very well for me since installing it and my VRMs never seem to go over 50C under load and my card is fairly overclocked too.
Old July 15, 2011, 06:40 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

so just to update. I got the heat sink from Hk but it didn't fit either. I am not using a reference board so I guess I should have expected that. I took the old vrm heat sink, cut and ground it down, so it will now fit under the cooler. It took and while and i wish I had some pics but no camera. After i finished it booted up and it is idling at about 38 and mid 50's on load. I have to say that is a big improvement. Also the vrm temps are about 10 degrees cooler than stock as well.

The only complaint I have is that I have to manually adjust the fan speed by linking it to my motherboard and goign through bios. At 75% it is quieter and ther is no effect on the temperatures. Even though I wasted 10 bucks shipping for the useless upgrade package, in the end it was still a good purchase. overclocked it runs nice and cool without the noise.
Old July 15, 2011, 09:18 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I suppose your non ref card is different enough as the upgrade kit worked perfect on my reference 6950.
I'm with you on the noise levels which is why I have it connected to my case's fan controller and when I'm not gaming it's on the lowest setting, when I game I just move to medium or high and it keeps the card nice and cool and i can't hear it over the game's audio at that point.