Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 22, 2011, 12:03 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default A6-3400m overclocking

Ordered a cheap laptop for work and its got An a6-3400m with a 6250 gpu onboard. Now my employeris a stickler for old ass specs and won't budge on them. They require a 3ghz cpu (p4/celeron lol) and fail to understand multicore processing or modern architwcture. Is it possible to clock 2 cores to 3ghz via AOD and shut 2 cores off.
Old June 22, 2011, 03:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If they really know that little just tell them it is 3.0 ghz... Overclocking laptops is not recommended even if you disable two cores because the other two cores will still be way too hot.

I wouldn't bump it much past a 200 mhz overclock.

Also why not just explain to them that this computer's processor will be much much faster?
Old July 9, 2011, 02:37 PM
Trial Member

Default how to deal with b.s. admin

OP

What are you talking about? I don't understand the problem here.

You have a 6.4 GHz processor so you have complied with the 3GHz minimum. (When all four cores are on continuously they are @ 1.6GHz.)

If you fill out any paperwork that's how you should write it up.
Old July 10, 2011, 10:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Is this about a program that won't start if it detects clock speeds are too low? You don't want to overclock anything just for something like that - a laptop is usually not overclockable and even if you find a way you won't be able to get more than 10% or so without making something unstable. Trick the dumb software if possible.

If this is about dumb management, then continue telling them to buy Pentium D processors