Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old June 20, 2011, 05:50 AM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 197

My System Specs

Default Spin down fans completely on VGA coolers

So with alot of video cards these days coming with bulked heatsinks and standard 2d modes and power phases, i was wondering whether its possible to completely deactivate a graphics cards fans for a certain temperature range (ie. 0-40 degrees celcius).

I've tried setting a custom fan profile in MSI afterburner, however despite AB indicating that the fans are spinning at 0% there is still a tachometer reading (confirmed to be correct after i took the side panel off to verify it).

Sooo does anyone have any ideas? I'm thinking its a protection measure in the video card bios to prevent operation under a fan failure so overriding the bios as a hardware level is the only solution, but im hoping someone has a less intrusive alternative :D
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old June 20, 2011, 06:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Markham
Posts: 1,564

My System Specs

Default

Most cards on the market have a BIOS minimum of 30/40%, no way to change it without a custom BIOS. Afterburner should indicate 30/40% fan speed after you attempt to set it to 0%.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old June 20, 2011, 10:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,561
Default

I'm wondering why you'd want to do this in the first place? at like 30% the fan isn't making any noticeable noise.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old June 20, 2011, 12:04 PM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 197

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post
I'm wondering why you'd want to do this in the first place? at like 30% the fan isn't making any noticeable noise.
Its not so much noise as the fact that one of my fans is located directly above my powersupply with about 1cm clearance between, so they counter each other and theoretically reduce the fans life span. Considering that the card close to the PSU is only used when I have crossfire activated (which is a rarity these days) its pretty much pointless having them counterspinning against each other unnecessarily.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old June 21, 2011, 09:56 AM
Soultribunal's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 8,052

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lKashl View Post
Its not so much noise as the fact that one of my fans is located directly above my powersupply with about 1cm clearance between, so they counter each other and theoretically reduce the fans life span. Considering that the card close to the PSU is only used when I have crossfire activated (which is a rarity these days) its pretty much pointless having them counterspinning against each other unnecessarily.

For the amount of life it would theoretically reduce, I wouldn't worry about it.

Regards,
ST
__________________




"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old June 21, 2011, 11:02 AM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: mtl
Posts: 12,694
Default

you need to work at the bios fan profile levels. as long as you play it safe you should be fine.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old June 21, 2011, 01:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,561
Default

how do they counter each other? the video card would be blowing out the back, the psu should also be blowing out the back, either sucking from the bottom, or from inside the case.

So I'm assuming you're drawing in air into both products from the same general location -> That's perfectly fine, you're going going to have significantly reduced air pressure in that one section or anything. So I wouldn't honestly worry about it. You'd likely kill your video card faster from the idle heat it generates.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old June 21, 2011, 02:26 PM
enaberif's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgahree, AB
Posts: 10,473
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post
how do they counter each other? the video card would be blowing out the back, the psu should also be blowing out the back, either sucking from the bottom, or from inside the case.

So I'm assuming you're drawing in air into both products from the same general location -> That's perfectly fine, you're going going to have significantly reduced air pressure in that one section or anything. So I wouldn't honestly worry about it. You'd likely kill your video card faster from the idle heat it generates.
Most gpus these days are blowing out from EVERYWHERE not just the back and if you look at the fan design on some of the dual fan gpus you'll notice one fan has a slightly different fan pitch than the other.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old June 21, 2011, 05:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,561
Default

True, I assumed it was one of those blow out the back units with the heat sink enclosure, not a frozr type device.

but still that's just more reason to keep the fans running, to dissipate the heat created from just a small space
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old July 8, 2011, 05:12 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 9
Default

Flip the PSU then?
Otherwise as others have said, it won't reduce the life of the fans....since PSU fan is intake and GPU is exhaust
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New build, won't boot, fans spin slightly HighEntropy Troubleshooting 28 September 5, 2011 04:53 PM
[WTB] WTB VGA coolers (260gtx and 9800gt) Taichan Buy/Sell & Trade 11 June 14, 2010 09:44 PM
Why are most VGA custom coolers recycling hot air? Skyllz Air Cooling 10 October 28, 2009 01:05 PM
Wtb Vga Coolers Cadence Buy/Sell & Trade 7 September 14, 2008 07:40 PM
Fans Spin, Won't POST or Beep Scart Troubleshooting 11 July 29, 2008 03:42 PM