Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 4, 2008, 01:37 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Exclamation Horrible pictures of dead caps

I would like to dedicate this thread to the most horrible pictures of dead caps you guys can find ;) Just to scare these guys, who think that "this can never happen to them". Let's start with HP Pavilion machine pic. TMS 1500uF caps, machine shutting down in 30 sec after power on:

Frankly I would not dare to turn it on... Picture from Carcenomy user on TechPowerUp forums ;)
Old February 4, 2008, 01:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

hahaha i see that where i work all the time.

These old geezers who are like 90 yrs old bring there computer in saying its not working and crack the side and they look like that.
Old February 4, 2008, 03:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Wow. Just Wow.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old February 4, 2008, 04:05 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Not a cap, but this is what happened to my P5KC. :)

Welcome btw trodas, making any cool stuffs lately?
Old February 4, 2008, 05:09 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Wink

enaberif - you too? Poor guy Some mobos are actually worth recapping, but some are definitively not... And they should called you when it become unstable. Waiting too long usualy kill the mosfets/whole mobo in many cases. I once waited with recapping of my ECS P6STMT mobo and hell - G-Luxons killed it. Even there was only a 14W VIA C3 Nehemiah 1200Mhz CPU in it. Shame.

belgolas - now I do wonder, what do you say about these pictures Morphy made of Klara's PC (Morphy friend, girl - but not girlfriend :) ), Eurocase PSU - Hec caps is the case:

...yes, it catch fire.

Eldonko - what the... What happend? Is not your PSU using known bad caps? Or perhaps these polymers are fakes made in China? Happen all the time. You know. They say "solid polymers", no more "bad caps" and then they bought them in China from noname/fake maker... Nevermind.
Me? Just a few projects like these:
Abit BX133-Raid - CapsMod Your Motherboard - CapsMod Forum - Powered by Discuz!
Jetway V266B with GSC caps - CapsMod Your Motherboard - CapsMod Forum - Powered by Discuz!
Abit KD7-G - CapsMod Your Motherboard - CapsMod Forum - Powered by Discuz!
trodasovo fórum -> PCchips M810L v7.0a board
Eurocase 400W PSU - Bad Caps Hardware Discovery & Solution - CapsMod Forum - Powered by Discuz!
Eurocase 200W PSU - Bad Caps Hardware Discovery & Solution - CapsMod Forum - Powered by Discuz!
Eurocase 350W PSU - Bad Caps Hardware Discovery & Solution - CapsMod Forum - Powered by Discuz!
Noname-Gigabyte FX5200XT with G-Luxon caps - Bad Caps Hardware Discovery & Solution - CapsMod Forum - Powered by Discuz!
NetGear RP614 v1 - Bad Caps Hardware Discovery & Solution - CapsMod Forum - Powered by Discuz!
NetGear WGR614v1 router - Bad Caps Hardware Discovery & Solution - CapsMod Forum - Powered by Discuz!
Gigabite FX5600XT with Evercons - Bad Caps Hardware Discovery & Solution - CapsMod Forum - Powered by Discuz!
Old February 4, 2008, 05:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

Dude I got a power supply sitting on the floor that exploded during a electrical storm from a customer and its all black and charred haha.

He's like "I walked into the room and there was blue smoke everywhere!"
Old February 4, 2008, 06:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Hehe, funny thing. I am having 3 systems built for a corporate customer of mine. Basic office systems, so don't need anything fancy, just dependable. I spec'd some P5E-VM boards for him, because they are intel vPro, and Asus Corporate stable image program. Well, we got the boards, and to my suprise, 2 of the 3 boards had at least 3 bulging caps on it, brand new! 2 of them were even leaking. Now that is some BAD quality control Asus, and especially on your vPro boards! Well, even before we install anything, they are going back to asus, and putting some Intel branded boards on instead.

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old February 5, 2008, 04:06 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Red face

enaberif - heheh, a funny guy, take it lightly. I would be pissed... but what the hell. Can you beat my pics of THAT PSU?

ATX Winner PSU, type PB300-A4S, courtesy by HoNY

CapXon caps rulez :D

Bulging sligtly and leaking Vent cap, and some nonstandard inferior Fuhjyyu caps - 1650uF 16V? OMG!
Much to my surprise, the CapXon shit caps are used in Fortron PSUs:
Svět hardware - Srovnávac* test 14 zdrojů - 1. část - Fortron FSP400-60GLN

Cptn Vortex - wow. These must be a damn bad caps. What was the brand, do you remember? Photo - too late, right?
It is not uncommon these bad caps die even w/o any usage in about year or two. The better of bad brands of caps, like Teapo, OST, VENT and such die in like 3 or 4 years. When used, then faster

Caps are designed to last 2 000 to 7 000h per type (some even more) at the rated maximal temperature 105C and with maximal ripple. Now for each 10C down from the rated 105C (for the 105C caps) does the guaranted lifetime DOUBLE (still with maximal ripple!) Hence in the absolutely WORST case:
105C - 2 000h
95C - 4 000h
85C - 8 000h
75C - 16 000h
65C - 32 000h
55C - 64 000h
45C - 128 000h
Now bear in mind, that year has only 8 544h Hence well-cooled cap has to stay alive at least 14,9 years with every parameter in limits.
http://www.rubycon.co.jp/en/notes/alumi_pdfs/Life.pdf

If it does not, consumer has been cheated and either downright known bad cap is being used, or fake caps are bought by the company. Since people that buying caps in high volumes know a great deal more that I'm and I'm are able to spot the fakes easily, I have my doubts whatever they can claim that they "did not know" ...

Last edited by trodas; August 31, 2013 at 07:26 AM.
Old February 5, 2008, 05:52 AM
MVP

My System Specs

damn i have had lots of opportunities to take some horrible pics of blown electronics. i had a psu catch fire and shoot out sparks and smoke until the fan melted shut. the inside of that thing was a mess (much worse than the above picture)...a few months ago a guy brought me a broken pc that was diagnosed by the family 'pc expert' as having a bad psu...turns out the northbridge had no heatsink and was literally bubbly, surrounded by black charred plastic and melted almost completely out of the motherboard. and finally, about 3 years ago i got my hands on a junked system with some sd-ram in it. i took the ram out and tried it in my machine and it wouldnt post and made a slight humming noise. i pulled it out and it was so hot my thumb print melted into it, and it felt like it was foaming (or boiling) under my thumb...i might still have that one, if so ill snap a pic of it.
Old February 5, 2008, 06:09 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Ah, the mighty Fuhjyyus