Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 7, 2008, 02:17 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Wink

Eldonko -
Quote:
I have lots of dead boards and GPU I use for parts that have died over the years from benching
Ah! Your home stuff could be interesting playground for me. Maybe I could resurrect some of it, lol And maybe not. The only one problem is, that you live half around the world, damn

Quote:
I wouldnt sacrifice a working board for crappy P5KC
Good point

HP Pavilion with TMS caps score again!

Picture courtesy of user cchalogamer from overclockersclub forum
Old February 8, 2008, 04:23 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Wink

GSC caps - Peter's GSC caps in GF2MX400:

And even the topmost left one, witch looked "reasonably" well for GSC look this way from bottom:

Last edited by trodas; September 15, 2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old April 17, 2008, 02:31 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Wink

Even Apple sometimes use bad caps - but these looks as Nichicons HN, witch are quality ones (except for one bad batch). The catch? HN(M) stays for Nichicon, yes, but these are black-white, not black-gold. Only gold ones in Nichicon line are HZ ones... Hence they are fakes and Apple bought fake caps and then selling hardware with them to their customers... that will fail. Amazing.

True Nichicon HM with Nichicon HZ on my own mobo:

Last edited by trodas; September 24, 2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old April 22, 2008, 08:18 AM
Rookie

Default Man if I had a dollar for every "oops" someone showed me :)

I too have seen my share of "BOOM!" brought in by peeps at work. From the bridge sinks being removed "I didnt think they did anything" was the answer they gave me , to PSU smokeshow aftermaths. Even watched one personally pop, smoke and then bend in on itself under the heat -go AOpen-. A memory that takes the cake is one night at a friends we were playing Red Alert 2 -god i loved that game- thru a lightning storm -Can anyone see where this goes?- the power went out for a second then back on and my friends 15" Samtron CRT LITERALLY exploded. The housing went dark brown and gooey and the glass shattered -we got the hell outta there and then investigated later after we were sure the house wasnt burning down and my buddy wasnt mortally wounded - No pictures of what was left of those fireworx but MAN I wish I had

Most recently I myself pushed my old P5N32SLI-E a wee bit too hard, The usually under control North Bridge spiked and blew out electricals in between the PCI-X 16 slots , a lil bit of smoke and that wonderful smell told me it was a good time to start being a Sad Panda.....and I was until I flipped the board the next day and repeated my experiment with slightly friendlier voltages etc and she humms along again now at the levels listed below. I was ONLY at 3.75 *stable* so you can see why I had to go up . I can hit 4.20 -sweet- but I wouldnt ask about stability....ask the comp to spell that @ 4.2 and she chokes lol but it gets off the ground

CPU: Intel E6600 2.66 @ 3.97
Mem: 4G 667 @ 725 4-4-4-10 CR1
Vid: MSI 8600GTS 725\1500\2250
Mobo: ASUS P5N32SLI-E BIOS 1404
PSU: 550W Modded +2 60mm Fans
HDD: Seagate 500g 7200 32M NCQ
Case: Custom, 7 external fan
mounts, 5 internal mounts
Temps: CPU: 32 @ idle
52 @ full load
GPU: 44 @ idle
54 @ full load

Theres 13 Fans crammed in there, I have no life :)

Last edited by Spectre; April 22, 2008 at 08:20 AM. Reason: updated sig
Old August 6, 2008, 01:58 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Congratulations on not killing your mainboard, then! :) Easy with it! :)

MSI MS-6368 and Chhsi caps.

Picture courtesy of user markiemrboo from overclockersclub forum ;)

Last edited by trodas; September 20, 2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old August 6, 2008, 03:44 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

I've replaced more bad cap's than I care to count, mind you I gotten a lot of motherboards for the cost of replacement caps as well.
Old August 6, 2008, 04:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Dude I got a power supply sitting on the floor that exploded during a electrical storm from a customer and its all black and charred haha.

He's like "I walked into the room and there was blue smoke everywhere!"
Not to confuse with ghostly apparitions

---

What are the manufacturing dates on those boards with bad caps in the pictures above ? I know that some years ago there was an epidemic of bad caps circulating on the market and a lot of motherboard manufacturers were affected. I have used a lot of hardware through the years, both for myself and for friends of relative, and never ever came across a bad cap or burnt resistor - last week I got rid of all my old motherboards sine my 286 - and a few from the Athlon XP and an old XP64 they were on 24/7 for years and gone through torture and not one cap was bulging, they were intact - I've always used quality power supplies and the current here is stable - Unfortunately some people wait too long and the damage is done - with the price of motherboards I would buy a new one and I would not bother recapping or going through the trouble - I would like to think that some motherboard manufacturers have solved this problem now as I haven't come across any new MB with such a problem.

Last edited by DarKStar; August 6, 2008 at 04:17 PM.
Old August 6, 2008, 07:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Dell Optiplex GX280 motherboard

P5K-VM exploded after mildly overclocking a Q6600 @ 3.0/1.3xxV

Old August 8, 2008, 07:25 AM
Hall Of Fame

Here's a shot from the antec PSU I had powering my old p4 rig :

Good old fuhijju caps.......lol

This psu actually still works , testament to the good cooling in my rig.The PSU lasted 4 years.....most people with that model of PSU got 2 years at most.

Old August 11, 2008, 03:31 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Wink

GSC caps in friend Peter mainboard:

Panasonic FM cap (good brand & type) reversed by my fault in Abit ST6R Vcore input caps:

PS. BrainEater - I cannot believe that Fuhjyyu caps powered PSU lasted 4 years. Mine give up in nearly year and took mobo with it to silicon heaven. You must not load the machine much, and also did not use it much... or be extremly lucky.
Fuhjyyu are, except maybe for GSC, the worsest crap there it.