Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 5, 2008, 08:51 AM
Allstar

if you can catch the smoke and get it back in there, it will work just fine again
Old February 5, 2008, 11:58 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trodas View Post
Eldonko - what the... What happend? Is not your PSU using known bad caps? Or perhaps these polymers are fakes made in China? Happen all the time.
Vdroop and vcore mod + high voltage + poor vreg + cheap components = burned chips. This one was around 100C when it blew, even with a HS and fan on it.
Old February 5, 2008, 12:20 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Red face

t0m - then take the stuff on outside for good lighting and take some pics to share here with us with a short story perhaps
And yea, there are worser examples of blow-out caps that the above PSU, but hey, nice CapXon caps, nope? (recently I saw a guy that moded his X-Fi and installed a BIG CapXon cap on it and I was like - oh, my... installing a known bad cap, now that is a wise mod )
Quote:
northbridge had no heatsink and was literally bubbly, surrounded by black charred plastic and melted almost completely out of the motherboard
OMG. This is nuts. That can't work stable, can it? And I would kill to see that in action Besides, I would like to get the spare NB heatsink, if it was any good one
Quote:
it was so hot my thumb print melted into it, and it felt like it was foaming (or boiling) under my thumb
Oh, I hope you did not hurt yourself. Take case, bad caps can do "wonderfull" things.

SKYMTL - yea. Be carefull around them. They knock my DFI LP B mobo dead. Antec NEO 480W PSU, the first one (and expensive I might add) with custom cables... Yet recapped with Samxon caps, the Antex NEO PSU run like a drem for me now.

donimo -
Quote:
if you can catch the smoke and get it back in there, it will work just fine again
I have my doubts about that

Eldonko - you mad overclocker 100°C only? Hell, that is poor. My heatsink (mind you, heatsink, not what was under it) on my Epox 8RDA+ was at about 140°C (!) and it still worked. Bulging GSC crap caps are clearly visible on the input rails:
Galerie

Galerie
The components quality must suxx todays then. Sadly, this is likely not fixable. What are the brand name/or picture of the caps used there? I do wonder what is used there...
Old February 5, 2008, 12:22 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Wink

Uh, oh, I almost forget to add this: JetWay V400DB caps. I think everyone will like the sight

6 pieces of GSC 2200uF 6.3V ;) Still somewhat working, not entierly reliable, but afer recap it working even highly overclocked (FSB 180) entierly stable
Old February 5, 2008, 12:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Hmm no camera, sadly. Not really sure what brand Caps they are. All they show is KZG 6.3v, 820 uf, (m)105degrees

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old February 5, 2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
The components quality must suxx todays then. Sadly, this is likely not fixable. What are the brand name/or picture of the caps used there? I do wonder what is used there...
Yeah ASUS doesnt plan for people to take things to the next level like that so they use parts that would be ok under regular use for the most part. So you can either put up with 0.2v+ vdroop to save the components or do the vmods and hope for the best. That or buy higher end boards for $300. Luckily I have the same transistors on another board so I just changed it and it was fixed. I have also changed caps on an old DFI for better japanese ones in the past, worked well. I got a big bag of high end parts that I use once in a while.

I just threw out an Ultra PSU with caps like the above pic, it just blew one day and I opened it up and the caps were shot. No pic tho, its in the garbage..
Old February 5, 2008, 04:43 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Talking

Cptn Vortex - KZG is Chemi-con caps. These are regarded, usualy, as good caps. They are not bad for sure. My beef is just not with them, they are sure the worsest from the good brands like Samxon, Rubycon, Nichicon and Panasonic (sorted by what I like them), but clearly they will never fail w/o usage.
They must be fakes. I never ever heard about KZG failure w/o a reson. A damn good reason, I might add.

What about a picture of busted GOOD cap Chemi-con KZG in DFI LP B Vcore regulator inputs? Cause of death? Fuhjyyu caps in PSU! (Antec NEO 480W PSU) Fuhjyyu ones usualy does not bulge, so you have no idea that things are going wrong... if you don't know that Fuhjyyu caps are inferior crap even between bad caps!
You live nicely and peacefully, till a loud explosion come out of your mobo and your machine fail miserably. Then you check it out and see good Chemi-con KZG caps in the Vcore imput filters (1500uF 16V ones) entierly destroyed:

And your machine no longer working. That way exactly the wake up call for me, regarding bad caps Yea, Chemi-cons are supposed to be a good caps, but even good cap can fail when before him is a BAD CAP that generate excessive ripple...

Eldonko - glad to hear you fix it!
Good work, mate!
And yep, Asus is cheap. It is not true that he must skip on parts too much, but that is what Asus is. ASRock is ever crappier - OEM even cheaper Asus
We have here a name for Asus that goes "Aušus" - it is a word taken from germans, widely known by Czech guys and gals and meaning something like "crap"
So, you see, it goes almost same as "Asus". Simply "Aušus"
And the other board is canibalized and left to die? You probably can obtain the need mosfets for it

Quote:
I just threw out an Ultra PSU with caps like the above pic, it just blew one day and I opened it up and the caps were shot. No pic tho, its in the garbage...
No waste. But if you can make a nice pic and check out on the caps brands... well, forget it. People might get all the wrong ideas, if they see you dig in the garbage

Last edited by trodas; August 31, 2013 at 06:28 AM.
Old February 5, 2008, 05:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Yeah, that is very interesting. Asus using fake caps, on their workstation grade boards! A sad day for sure. We didn't even have time to put power through the boards, they were fresh out of the box!

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old February 6, 2008, 02:59 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Red face

Asus is known to be cheap-arse when come to, well, anything. They use the worsest crap they can get. Sometimes even the vents on bad-caps are not well-performed and then... well... this happens:

Pentium 4 Asus mobo:

User Random Murderer from TechPowerUp swear that this is not result of lighting, but "just" a bad cap that exploded...!

Last edited by trodas; August 6, 2008 at 01:54 PM.
Old February 6, 2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:
And the other board is canibalized and left to die? You probably can obtain the need mosfets for it

No waste. But if you can make a nice pic and check out on the caps brands... well, forget it. People might get all the wrong ideas, if they see you dig in the garbage
No, I have lots of dead boards and GPU I use for parts that have died over the years from benching. I wouldnt sacrifice a working board for crappy P5KC heheh.

That PSU was dead about a month ago so it is buried in the dump somewhere so sorry no pics avail..