Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 10, 2011, 02:14 PM
Rookie

Default Ultra stability test

Hi!I am developing a new test tools for Intel Core i7 950 through evolutionary approach. The main advantage over other tests is that it is much faster.
But I would need to validate this tool not only through my PC, but also having a response with other data by other cpu.

For this reason, I wonder if you should run it and maybe compare it with other programs such as first, Linx ...
The main thing I wish is to have the results around the time of detection of the instability by the various tool (made by increasing or lowering the frequency to a rock solid CPU).

You would do me a huge favor!
Thanks in advance!
Old June 10, 2011, 02:14 PM
Rookie

Download:
http://www.cad.polito.it/research/Ev...es/M&G_v1b.zip

On this page you will find the next versions of the tool:
Overclocking
Old June 11, 2011, 05:25 AM
Rookie

Hello, I'm fond of overclocking for almost 2 years ... I'm majoring in computer engineering in Italy ... my thesis, in fact, is an evolutionary development of a tool to test the stability of a computer ...

I post a screenshot of how the tool should work for you feedback.

Thank you for your cooperation, I hope to experience with you.
Old June 11, 2011, 07:04 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Interesting. Can you give us a bit more info regarding HOW is stresses a CPU?
Old June 11, 2011, 07:27 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Just in case anyone is worried here is the Virus Total results:

File name:
M&G_v1b.zip
Submission date:
2011-06-11 14:22:00 (UTC)
Current status:
finished
Result:
0/ 42 (0.0%)

Its (most likely) not a virus. To the OP...you might want to include such info in the future as this would be a very sneaky way to distribute a new virus (old ways are usually the best and not much beats social engineering)...and where this is your first three posts it does look a tad...shall we say suspcious.

Anyways, like Skymtl I would really love to know how it is stressing the CPU. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 11, 2011, 08:32 AM
Rookie

Thank you for your attention!
I'm developing this tool on Intel core i7 950 using its istructions set....
This is a research for my thesis!

These tests stress specific microarchitectural features of the target designs (intel i7). Thus, they are extremely fast and does not cause much heating, but are unlikely to work on a different microprocessor...

I give you some information!:-)

Unlike the traditional stress test, this is intended to highlight the Speedpath processor, which means the slower path through the logic circuits of the CPU, which limits the maximum frequency, so does not need a running too long, and is very attached to processor on which it was developed.

Unlike other programs such as LINX, IBT occt ..., my program does not generate much heat because it generates few cache miss: ram-> cache (because the occupation of the memory of the program are a few Mb instead of Gb, IBT & co.) then the ram is not very tested, and the temperatures of the CPU does not grow much. In addition it dectects the system instability before other programs. Precisely for this reason, I would like to have more feedback from other users who have the same platform or other.

For example, in testing I tried it on my system ... situations of instability were detected only from my program ... while other test programs gave me rock solid as a result ... or, in other cases reported instability with more time ...

At the end of the test there will be a result: if the CPU is rock solid then the result will be "Pass", if the system is unstable, the result is "Fail!"
Old June 11, 2011, 09:04 AM
F@H

My System Specs

By the sounds of it, your program should work for the i7 1366 architecture as all those processors have the same microarchitectural features with essentially just a difference in their multiplier. I don't think there should be compatibility issues when you jump to 6 cores either, though your program may now just be limited to quad i7s.

If this works it definitely would a quick and easy way to test an overclock for a folder as I've yet to see a more strenuous test then folding for a cpu (I've had overclocks pass most/all testing programs but fail a big adv work unit for folding).
Old June 11, 2011, 09:50 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

One item that's needed is a counter to tell a user how long the test was running for.
Old June 11, 2011, 10:36 AM
Banned
F@H

and the said counter must be independent of system time ;)
Old June 11, 2011, 11:01 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Apparently my system passes which seems fair enough as I don't have any stability issues.

Though I agree, a counter or some kind of stats/results would be nice.