Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 1, 2008, 04:56 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Then prove to me that AMD can overclock just as well as Intel
you said people don't bench AMD under cold because it doesn't overclock as much. we don't bench AMD under cold because of cold bug...end of story. go start a futile discussion somewhere else about AMD vs Intel...we get it, Intel is the best!! Intel rules!! everything else is crap, not fun, and a waste of time

/sarcasm
/discussion
Old February 1, 2008, 07:09 PM
Allstar

@3oh6

I'm using Duniek's Al pot, it's really really really nice for the price. I used Vaseline because I can't risk to kill my reviewing motherboard, so all the precautions were taken.

Sorry lads, no benchmarks went down, just raw Mhz.

My next session will be during the March Break, and by then, I should have a couple of 8800GT's =)
Old February 1, 2008, 07:20 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Dry-ice noob here... so you're saying you are using the Vaseline (coated on the CPU backside, correct?) to protect the board pins from corrosion. Someone has to explain this to me. I know about many, many forms of corrosion (aircraft design), but I never heard about that one.
Old February 1, 2008, 07:26 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Dry-ice noob here... so you're saying you are using the Vaseline (coated on the CPU backside, correct?) to protect the board pins from corrosion. Someone has to explain this to me. I know about many, many forms of corrosion (aircraft design), but I never heard about that one.
I just put nail polish and neoprene on the back, and Vaseline in the socket and on the back of the CPU, because I couldn't get a hold of dielectric grease.
Old February 1, 2008, 07:38 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

hmm. Does the corrosion come from condensation seeping inside the socket?
Old February 1, 2008, 07:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Sweet job, Wankerfx! I should be getting my Pentium D 930 (3.0GHz) back someday soon...that chip is an OC BEAST! I ran 4.5GHz on a Zalman 7700Cu!!! Mind you...my rig was outside on the balcony in -20 C!!! LOL I would have no problems letting you do a few icey runs on that bad boy!
Old February 1, 2008, 07:56 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Dr. Silver View Post
Sweet job, Wankerfx! I should be getting my Pentium D 930 (3.0GHz) back someday soon...that chip is an OC BEAST! I ran 4.5GHz on a Zalman 7700Cu!!! Mind you...my rig was outside on the balcony in -20 C!!! LOL I would have no problems letting you do a few icey runs on that bad boy!
That would be chinchilla; I'll shoot you a PM around March

Voltages were pretty xtreme - ranging from 1.7V -> 1.9V
Old February 1, 2008, 08:04 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
it's not to protect corrosion, its to protect against condensation by replacing the air that would normally be in the socket therefore leaving nothing left behind to condense once things go sub-zero. water in the CPU socket is a bad thing

i personally never user dielectric grease when benching, but if i was to run a phase 24/7 then it would definitely be on the list. my only recommendation wanker is to work on your insulation. it really is kind of spotty around the socket area there. here are a couple images of some insulation setups of mine...

Abit Quad GT w/closed cell foam strips:

Asus P5N32-E SLI w/duct sealer:

Asus P5B-Dlx w/closed cell foam/armacell tape:

Abit Quad GT w/duct sealer:

the duct sealer is the best as it completely seals off every nook and cranny but i wouldn't recommend as it is impossible to clean off the board afterwards. the closed cell foam works really well if you take the time during installation. the key with any insulation job is to completely block the path for air to get near the surfaces close to the socket. in your insulation Wanker, it isn't really full coverage and there is a lot of air able to get in there. with a nail polish or LET layer you don't really have to worry about small amounts of moisture on the board but you should still try for a complete seal with your insulation.

looking forward to the next session
Old February 1, 2008, 08:21 PM
Allstar

Thanks 3oh6, I know insulation wasn't the best, but there were limited materials and time constraints. You're amazing at insulating, I didn't know that you could put a piece of foam in the center of the socket. (I tightened down the pot as much as I could so that the foam surrounding the tip would seal and air from accessing the socket area - the setup was running for roughly 3 hours.)

Maybe we can meet up and do a few runs together
Old February 1, 2008, 08:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wankerfx View Post
Maybe we can meet up and do a few runs together
I would love to join! I'll bring my D 930....LOL