Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/overclocking-tweaking-benchmarking/)
-   -   Information on Overclocking a Duo E7500 (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/overclocking-tweaking-benchmarking/43475-information-overclocking-duo-e7500.html)

Chuck390 May 21, 2011 07:17 PM

Information on Overclocking a Duo E7500

Hi, my friend plans on getting a new graphics card, (Probably an MSI gtx 460 Hawk) to play games like crysis and SC 2.

Here is his current PC:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @2.93GHz
RAM: 4.0 Gb Doucle Channel DDR2 @ 399 MHz
Motherboard: ASUS Computer P5QL/EPU (LGA775)
Graphic Card: Ati Radeon HD 4350 (He will be changing it)

So I wanted to know if his PC was worth changing the graphic card to play games with high graphic or he need a new GPU and everything.
And if he should Overclock is GPU and if it would really help. I heard he could easily clock it at 3.33Ghz, but would he need additional cooling. (He runs at 37C idle)

Also, I know nothing about Overclocking so what program should he use.

If you need additional information tell me I'll get it.

Thanks,
Chuck

BrutalGreen May 22, 2011 02:18 AM

Welcome aboard! I saw/posted in your other thread... Here's what I think you should do: sell him the 460hawk you said you already bought yourself in the other thread and tell him to buy the OCZ Vendetta 2 (could also price match at NCIX) so he could overclock with decent cooling (OCing is best done via bios).

Chuck390 May 22, 2011 10:25 AM

Ok thanks, but do you think there would be any bottle neck with a GTX 460..?

Thanks,
chuck

BrutalGreen May 22, 2011 10:57 AM

Bottleneck? Most probably yes! however thats not rly an issue IMO cause even at that you will be noticing a performance gain of 5-10x depending on the game...

as far as overclocking goes on LGA 775:
1. Install new heatsink
2. Enter bios on boot
3. Set vcore to ~1.45v
4. Push up the base clock in bios till it's prime95 stable
5. ???????????
6. Profit

Solace June 5, 2011 10:49 AM

1.45 is a tad much for those chips. 1.375 i believe is the max and you can probably get 3.3 on 1.2ish depending on the stepping being used. if its a 780 chipset would consider pencil modding to avoid vdroop issues.

Silvgearx June 5, 2011 05:41 PM

Getting a new GPU will definitely give a huge boost to FPS. Depending on his resolution he might even need to overclock. :bleh:

But to get full advantage of a 460 you have to overclock that cpu. Let say@ 3.6ghz or 4ghz would be great. It be easy with a p5q board.

Hell most of us might even be able to give you the numbers to put in the bios. :biggrin: Overclocking is extremely easy and reversible. Try to stay under 1.375volts for cpu, 2.1volts for ram, 1.4volts for NB.

Post back if you need help, most of us are willing if you ask nicely.

3.6ghz cpu
800mhz ram 4-4-4-12
gtx 460

It be a good start. :biggrin:

Ahh hell, didn't know it was 2 weeks late. :doh: :blarg: