Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 19, 2011, 03:24 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Overclocking... Is it worth it?

Hello, I'm just wondering about overclocking. I've been reading around for a while now and see that my particular cpu, X4 970 BE gets up to about 4.0mhz stable for most people. I'm just wondering if I would see a worthwhile difference in performance in my system if I OC to 4.0 from 3.5. I definitely see the gain in some intel chips going from 3.4 to 4.5+.
I just use my pc for browsing, gaming and watching movies. So would it be worth it to do it? I guess I would have to try it to know if it would. But I'd like to hear some opinions on it.
Old May 19, 2011, 03:46 PM
Banned
F@H

in some games,depending on the resolution,yeah.

browsing,watching movies,nay

plus youll burn more petrol :)

welcome aboard as well!
Old May 19, 2011, 04:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

At the moment that extra 500 MHz won't help much for browsing.

If you have a REALLY inefficient movie player (that puts a whole bunch of load on the CPU) then the overclock may help prevent that one extra skipped frame when a lot of stuff is happening on screen. I at least saw that with the older AMD processors where 2.7 GHz to 2.9 actually did something. If the GPU is doing the work on decoding for the movie then you don't need overclocking at all - refer to all the benchmarks of Blu-Ray playing just fine on processors 1/8 as fast as what you have.
The same goes for games; it won't be a "WOW!" difference. It's more like enabling that one extra setting or bumping up detail one notch. In a real-time strategy game, it will mean a couple extra frames per second when you're dealing with a ton of units on screen.

Now if you do video encoding, or Folding @ Home, that extra 14% of clock speed will mean a little time saved. A small percentage off a task that takes hours will save you a couple minutes.
Old May 21, 2011, 06:19 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thanks for the replies and I'm glad to be on this forum. I just discovered it about a month ago.
I'm going to give it a try here in a couple of weeks. I want to upgrade my ram to something faster than the kingston value ram that I have right now. I've read on reviews that its good solid ram, but falls down when overclocking. And I'd rather wait and do it right before stressing something to much that's not supposed to be.
Old May 21, 2011, 09:43 PM
Top Prospect

Welcome aboard!

Just to add another thing, it looks like you're running Crossfire GPU's...a CPU overclock will help you get better performance with your graphics by reducing/removing a possible CPU bottleneck. It's not such a big problem with a single GPU, but a CPU bottleneck becomes more of an issue with more than one video card.
Old August 16, 2011, 08:09 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

i have the 1055t, and i overclocked it from 2.8Ghz, to 3.7Ghz without increasing the voltage on the cpu, and to be honest i have not really seen much of a difference. the only thing i noticed is that when doing video rendering, it doesnt take as long. and that videos buffer faster. but other than that its still the same. the only other thing i got out of it was it bumped my computers rating from 7.4 to 7.6 and 7.9 is the highest possible score.

but i didnt have to increase the voltage so i dont have to worry to much about stability so its a win with the 1055t because if you did increase the voltage i have heard rumors of people getting their 1055t's all the way up to 4.5Ghz

i ran a 24 torture test with prime 95 and got 0 errors so i know my computer is stable at 3.7Ghz
Old August 16, 2011, 12:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLATLANDRIDER View Post
i have the 1055t, and i overclocked it from 2.8Ghz, to 3.7Ghz without increasing the voltage on the cpu, and to be honest i have not really seen much of a difference. the only thing i noticed is that when doing video rendering, it doesnt take as long. and that videos buffer faster. but other than that its still the same. the only other thing i got out of it was it bumped my computers rating from 7.4 to 7.6 and 7.9 is the highest possible score.

but i didnt have to increase the voltage so i dont have to worry to much about stability so its a win with the 1055t because if you did increase the voltage i have heard rumors of people getting their 1055t's all the way up to 4.5Ghz

i ran a 24 torture test with prime 95 and got 0 errors so i know my computer is stable at 3.7Ghz
what kind of temperatures where you getting?