Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 16, 2011, 02:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default I3 540 wow overclock on air

Well like the title states i just want top share this pretty damn decent for air just got my hands on this and think i may rock it for awhile over my zeon. just cause i can
Attached Images

Old May 16, 2011, 03:44 PM
Banned
F@H

:)

the 23 multi helps a WHOLE LOT ;)

drop it to 22(aka i3 530) and s
Old May 16, 2011, 05:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

i could go higher just really don't need to and why would i drop it when i can use it at that speed my point is that most have trouble getting above 4.4 on air or below anything then 1.45Vcore
Old May 16, 2011, 06:41 PM
Associate Review Editor

Yeah, like I showed in my review, a Core i3-540 @ 4.6Ghz is a very potent little chip.

I would still heartily recommend one over any of the non-overclockable dual-core Core i3-2100 series 'Sandy Bridge' processors.
Old June 3, 2011, 11:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post
I would still heartily recommend one over any of the non-overclockable dual-core Core i3-2100 series 'Sandy Bridge' processors.
Ok, in order to ovc one of those chips, specifically the core i3 2100, which has a locked multiplier, what chipset do i need to look for on the mobo? I guess something from the P series, something that does not have any possibility of using the integrated graphics I guess? P67 would be a good starting point? And how much can we go just on air for the i3-2100?
Old June 3, 2011, 12:07 PM
Associate Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
Ok, in order to ovc one of those chips, specifically the core i3 2100, which has a locked multiplier, what chipset do i need to look for on the mobo? I guess something from the P series, something that does not have any possibility of using the integrated graphics I guess? P67 would be a good starting point? And how much can we go just on air for the i3-2100?
There's no point attempting to overclock a locked Sandy Bridge chip.

You are only going to get a 5-6% overclock since that is all the BCLK allows.

Hence why I said I recommend the older Core i3 LGA1156 chips instead.
Old June 3, 2011, 12:12 PM
Banned
F@H

if you go over 5 in terms of stock bclk on any locked sb chips? youre doing good :D