Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 21, 2011, 03:24 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default over clocking an AMD non-black edition cpu

well yesterday i decided to take a plunge a spend 60 bucks on a cm v6 gt. and once i installed it ( what an experience that alone was! ) on my phenom ii 925 i went into the bios and was messing with the base clock, because my multiplier is locked and i raised it just a little to get it to 2.9 or 3.0 ghz but both time i rebooted and once it came up again the bios check screen was running and then it stopped and presented a message saying " the system has experienced multiple boot failures due to over clocking. then it would go back to failsafe bios and enter windows after that. so is there something i need to do to get my overclock to work. like certain settings or features i need to turn off or on to do this. really need some help
Old March 21, 2011, 03:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Here is a excellent guide to overclocking a AMD system.

IDK if you added any voltage to either the cpu or to the ram, you could just be needing to downclock the rams divider to run a spec since you upped the FSB. Read through it it should give you a idea of where to start.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=267708

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old March 21, 2011, 04:02 PM
MVP

You shouldn't have to add voltage to go up 100Mhz from stock or even mess with the RAM dividers at that tiny jump. The only thing you changed was the Base Clock?
Old March 21, 2011, 04:07 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

yea i set the base clock from 200 ( stock ) to 215 first then 210. with no voltage change or any thing because its not a big jump but i wanna get it up to 3.5( same as 965 ) so that will require a small volt jump but right now no the only thing i changed is the base clock
Old March 21, 2011, 04:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by techman95 View Post
yea i set the base clock from 200 ( stock ) to 215 first then 210. with no voltage change or any thing because its not a big jump but i wanna get it up to 3.5( same as 965 ) so that will require a small volt jump but right now no the only thing i changed is the base clock
If you are moving your base clock (fsb) it will affect your ram speeds, sure it is only a 10-15mhz jump for the fsb but it can very easily move your ram out of it's range.

Really IMO more info is needed, we dont know what what you are running besides the 925.

Could be something as simple as adding voltage somewhere or could very well be a sub-timing doesnt like the added mhz at the voltage being supplied.

Quote:
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
Old March 21, 2011, 04:40 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

oh ok i see what your saying because i already have my ram at 1600 ( its max) and moving the base clock up also changing the clock on the ram. so i should be good if i just set it down to my motherboards native ram clock of 1333. ok ill try it and see if it works and ill report back and tell yall if it worked
Old March 21, 2011, 04:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by techman95 View Post
oh ok i see what your saying because i already have my ram at 1600 ( its max) and moving the base clock up also changing the clock on the ram. so i should be good if i just set it down to my motherboards native ram clock of 1333. ok ill try it and see if it works and ill report back and tell yall if it worked
Bingo

I highly recommend reading and using the guide I linked to, using those basic principles will allow you to overclock you AMD system to its maximum potential. Plus once you learn the principle it will allow you to overclock just about any AMD system with ease.

Honestly it is the same basic way I have been doing my AMD systems for years ( sure some step were not necessary back in the xp days)and you hardly ever see me in here posting about how to get my clocks higher. Not tooting my horn but simply saying with a good methodagy you wont need to be asking questions as offton. ( He-he damn sub-timing have got me more than once)

If you have trouble as you go post back, but is isnt something you end up doing in a day.

Quote:
Old April 1, 2011, 12:52 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

thank you grover for the link it helped so much. got my 925 from 2.8 to 3.36[ so far ;) ] and i got it in only about a hour. i think if i put a little more time towards it and did it more thoroughly i could get it higher, but i dont know if my mobo will handle it cause its a giga ma785gmt-ud2h, which only has a 4+1 power phase. but i appreciate the help you gave me a lot.