Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 15, 2008, 10:48 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Over Clocking Ram

I am in the process of over clocking my ram. This is the first time I have OC'd ram.

HP2-5300 DDR2 - Mushkin Enhanced

The above url is my ram. I am using stock timings: 4-4-4-10. I have it set at T2 and the voltage is 2.013. I was able only able to reach 733mhz.

The Memory cannot take more voltage, windows fails to boot.

Also my Mobo's BIOS is revision 0202.

Any suggestions to try to push things further?
Old January 16, 2008, 07:06 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I would relax the timings to 5-5-5-18 2T first. This should help. Then once you have reached the max. speed, I would tighten the timings.
Old January 17, 2008, 09:54 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Tanks for the advice

I relaxed the timings, and have peaked the ram speed @ 838 mhz.

Now I am trying to tighten the timings.

I was using 2 instances of Super PI, and running the 32M tests for stability testing of the ram. I read somewhere that Super Pi is a good test for OC'd ram. I did have a few tried along the way when Super Pi would encounter an error caused by the ram.

Any advice on the best method of trying to tighten the ram timing now that its OC'd?
Old January 17, 2008, 09:59 AM
F@H

My System Specs

838MHz is very good for PC2-5300 speeds.

Keep on trying, changing timings and testing. Not much else to it. You can use Memtest (MemTest: RAM reliability tester for Windows) to test the Ram's stability.
Old January 17, 2008, 02:13 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks again.

I am have the timing down to 5-4-4-18. My computer failed to post with the CAS lowered to 4 (4-5-5-18).

I am starting to try and "FIX" the 18 :)

I have an infrared Temperature gauge, the highest temp I have been able to find on the RAM was about 49c @ load. Most of the points on the ram are 2 - 6 degree's cooler. Ambient air temperature is currently quite cool in my room.

Is this good temperature level? What would be considered too hot? Im looking ahead for the summer heat :)
Old January 17, 2008, 03:38 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You've done a good job and will be satisfied once the oc is over. Then you'll want to start all over again.... it just grows on you!

Ram Temps? I've never bothered with that, I simply make sure that the sticks have a proper air flow.
Old January 17, 2008, 04:50 PM
Top Prospect

im using corsair xms2 twinxc4. @1.8v i reach 756mhz, (@ 5-5-5-18) but if im going to 800+ my system get unstable, you think by adding some volt on ram it well get stable even at 800mhz?
Old January 17, 2008, 06:12 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Sure can try, and if it works out and decide to keep the setting, make sure you have good airflow around the sticks.
Old January 18, 2008, 10:29 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I seem to have maxed out the memory, but I'm not sure that the timing is totally accurate. 5-3-3-3 @ 838 Mhz.

Is the tRAS really running at 3? Is this helpful to performance?

I moved on to the CPU, I put the core voltage up to 1.5v. I have the CPU @ 3.01 (I think, I am in class atm and going off the top of my head.) I am using Core Temp Software, and the highest I have seen the Core temps is 45c. The Cores are usually 42-44 under load. The CPU did not want to run @ 3.06 (Windows froze during, or just after loading).

Any suggestions for the CPU or Ram?
Old January 18, 2008, 10:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Does your RAM pass Memtest at those speeds???

Hmm...Your CPU should be able to do much better. I believe you can run the memory unlinked from the FSB right? Make sure you set it like that in the BIOS. Also make sure you check on OC settings of your board. And start out your voltages way lower please...Start at 1.40V and see how far you can get on that...I think you should be able to start at 8x400(3.2GHz) with that voltage and go up from there....If you get a lot of BSOD you might want to loosen the timings on your RAM and lower its speed a little.