Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 9, 2011, 10:08 AM
Banned
F@H

that i do not know.

lets say your psu is mighty fine, but then again i dont know how much the boards components can take.

from what i see its got 3 phases. not bad but not very good either. but then again this board was made for value chips

something like dual cores with lower power figures.
Old February 9, 2011, 10:13 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Oh.. thanks for answering Dan!!!

Lets say I want to OC to 2.8, 3.0Ghz at the most. From what I have read this sounds like a modest enough raise for this kind of MB. How would I go about it???
Old February 9, 2011, 10:32 AM
Allstar
F@H

I can show you how to do it but please don't blame me if you kill your motherboard... That board does not have a beefy enough power phase design to do this reliably... you would probably be fine overclocking a low wattage dual core but doing this with a 95 watt quad is asking for trouble... The performance increase in going from 2.66 to 2.8 or 2.9 would not be that great anyway... not worth it in my opinion...
Old February 9, 2011, 10:44 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtrotter59 View Post
I can show you how to do it but please don't blame me if you kill your motherboard... That board does not have a beefy enough power phase design to do this reliably... you would probably be fine overclocking a low wattage dual core but doing this with a 95 watt quad is asking for trouble... The performance increase in going from 2.66 to 2.8 or 2.9 would not be that great anyway... not worth it in my opinion...

Show me the way!!!

I think a raise from 2.66 to 2.8 is as far as I would take it. What do I do?
Old February 9, 2011, 11:05 AM
Allstar
F@H

Enter the bios by pressing del or F1 after rebooting... under advanced>cpu configuration... set overclock mode to cpu pci-e asyth, set pci-e frequency to 100, disable spread spectrum, disable intel speedsted technology... now raise the cpu frequency say 5-10 mhz at a time and reboot till you reach your desired O.C. Check for stability using a program like prime95. You should also lower your ram speed to remove this from the equation... Advanced>chipset configuration>dram frequency... set this below your rams rated speed... you can raise it back up later when you determine that your cpu frequency is stable or your vrm's explode

Good luck!
Old February 9, 2011, 11:18 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Enter the bios by pressing del or F1 after rebooting... under advanced>cpu configuration... set overclock mode to cpu pci-e asyth, set pci-e frequency to 100, disable spread spectrum, disable intel speedsted technology... now raise the cpu frequency say 5-10 mhz at a time and reboot till you reach your desired O.C. Check for stability using a program like prime95. You should also lower your ram speed to remove this from the equation... Advanced>chipset configuration>dram frequency... set this below your rams rated speed... you can raise it back up later when you determine that your cpu frequency is stable or your vrm's explode

Good luck!
Awesome!!! Thanks man!!

The thing is I am have a new set of gaming memory DIMMS. I recently purchased 8 (2x 4GB)GBs of Patriot gaming memory. They have enhanced latency specs( 5-5-5-12) and need a voltage of 1.9V. Is there any thing I might have to do differently when using these babies?????
Old February 9, 2011, 11:28 AM
Allstar
F@H

Your board should auto detect the modules and set the required parameters... You can also set the timings and voltage manually if it doesn't do this properly... for timings go to advanced>chipset configuration>flexibility options (enable this) for voltage go to dram voltage on the same screen and enter desired voltage...
Old February 9, 2011, 04:54 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Your board should auto detect the modules and set the required parameters... You can also set the timings and voltage manually if it doesn't do this properly... for timings go to advanced>chipset configuration>flexibility options (enable this) for voltage go to dram voltage on the same screen and enter desired voltage...
Thanks for your assist Boggs

I do have one final question. My MB manual says that in order to OC the FSB to 1600 I have to adjust the jumper settings. Is that something I need to do for this kind of mild overclocking or can I skip it

Thank you once again
Old February 9, 2011, 07:02 PM
Banned
F@H

well, try without touching the jumpers and see how well it plays.

i dont have much experience with that board+oc'ing :)
Old February 9, 2011, 07:04 PM
Allstar
F@H

Nah... I don't think that is necessary. Just up the cpu frequency to where you want it or where it is stable... Moving the jumper probably locks the board at 400 fsb...