Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 9, 2008, 07:28 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default TAT vs Coretemp?

Hi guys, I was just browsing extremetech and I noticed a lot of people were using TAT to record their cpu heat. The thing is, TAT gives me much lower results than coretemp. TAT maxes out at 44C under load, while coretemp gets around 58C. What's going on there? I'd think the actual intel utility would be the most accurate...

Old January 9, 2008, 07:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

They measure the temp from different loci which generally read 10 to 15 degrees different so your readings look about right. the rule of thumb is to stay below 60 or sp using CoreTemp, but below 47 or so on TAT- so with that in mind, either one is OK- unless you're using Vista of course
Old January 9, 2008, 07:46 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks a lot. Looks like my temps are ok then, though I don't have much headroom left. I think I got the overclocking bug, I want to push that baby HIGHER DAMNIT! *cough*

Erm, I wonder if I could convince my gf that we should splurge $300 on some water cooling setup... But baby, it's for science! Honest!

Old January 9, 2008, 08:20 PM
Allstar

just a general vista knock, or actual issues in temp readings with it?

also, funny how I asked this exact question like a half hour ago in my other post... WEIRD!
Old January 9, 2008, 09:07 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spblue View Post
Erm, I wonder if I could convince my gf that we should splurge $300 on some water cooling setup... But baby, it's for science! Honest!
3.8 on your CPU is quite respectable! And do I hear a future folder for the FAH Team?