Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 22, 2011, 08:51 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

there will be wifi on site, but cell phone service sucks down there. bring your laptops, bring your camera's, bring your video camera's.

i am honestly not sure what to expect. this is the first kind of "event" like this that i have put on. i want to have games/competitions going on to try and keep it interesting for everyone watching. but mostly it will just be geeks being geeks.

the UnLab members that are going to be there range from early 20's to late 40's. some are programmers, some designers, some just electronics junkies. it really is a diverse, casual, and personable crowd. it should be a pretty good time for anyone that shows up and just wants to have a good night hanging out with like minded individuals.
Old January 23, 2011, 02:46 AM

the ASUS Maximus IV Extreme showed up today and i got to testing it through the night:

to avoid potential issues with going cold on these chips, i managed to duct tape a loop together of stuff sitting around in boxes. yes, that is an Asetek waterblock with a diaper. the hold down fits 1155 holes almost perfectly...not sure what the hold down was for originally.

here is the first decent 32M from the setup:

i need to get the Hypers working on the next higher ratio, although, i could insulate the DIMMs and run the memory at 6-6-5 at these clocks going sub-zero with the GTX2s. plenty of options.
Old January 23, 2011, 05:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

nice clocks there 3oh6 braver then me 1.56 on alone water. thanks man
Old January 23, 2011, 06:21 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

wow, and thats just on water..
Old January 23, 2011, 12:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I signed up, seeing if a few others want to come :)
Old January 25, 2011, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarthfea View Post
wow, and thats just on water..
yeah, well, they don't really scale with cold so it's not that big a deal. Zac got a bit of scaling out of going colder on chilled water, but i am not seeing any gains going from cool water to sub-zero with phase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCD View Post
I signed up, seeing if a few others want to come :)
that is excellent. it is really starting to look like a good crowd will be out. i'll have some ASUS t-shirts and HWC swag to give away. make sure you come talk to me so i know who you are

here is the setup as of right now:

and a quick 50K 05 run from last night with the GTX 580 on air. i am almost all set with OS's setup for each bench and how i am going to attack everything.

Old January 25, 2011, 05:40 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

wicked so it really doesn't matter then about how cold these chips are,just means you can get some crazy clocks with even just water. thanks 3oh6
Old January 25, 2011, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
wicked so it really doesn't matter then about how cold these chips are,just means you can get some crazy clocks with even just water. thanks 3oh6
yeah, i just finished going through all the multi's (50-54) and 5540MHz is the absolute highest this chip goes...period.

it benched 32M @ 5536MHz on water w/ 1.54v (might have done with less i just set that) with CPU temps up to 40C in realtemp, and at -35C evap temp with up to 1.65v vCORE at any multi/bclk combo, i can't validate 5550MHz.

keep in mind this is just a single CPU, but it looks like they have a set number and just stop there. this seems to be quite common from stories in forums. it is quite a shame, because this chip is a monster. 108 BCLK is a piece of cake, and 5500MHz at 1.5v vCORE for most benches...if only it even scaled with vCORE.
Old January 25, 2011, 04:21 PM

HWC swag to be given away at the party has arrived:

i am also tearing the board down to prep the memory for sub-zero action. the CPU doesn't have the clocks to get sub 6min, so we'll have to go 1000MHz 6-6-5 to get it
Old January 25, 2011, 06:22 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

yay mugs!
I'm signed up as well, it gave me a ticket but I haven't a printer on hand. i'll bring a photograph of the ticket on my camera.

anyone coming from fanshawe area?