Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 12, 2011, 11:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Dancing_Banana I must somehow be cheating

After a month of tireless tweaking, testing, research, tweaking, testing, and even more frustrating tweaking, I found a pretty nice sweet spot on my X3440.

I honestly can't believe this is possible myself, I must somehow be cheating. But I've run 100 passes of LinX followed by 4 hours of prime95, still no errors. Now I'm going to leave it folding to see if I get any issues, since that's all the chip's going to be doing. 15k PPD isn't too shabby for SMP.

Yes, that's 3.8ghz with HT on at 1.168 vcore. VTT is at 1.15. All other settings are at stock. And yes, that's an H55 matx board. I've got a Prolimatech Megahalems with a single NF-P12 cooling it, as well as Enzotechs for the mosfets. System specs are under the tab. Batch#L018A939. According to the Gigabyte DES utility I'm only pulling 132 watts with the CPU.
Attached Images

Old January 12, 2011, 11:40 PM
Banned
F@H

thats quite very pritty nice man. and if you bump it up to 1.25-.13...how much does it do? :)

happy folding bro
Old January 12, 2011, 11:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Reviews say the upper limit for this board is around 210-220 BCLK, so I haven't really tried to push it further. I'm also going to need more than a 1300RPM fan to cool it if I try to pump more voltage, thermal throttling kicks in at 72C and the chip shuts down at about 87C. Luckily NCIX just got some stock on the Scythe GT's. :)

I'm actually a little tempted to put this under water, but I don't think I'd want to dump that much money into something I'm not sure I'll do right.

The PPD/W has me quite satisfied, not to mention the low noise, on air cooling. Once my 1600 ram comes in I'm going to try and give bigadv a shot. No more buyers remorse for not waiting for SB now. :)

Pretty good value too, the mobo+ram+cpu only cost me $420+tax.
Old January 13, 2011, 12:22 AM
Banned
F@H

kicking. then leave it be....i guess the hr-02 wont fit there right? :evil:
Old January 13, 2011, 05:52 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Nice! I love the power draw from the wall as well. Good work!
Fold for team #54196
Old January 13, 2011, 05:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

wicked overclock on 3440 for 3.8 i need much more then that, but tm kicking in at 72 on your cores doesn't make sense i have mine on a noctau 12spe and i have a hard time even reaching my tm. or are you just stating that intel says it's max ihs temp is 72.6 core max temp is much higher then that. very nice power draw.
Old January 13, 2011, 09:13 AM

My System Specs

That is a pretty impressive CPU especially for an LGA1156. I don't think you'll be able to delivery more voltage w/ that board in all likeliness though. H55 boards just aren't built to handle that kind of CPU voltage/clocks.
Old January 13, 2011, 12:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
wicked overclock on 3440 for 3.8 i need much more then that, but tm kicking in at 72 on your cores doesn't make sense i have mine on a noctau 12spe and i have a hard time even reaching my tm. or are you just stating that intel says it's max ihs temp is 72.6 core max temp is much higher then that. very nice power draw.
My chip's been throttling in the mid 70's and shutting down in the high 80's, I thought tm was the cause. I guess the difference in cooling between yours and mine would be the extra fan. I hit 66-67c on LinX at this OC with 1.168v, seems pretty high considering the low volts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
That is a pretty impressive CPU especially for an LGA1156. I don't think you'll be able to delivery more voltage w/ that board in all likeliness though. H55 boards just aren't built to handle that kind of CPU voltage/clocks.
Surprisingly enough, the power delivery on the board seems to handle 1.2+v without many issues. The main problem is getting it stable with bclk over 200 (been having major issues at ~210) and keeping the temps under control. I guess that's what 11 phases of drmos will do for you, helps to explain why the new Sandy Bridge chips OC so well as well, since Intel made them standard.
Old January 13, 2011, 01:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

really even with my tm on it nevers throttle's at all even at 1.4v and i thought the mega was right around the same as what i am running. just wondering why your tm is kicking in at all cause your reading core temps ( cause your using realtemp ) and it reads core not ihs and intel states that 72.6 for ihs not cores, just curious why is all for me too wondering if maybe my chip is running hotter then i would like. I always leave tm on when overclocking cause i like to play safe Or safer when overclocking is all.

I have an h55 i am selling right now and it's vrm don't even get warm at 1.35vcore and that pushing at 4.4 i530 ( the one i have for sale wicked clocks outta these chips i had 3 over the last 3/4 months ) very wicked clocks gotta get that chip under fluid and see what it can do.
Old January 17, 2011, 03:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Gah, I guess my OC was too good to be true. My system freezes whenever it's idle for an extended amount of time. (like right when it's trying to upload a bigadv WU) All C states and power savings features are disabled. LLC is enabled, but the system gets massive vdroop whenever there isn't any significant load.

Any ideas on maintaining stability?

Funny that I don't find this out until after my first bigadv. The system had been tested for a day with LinX/prime95 then was left folding for 4 days straight without hiccups, then it freezes and crashes when it's idle for too long uploading a big WU.