Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 10, 2011, 11:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Question Questions on i7-930 GA-X58A-UD5

finally started to o/c my build today (built in September) and having trouble finding the general "this is the optimal 930 settings."

I know for the 920, people had hella problems with the 20x multiplier and that using a higher bclk and lower memory multiplier reduces the QPI/VTT voltage requirements for stability.

Also, you shouldn't go over 1.35 QPI/VTT and 1.65 vdimm (and you shouldn't have more than 0.5v difference between the two!). Most people also seem to hit 4Ghz with less than 1.3v vcore and you shouldn't push above 1.4v vcore (although gigabyte suggests anything under 1.55v) for longevity.

Well, that's about all the standard things I know.

So, anyone know:
-Most 'friendly' multiplier at hitting +3.8 Ghz with keeping voltages in check? (espeically QPI/VTT I don't want to exceed 1.35).
-Optimal settings to find my max bclk without going over 1.45v vcore and 1.35 QPI/VTT?
-Anything else I should know about the 930?

I'm optimistic that I can reach the same 4.3 Ghz on air that they did with their CPU but with lower voltages through a higher bclk (a few people with the same mobo reported 220 bclk without insane voltages)
Review - Intel Core i7-930 CPU Review | bit-tech.net
I'll just cross my fingers that I got a special 930 :)

Last edited by draemn; January 11, 2011 at 06:24 PM.
Old January 11, 2011, 12:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Upon a bit more light reading, I'm getting some conflicting uses of voltages.

I found a large thread all about o/c ability of different batches of 930s and they didn't even consider QPI/VTT (or vQPI) as am important part of the o/c for stability, but most sites I've been on say that QPI/VTT is crucial for stability.

Anyone remember the difference in gigabyte jargon? I ready it once, but I can't find that article again... i.e. gigabyte uses CPU PLL, QPI PLL, IOH core, ICH I/O, ICH core. under the MCH/ICH CPU votages

EDIT: found the article where they explain the jargon between manuf. 3 Step Overclocking Guide – Bloomfield and Gulftown | TechREACTION

Last edited by draemn; January 11, 2011 at 01:41 AM.
Old January 11, 2011, 08:10 PM
MVP

I have the exact same MP & CPU and have been happily clocked at 4.01ghz from day one.

Multiplier = 20
BCLK = 200

CPU Voltager is at 1.3
cpu pll = 1.88v
QPI VTT = 1.36v
Dram = 1.6v
ioh core = 1.2v
ich/io = 1.5v

I will try to play with the BCLK to see if I can reach higher Ghz without craze voltage increases.

Intel i7-2600K @ 4.8Ghz
Asus Sabertooth Z77
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z (1866MhZ CAS9)
NZXT Kraken X60 CPU Cooler
2x Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD (RAID 0)
Seagate 7200.12 500gig HD
Galaxy GTX660Ti 3GB
LG DVDR
NZXT Phantom 630 Case
Antec TruPower New 750W Power Supply
Old January 11, 2011, 08:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnubian View Post
I have the exact same MP & CPU and have been happily clocked at 4.01ghz from day one.

Multiplier = 20
BCLK = 200

CPU Voltager is at 1.3
cpu pll = 1.88v
QPI VTT = 1.36v
Dram = 1.6v
ioh core = 1.2v
ich/io = 1.5v

I will try to play with the BCLK to see if I can reach higher Ghz without craze voltage increases.
I was getting 'too high' of temps when I had my IOH core at 1.2v.... but it's still stable at 1.16v and about 20 deg C cooler (with SLI GTX 460 + GT 240 PhysX)... I'm really pissed that my Scythe Mugen 2 REV.B doesn't get close to the temps that I read about in reviews :(

As for your QPI, 1.35v is usually considered the 'max' for safety, but 1.6 isn't a huge deal. Can you up your vcore to lower your QPI/VTT? the i7 can take a lot more vcore than it can QPI before getting slowly damaged.

For now, I'm looking for the 'optimal' ~3.8 Ghz overclock and found 19x to work just slightly better than 18x (although 18x was 100Mhz higher and 69Mhz on my RAM). I might get around to it this week, otherwise next week, and push my CPU as far as my air cooler can go. Sadly it's not doing as well I expected it to do based on 4 online reviews :( I only used arctic silver 5 since I don't care about the extra 2 degrees from diamond at $8 more. I'm not sure if I put on enough, but the mugen 2 has a very well polished base so I didn't expect it to need much. Probably haven't 'broken in' my thermal cycles either.

I'm debating if I should go for the highest stable under 80 o/c with stressing thermals or stable with a stress test not designed for max thermals? Or should I try for under 90 deg since I'm only going to do it for bragging rights and go back to my 3.8 Ghz for 24/7 use?

What's the advantage of raising CPU PLL? I didn't change my PLL for 3.8 Ghz.
Old January 12, 2011, 08:12 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by draemn View Post
I was getting 'too high' of temps when I had my IOH core at 1.2v.... but it's still stable at 1.16v and about 20 deg C cooler (with SLI GTX 460 + GT 240 PhysX)... I'm really pissed that my Scythe Mugen 2 REV.B doesn't get close to the temps that I read about in reviews :(

As for your QPI, 1.35v is usually considered the 'max' for safety, but 1.6 isn't a huge deal. Can you up your vcore to lower your QPI/VTT? the i7 can take a lot more vcore than it can QPI before getting slowly damaged.

For now, I'm looking for the 'optimal' ~3.8 Ghz overclock and found 19x to work just slightly better than 18x (although 18x was 100Mhz higher and 69Mhz on my RAM). I might get around to it this week, otherwise next week, and push my CPU as far as my air cooler can go. Sadly it's not doing as well I expected it to do based on 4 online reviews :( I only used arctic silver 5 since I don't care about the extra 2 degrees from diamond at $8 more. I'm not sure if I put on enough, but the mugen 2 has a very well polished base so I didn't expect it to need much. Probably haven't 'broken in' my thermal cycles either.

I'm debating if I should go for the highest stable under 80 o/c with stressing thermals or stable with a stress test not designed for max thermals? Or should I try for under 90 deg since I'm only going to do it for bragging rights and go back to my 3.8 Ghz for 24/7 use?

What's the advantage of raising CPU PLL? I didn't change my PLL for 3.8 Ghz.
My QPI voltage is just .01v higher than what was default with the board. These aren't my final settings. I know the chip can do more and will play with lowering the multi and raising the BCLK since this board is capable of running higher than 200 for sure.

As for a cooler I use a Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. B with dual Scythe Slipstream fans. The i7 does put out lots of heat so getting the best cooler you can is the only option, if you are going to overclock that it.

The heatsink you are using is supposed to be a good one. Reseat the heatsink carefully to see if it will make a difference.

The cpu PLL voltage incresae was recommended on a few overclocking forums I visited. I will have to investigate further to see what it's exact effects are.

My settings were designed for the maximum possibility of achieving 4ghz not necessarily for the individual tweaking of my particular cpu. They are all a little different and I will have to play around with the settings when I get a chance.

Intel i7-2600K @ 4.8Ghz
Asus Sabertooth Z77
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z (1866MhZ CAS9)
NZXT Kraken X60 CPU Cooler
2x Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD (RAID 0)
Seagate 7200.12 500gig HD
Galaxy GTX660Ti 3GB
LG DVDR
NZXT Phantom 630 Case
Antec TruPower New 750W Power Supply
Old January 12, 2011, 12:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I already reseated the heatsink once, I'd rather not do it a third time. Yeah, I'm still stumbling around trying to see about the other voltages too (instead of just following suggestions).
Old February 4, 2011, 06:13 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

QPI VTT 1.35 is really for stock cooling, Long as you have good air flow and a good cooler, than 1.45 is good on air. Depends on your set up, if you are not going over 1600 on your ram. You will not need much more than that. It is said to keep you ram voltage within .5 of your QPI VTT. Some ram will require more QPI VTT voltage than others. So with 1.45 on QPI VTT the max voltage on the ram to be within .5 volts would be 1.95 volts. G.Skill is calling for 1.5 or more volts on QPI VTT with an rampage II extreme to run their 2000c6 at 2000.

To get my 930 to run 4Ghz I need 1.48 volts. To run at 3.7Ghz, 1.35 volts is needed. Really good cooling is needed to run either as my cpu gets hot. But at 3.5, voltage is 1.23-1.27 to run that and temps are much lower.

Good luck.