Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/overclocking-tweaking-benchmarking/)
-   -   Phenom II 555 unlocking help (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/overclocking-tweaking-benchmarking/39630-phenom-ii-555-unlocking-help.html)

jibz January 5, 2011 10:13 PM

Phenom II 555 unlocking help

Hey Canucks,

I just got my hands on a phenom II x2 555 and I'm trying to make it into something that can fold some decent PPD. It unlocked smoothly into a quad core and it's currently being chewed on by prime95 with no errors but I'm having trouble figuring out the temps.

Realtemp gives an unknown CPU 'B55' error and won't run at all.

Speedfan gives me four temps:
temp 1 which idles at 27c, loads at 41c.
temp 2 which stays at 27c constant.
temp 3 which is a broken -128c
temp 4 which is a broken 0c

Should I trust temp 1?

Also if anybody has a unlocked amd dual core experience to share I'd love hearing about it.

Update 1:
Running at 4140mhz @ 1.52v temp 1 in speed fan shows 50c but I can't imagine it being this low, my phenom II x4 965 would get up to 61c with the same clock and only 1.44 vcore

unlocked dual core out performing a quad?

_dangtx_ January 5, 2011 10:47 PM

when you run acc the temps can and will go off the hook. normal, dont sweat it.

remember the voltage resulting temps you had before, and add maybe 10-15c because of the additional cores.

as long as it doesn't beggar out? don't worry about it.

now, 1.5-1.55 all day long with decent temps is fine, 1.6 is starting to push it unless you got water cooling.

and thanks for the contribution man!

jibz January 5, 2011 11:21 PM

Ir might be a little early to say it but I think this little guy is the most impressive CPU I've ever owned.

4.2 ghz quad core @ 1.504v from a chip which is a dual core @ 3.2ghz stock. I'll see if I can get 4.6ghz stable out of it tomorrow, hopefully it doesn't die on me. Only using a corsair A50 to cool it (it was on sale don't hassle me)

_dangtx_ January 5, 2011 11:30 PM

i wouldnt put more than 1.5v on the weako a50 :) *

but if you can cram up another mhz? nice!

if i were you id pop a kill a watt at the wall and watch the numbers when loaded. the bigger the jump(given you have an appropriate psu) the more you got to take it easy. when youre about to reach your limit, itll show you plenty :)

*edit : for 24/7 folding

jibz January 6, 2011 07:11 PM

I think I may have killed it, windows locked up when trying to boot every time.

:(

_dangtx_ January 6, 2011 07:29 PM

bios defaults? acc off. how much juice did you give it? kinda hard to bork it lol

jibz January 6, 2011 07:36 PM

I had the voltage at auto since the mobo won't post with user set voltages, had the onboard GPU @ 900mhz core was at 4.3ghz believe it was 1.52v in CPU-Z. System went into hibernate from idling when i woke it the display didn't comeback. After restarting (and swapping memory for no good reason) windows has locked up when booting every time.

Ran memtest and passed, CPU is on stock everything. Posts fine everything in bios seems good but windows locks up. (locks up in restore, normal boot, boot from disk but memtest runs fine)

Although the first time this locked up the HDD made some rapid loud clicking non stop... Maybe HDD failed?

I got class early tomorrow but I get out at 10am so I guess tomorrow I'll pop it in my main rig and see if windows boots for it. (and format it)

_dangtx_ January 6, 2011 07:43 PM

get a live cd on there, if that boots and doesnt bork its not your cpu

gl with the girls in class

jibz January 6, 2011 07:45 PM

it freezes when it loads windows from disk...

Is there a USB bootable prime95ish program?

_dangtx_ January 6, 2011 07:52 PM

you can get wprime on a usb, or load linux, or better get ubcd,its got prime. not sure how many threads it can do but with duallies its fine