Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/overclocking-tweaking-benchmarking/)
-   -   Core temp VS CPU temp (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/overclocking-tweaking-benchmarking/39582-core-temp-vs-cpu-temp.html)

cul8erppl January 4, 2011 01:37 PM

Core temp VS CPU temp

Ok, so i've read a billion articles about this, and now i'm confused as ever.

I have a phenom II x3 @ 2.6GHz, with unlocked 4th core & OC'd @ 3.25GHz, running with Coolit ECO & AC MX2 Thermal Paste.

Using speedfan, I see CPU temp of 29C to 30C idle. I see CPU temp of 46C to 47C load with prime95.

So, my questions:
1. Are core temps lower, or higher, than CPU temps?
2. Is the "danger zone" of 55C referring to CPU temps or Core temps?

I've read that core temps are lower than reported cpu temps...so does that mean my core temp is roughly 22C to 23C idle...and 39C to 40C on load...based on my figures above?

If the danger zone of 55C is referring to CPU temp, i guess my temps are okay? Thanks.

Shredder January 5, 2011 08:37 AM

Speed Fan shows the CPU temperature which is Tc

AMD Processor Specs to see the Max Tc values for AMD , Find yours and determine max Tc

In my opinion RealTemp after proper calibration appears to be the most acurate in its estimation of actual core temperatures.

cul8erppl January 5, 2011 10:16 AM

^^^ So, if i configure RealTemp correctly, it'll show me core temps even with the unlocked cores? I thought we weren't able to get core temps when our cores were unlocked, or does RealTemp just make an approximation on core temps?

Also, there's Tcase Max (55C to 73C) and Tctl Max (70C)...which one is the tc max?...I'm guessing its Tctl Max?

Rasparthe January 5, 2011 11:22 AM

I'm not sure if RealTemp even supports AMD chips. I think I usually use CoreTemp (link) for AMD chips. To your question though, the one you are looking for is Tctl Max.

cul8erppl January 5, 2011 11:30 AM

^^^ Great, thanks Rasparthe. So it looks like my tc temp under load is well within the max tc.

So, would CoreTemp give me the core temps, if the hidden core was unlocked?

Rasparthe January 5, 2011 11:47 AM

No, once you unlocked the core the temperature function no longer works. There isn't any Temp program that will read it after that, as far as I know. Speedfan and HWmonitor will tell you the socket temperature which is always different than the actual core temps you see in CoreTemp. One thing you can do is return the chip to its 'locked state' note the difference between the socket temperature and the CoreTemp (which should read correctly once its been returned to normal state). It won't be entirely accurate of course but roughly it should help.

cul8erppl January 5, 2011 01:27 PM

^^^ Yeah, that's what I read too. Thanks Rasparthe.

Do you know by experience or knowledge, if core temps are usually higher than cpu/tc temp? Or, are they lower than cpu/tc temp? And, by how much of a difference usually, say 10C?

Rasparthe January 5, 2011 01:50 PM

The socket temp should be higher than the core temp. If I remember correctly between 5 and 10 degrees, so on average, say 7 degrees. :thumb:

cul8erppl January 5, 2011 02:10 PM

^^^ thanks rasparthe!!!

So if my socket temp is reading 46C to 47C during load, the core temp may possibly be around 39C to 40C. Not bad.