Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 6, 2008, 03:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

unfortunatly at 1.42 the temps were out of control already, i tried coretemp just now, but i dont think its working right, its got my processor listed right, but it says that max is 100c and i'm running 70 now, when the other software sensors i have all show i'm just over 50c. i'm going to drop the vcore as low as it can i think and see how close i can stay to 3524 with the lowest amount of volts meby i'm way more than i need already and can tame temps a bit that way. btw, whats a safe MB temp? i've got pc probe warning me at 45c default, wich is almost always over and annoying
Old January 6, 2008, 03:24 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

You are unstable because you are reaching the CPU Temperature threshold. 70C, right? The 100C shown is NOT the max, it's the tjunction. Believe CoreTemp. Speedfan reads temps 15C lower than reality on Quads because of the 100C tjunction (instead of 85C on Dual Cores). Sorry - totally forgot about that.
Old January 6, 2008, 04:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

ah, well if thats true, i'm running aloooot hotter than i thought. though ive now seen coretemp up to 86 and it didnt cause the computer to shut down, though i didnt let it run that long, about 10 mins or so. your right, its exactly 15c difference. how can i cool this bit@% down now that i know its running a bit too warm? i've already got two 120mm fans one front blowing in, one back blowing out, the zalman 9500 and a 90mm side case fan blowing out with a dab of arctic silver already for goop. the heatsink on the cpu cooler is copper and shiny enough to comb my hair with so i cant even go so extreem as to sand the block as smooth as smooth can be. my cables are absolutely unobtrusive so there should be adequate air flow. What else can be done?
Old January 6, 2008, 04:28 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Not much.... you have reached the limit of your Zalman, in regards to heat extraction generated by the high VCore for the CPU. 2 options: change the HSF for a better one, or lower the VCore.

Sorry.
Old January 6, 2008, 07:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Well i've tamed the temp beast a bit, but i dont think i'll be getting any more out of this chip. so far as i can tell i have 2 cores that can handle 3.6 and two cores that cant. when i use orthos on core 0 and 1 i dont have any trouble with it, but soon as i run orthos on 2 and 3 it dies in moments i'm going to play with it just a wee bit more, but i've already humbled myself to accept its limits. so the next step is benchmarking, i have 3dmark06, are there any other programs you guys might suggest to test this rig out?
Old January 6, 2008, 07:41 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You won't be getting more out of this chip with your current HSF. There are always others... As for benching, you can try SuperPi, 3Dmark05 and 06.
Old January 12, 2008, 11:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Ok, so i go into my local computershop and low an behold, they dont sell exotic cooling... so i went to another, same story, same story everywhere i went. I dont know anything at all about exotic cooling so i ask you my friends, if you had say... 150 bucks to spend on an exotic cooler to take your q6600 into happiness, what would you recommend? I've got an ASUS p5k deluxe wifi board with all 4 slots of ram used. the p5k has alot of heat piping around the board so it would have to fit in there. Now that i have you thinking, if you had unlimited funds, what is the best commercial cooling system for a processor today?
Old January 12, 2008, 11:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

If you want exotic. I would take the plunge into watercooling. Swiftech H20-120 is a great kit. It's $119.99 @ Direct Canada.

Next Build: E5200 @ 3.6GHz (333x11) | Xigmatek HDT-RS1283 HSF | Biostar TP43D2-A7 | Mushkin Redlines DDR2-1000 @ DDR2-999 5-5-5-12
EVGA 9600 GT 512MB - 650MHz - 1800MHz - 1626MHz | Seagate 'Cuda 250GB 7200rpm SATA2 | Corsair VX550 | CM690 - Custom Atomic Orange Pearl

[Heatware]
[eBay]
[Rosetta]
BALISTX.com
Old January 13, 2008, 02:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Unlimited funds??? Hmmm...I would buy this: VapoChill LS Black and its only C$ 859.00

Not bad ey? I believe this will cool your chip down to -40 under load.....Then you'll start benching!!
Old January 13, 2008, 08:42 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Dr. Silver View Post
Unlimited funds??? Hmmm...I would buy this: VapoChill LS Black and its only C$ 859.00

Not bad ey? I believe this will cool your chip down to -40 under load.....Then you'll start benching!!
Not bad indeed, but you need earmuffs to dampen the noise generated. Remember that this thing is a fridge compressor running full blast next to your rig. I know, my brother-in-law used to have a Mach1. It's great at first, then you get really annoyed by the noise.

Balistx, the Swiftech kit is a great package, but based on my experience a dual rad is mandatory to cool a Quad - I would go for this one instead: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...nufacture=NCIX.