Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 6, 2008, 12:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

ack, yes sorry, by "modify the cooling system" i ment water.

Just a question, but might dropping the multiplier to 8 from 9 and re adjusting the fsb again possibly help with stability? seems to me that it might cause the opposite to happen, but i'm not sure. i'm happy with the speeds i have, really happy... but i really think it'll hit 3.6 even... and i just cant let it go... if i can get 3.6 i'll call it good... probly, but i just have to get it there i really think it'll do it...eventually. i just need to learn how to rub it the right way if you know what i mean. i hope i dont fry it before getting there, but if i do... i'll have an excuse to buy a new one :D
Old January 6, 2008, 12:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzetsin View Post
Just a question, but might dropping the multiplier to 8 from 9 and re adjusting the fsb again possibly help with stability? seems to me that it might cause the opposite to happen, but i'm not sure. i'm happy with the speeds i have, really happy... but i really think it'll hit 3.6 even... and i just cant let it go... if i can get 3.6 i'll call it good... probly, but i just have to get it there i really think it'll do it...eventually. i just need to learn how to rub it the right way if you know what i mean. i hope i dont fry it before getting there, but if i do... i'll have an excuse to buy a new one :D
w0000t, he's got it, he's got it! He's got the disease! Another OC freak!

Ps. Some systems like multiplier 8 better than 9 or vice versa...depends on your RAM really....Just keep trying!!!
Old January 6, 2008, 12:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

OMG i had a heart attack... fyi everyone if you mess with your multiplyer you can fool vista into thinking your running alot faster than you are. i almost died when i hit properties on my "my computer" and saw i'm running @ 4.05 ghz. cupz confirmed an even 3.6 though.
Old January 6, 2008, 01:24 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

now i'm beggining to notice a trend, it seems that its core 3 thats stopping the show every time. is there any way to adjust settings for just that core? or slowing just that core down?
Old January 6, 2008, 02:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

That might just be the core that is going on his coffee break.....

Did he go to Timmie or SB?? LOL....what is stopping the show....does it not perform well??
Old January 6, 2008, 09:15 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzetsin View Post
ack, yes sorry, by "modify the cooling system" i ment water.

Hitting 3.6 on air with a Quad is something. You should be very happy if you do.

You sure can try a 8x multi, if your Ram can handle it. You will also see a performance increase with a higher FSB.
Old January 6, 2008, 01:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

When i'm using prime95 to stress test i can see that its core 3 that stops working just before blue screen, i set affinity to just 1,2 and 4, but then 4 stops and blue screens, i set affinity to just 1 and 2 and i can run stable for hours at 3.6. you think maby cores 3 and 4 are getting too much heat? incresing the vcore doesnt help at all might there be anouther reason for those two cores to fail before the first two?
Old January 6, 2008, 01:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

What sort of temperatures are showing on each core? With Quad-cores, since they consist of two dual cores side-by-side, it's quite normal to have two cores showing higher temperatures than the other two. But if the difference is severe (say, by more than 10 degrees), maybe the cooler isn't putting even pressure on the chip? Or perhaps the thermal interface material isn't spread evenly?
Old January 6, 2008, 02:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

well i downloaded speedfan so i can see the temps of all the cores, they are all pretty close though, one thing that scares me a bit is something speedfan calls AUX, its sitting at 122C an i dont have a clue what could be running that hot in there except maby the PSU?? i was thinking though about what you said, two dual cores side by side? perhaps the max speed for the one is lower than the other on this chip. just seems i cant break this barrier not even one more point on the fsb. i've got my ram locked at default timings, and 1:1, with 2.2v, the pci is locked at 100 turned off all the extra stuff on the cpu (wich seemed to lower the temps btw) ive added voltages up to 1.42 to the vcore, and i've tried a 1.4 v to the NB. Also i've dropped the multiplyer to 8, brought the fsb up and still nothing breaks 3524.... how hard is it to install water?
Old January 6, 2008, 02:56 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Don't worry, Speedfan's Aux. Temperature sensor @ 122C is a known bug. Use Coretemp instead, the latest version shows all 4 cores: Core Temp. Have you tried 1.45V? If your temps are still below 60C under load (any core), you still good to go! NB volts are used to stabilise both high-FSB oc'ing and Ram (especially 4x1Gb sticks).

Water-cooling is not really difficult. Ity may help you reach a higher FSB, but not that much. Air cooling is very efficient; water-cooling will help you when a chip is running really hot, when you want to bench at very high VCore and when you wish to lower the noise generated by an Air cooler. The water-cooling fans are usually quieter.

I still think you have one heck of a chip in your hands, and you're not missing much to reach your goal.