Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 7, 2011, 10:56 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Stage 4 will be hotly contested, as SuperPi 32M is one of those benches that separates the men from the boys. Really hoping Jody can help us out there too!

I can use my QX9650 towards Stage 4, but I'll admit I've never used it for single-threaded benchmarks before so I'm not sure how much I'll be able to get out of it. We shall see. The mild temperatures expected for the next week are not gonna help with my ghetto sub-zero setup.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old January 7, 2011, 11:01 AM
MVP

I was thinking of doing the same thing in my cold room/cellar - any problems with running antifreeze in your loop or do you drain each time?
Old January 7, 2011, 11:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I only put that loop together when I need it. Maybe 2-3 weeks at a time at most. I've done it three times so far, and so far so good. I just put it together for the first time this year and leak tested it last night. It's 50/50 antifreeze and distilled, which protects me to -37 (or so it says). It works quite well actually... If you already have the parts, that is. Otherwise, it probably isn't much cheaper than getting an entry-level SS.

But yeah, I half expected the pump to bite it after a while of dealing with sub-freezing liquid, but so far it's been a trooper.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old January 7, 2011, 11:29 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Unfortunately my plans to contribute to stage 3 ended up killing my mobo's onboard graphics chipset. 85% OC wasn't meant to be.
Old January 7, 2011, 11:34 AM
MVP

Ouch ...what type of board was it?
Old January 7, 2011, 11:49 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Things View Post
Stage 4 will be hotly contested, as SuperPi 32M is one of those benches that separates the men from the boys. Really hoping Jody can help us out there too!
i dug the RE and my E8400 out of a box that can run 32M @ 630~640 FS...just need to find time to insulate the board and get a run laid out. i'll do my best to get something posted before it ends

for 01 and the onboard, Sandy Bridge is an absolute must. you don't even need much for GPU, it is all CPU. anyone have a SB setup in London they want to play with at my place?
Old January 7, 2011, 11:50 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

A asus 785g-v evo. It posts, I passed memtest, I tried a couple CPUs, I tested the HDD in a different computer. I get the same freezing while trying to install fresh windows with each hardware combo so it leaves me to believe the mobo is gone, as well as seeing artifacts on the windows splash screen. I think the onboard chipset didn't like 900mhz.

How does one trouble shoot the mobo other than what I've done?

I'm waiting on a gtx 460 which should be here monday to see it'll get by with onboard graphics chipset disabled. (I have gtx 460 sli in my main rig but I don't feel like taking one out)
Old January 7, 2011, 12:15 PM
MVP

Why not try and warranty it? Too old?
Old January 7, 2011, 12:16 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Well it was massively overclocked and a resold RMA replacement. Think Asus would cover that?
Old January 8, 2011, 04:22 PM
MVP

My System Specs

we need one more results for scoring in Stage 3