Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 31, 2007, 02:22 PM
Rookie

Default First Time OC, odd problem

Hey guys,

I am running into a weird problem with my first time OCing. I set a small overclock (from 2.4 to 2.6) and when I boot, I make it past the bios, Windows (XP) loads, but when I click to log in and it starts loading my desktop, my computer just freezes. I am just finding it weird that it freezes when it logs into windows but makes it past the bios and actually load windows. Also a side question: I have OCed from 2.4 to 2.5 and it registers in the BIOS, but CPU-Z and NView still say I am running 2.4. Any help would be great.

Thanks
AP
Old December 31, 2007, 02:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

First of all: Welcome and Happy New Year!

It is actually very common in the OC world.....that is if your BIOS posts but Windows doesn't load properly or at all.....that something is wrong...A setting might be off.

Could you be so kind to give us a detailed description of your computer with your BIOS settings that you've used for the OC? We could help you better if we knew more!
Old December 31, 2007, 04:25 PM
Rookie

Thanks Prof for the reply

I put my rig's description in my sig. For the OC, I just bumped up the FSB using the Linked Settings for the memory.
RAM: 4 x 1gb Corsair XMS2
GPU: 2 x BFG 8800GT OC
PSU: 850 watt OCZ GameXStream
Case: Antec 900
Old December 31, 2007, 04:52 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Try unlinking your memory to start.

My experience has been that windoze loading errors are 80%+ memory related.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old January 1, 2008, 12:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Yes...sswilson is right! And you're lucky because you can...many ppl do not have that option... run your RAM 'unlinked' from the CPU.

For your first OC, you might want to set it to this for example...

FSB = 1333MHz
RAM = 800MHz
Multiplier = 9x

This will make it run @ 3.0Ghz and I think at this stage your CPU should be able to run on stock voltages. You might want to set that too in the BIOS...I believe it is 1.35V?? Check if this is a stable OC with Orthos or so and then you may continue to raise the OC bar! Good Luck!
Old January 1, 2008, 01:54 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

hmm. I would definitely not try running the Quad at 3.0Ghz yet. If the OP tried 2.6GHz (from 2.4) and it did not load the OS, something else is definitely wrong. Stay stock first, and test your Ram using Memtest86+. You may have errors and need to change / RMA the ram sticks.

Any (and I mean ANY) CPU is capable of running oc'ed by 200MHz on stock volts. And most (if not all) Ram sticks are able to run linked and synched and oc'ed by 20MHz.

Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool
Old January 4, 2008, 07:05 PM
Rookie

Thanks guys again for your help. I just got back from visiting in-laws (blah), Im running Memtest now and I am already getting errors. So any errors in memtest means faulty memory? Also, does memtest what slot the bad memory is in?

Thanks
AP
RAM: 4 x 1gb Corsair XMS2
GPU: 2 x BFG 8800GT OC
PSU: 850 watt OCZ GameXStream
Case: Antec 900
Old January 4, 2008, 07:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutomaticPixel View Post
Thanks guys again for your help. I just got back from visiting in-laws (blah), Im running Memtest now and I am already getting errors. So any errors in memtest means faulty memory? Also, does memtest what slot the bad memory is in?

Thanks
AP
Fault errors in memtest does not mean bad memory it can also mean unstable memory which means not running at proper timings, speed or voltage for your memory.

What type of memory do you have? If its a good name brand you can push it to 2.0v and see if you still get the same errors but some memory won't properly run until its at 2.1 or 2.2v
Old January 4, 2008, 07:11 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

You may have found the culprit. Now you have to find which ram stick is causing you trouble. Run the test with one stick installed at a time. Once found, you have to match the second stick and RMA both. You cannot have any errors when using stock voltage.

But using the 680i chipset is another issue. My last 2 680i motherboards had bad memory controllers and both boards had to be RMA'ed.
Old January 4, 2008, 07:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
You may have found the culprit. Now you have to find which ram stick is causing you trouble. Run the test with one stick installed at a time. Once found, you have to match the second stick and RMA both. You cannot have any errors when using stock voltage.

But using the 680i chipset is another issue. My last 2 680i motherboards had bad memory controllers and both boards had to be RMA'ed.
HAH! I'm in the exact same boat as you but to lazy to diagnose it and I'm really hoping its my board as replacing Team Xtreem memory would suck :(