Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 4, 2010, 09:57 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Default Safe folding@home 24/7 voltages for i7

Hey;
Updated my main rig with a Rampage III Formula (mostly due to the PCI-E layout). I also got some new Mushkin Redlines, since they were on the Rampage's QVL, and ran at 1600 6-8-6-24 1N. So basically, I threw my trusted 920 into a new rig.

I have an i7 920 D0 that ran prime and folding stable at 4.0GHZ on my old P6T. The chip is under water.

To get this stable under the Rampage III Formula, I had to work harder than I did for 4.0 than on my P6T. I am using some higher volts on the Rampage, which seem stable under prime now for about 13 hours.

Most of my prime crashes under my new setup seemed to be memory-related (ran fine for a few hours with small FFT, and had worker threads crash in 10mins with blend, and a Code 124 BSOD after 8 hours under blend as well).

Here is a list of settings that worked under the old P6T, with the changes in italics for volts under the Rampage. My main concern is if I missed something, or if my volts are unsafe for folding 24/7.

Old P6T Setting (regular font) / Current Rampage Setting (Italics), where applicable.

CPU Ratio: 21.0 / 20
BCLK: 190 / 200
PCI-E: 100
Dram Freq: 1523mhz / 1600mhz
UCLK: 3047mhz
QPI Link: auto
CPU core volts: 1.275v
CPU PLL: 1.88v / 1.89475
QPI DRam core: 1.35v / 1.36250
IOH volts: 1.2v / 1.24550
ICH volts: auto
Dram volts: 1.64v / 1.65625v
Load line: auto
Spread spectrum, C1E, c-state, speedstep, all disabled.
Old Dram timings: 9-9-9-24-1N, 1523mhz, and new ram settings 6-8-6-24 1N 1600mhz. Both of these memory configs were rated settings for the kit of ram (no OC).

The main settings I am concerned about are the current IOH, PLL, and QPI/Dram voltages for 24/7 folding use.

I increased the IOH as I did as it helped with my prime workers from failing, and the PLL and 20x200 setting got me from 20 mins to about 7 hours stable (until a code 124 BSOD).

Temps are 67c max on two cpu cores, northbridge temp of 63c. HT enabled.

Any suggestions of the safety of this, or if I missed something obvious, is appreciated. I do understand that one hardware setup is different than another, but the old settings I provided as a reference to what the chip itself liked in the past.

Thanks!
Fold for team #54196
Old December 4, 2010, 10:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

CPU VTT boost that by .5 seems to help with i7 overclocks
helps with RAM to

T1 instead of T2 fore RAM also. with some RAM
Old December 4, 2010, 10:31 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Chris,i found that at least with a C0 920 or C0 940,i can run stable at lower voltages by using a multi if 19 and a higher blk perhaps you should try that
Old December 4, 2010, 10:31 PM

My System Specs

I don't see any voltages that I would really be worried about.
Old December 5, 2010, 05:01 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

i always heard that running my cpu pll voltage above 1.8 was on the risker side of things but that only because it's only because i found out the 1.8 should be more then enough. because intel states that above 1.9 will shorten the life of your chip. justmy2cents
Old December 5, 2010, 05:22 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Chris,i found that at least with a C0 920 or C0 940,i can run stable at lower voltages by using a multi if 19 and a higher blk perhaps you should try that
Yeah I agree that most folks seem to get 4.0 best by using 21x190 (its what I used for that chip on my old board), but when I had that prime worker threads would get error after about 10 mins or so. Going with 20x200 got me from 10mins to about 7 hours, so I kept it. The Rampage is supposed to have good bclk, so that was why I tried it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
i always heard that running my cpu pll voltage above 1.8 was on the risker side of things but that only because it's only because i found out the 1.8 should be more then enough. because intel states that above 1.9 will shorten the life of your chip. justmy2cents
Yeah I am still running prime now (20 hours). I am going to enjoy the rig today but I may pull back on the PLL just a notch and see if it will prime through the night again, but a lot of folks seem to have these volts (but sometimes its hard to tell if they simply want to bench or game...not 24/7 folding like me).

Thanks for all replies and thoughts so far...appreciated!
Fold for team #54196
Old December 5, 2010, 05:23 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Voltages look cool, I have one D0 vcore @ 1.25v, another at 1.3v.. it all depends on the motherboard - some droop more I guess.

For folding, I would raise my timings to 9-9-9-24, and run past 1600Mhz w/ 1T rather than tighter timings and lower clock. I currently have a set of Mushkin Ridgebacks that are supposed to run 6-7-6-20 @1600, and running them at 9-9-9-24 @ 1850, 1T and 1.65V (from rated 1.5v). I also have a 120mm fan blowing on it from the front of the case.. been stable for 3-4 months now. I had to crank up my uncore, where things went sideways at first.. but after some proper cooling fans in the case (centurion 590) and having a constant breeze over the motherboard, things settled down fine.
The higher clock speed (should) yield more PPD than tighter timings, that I have found.

Anything under 70c i'm happy with long term, on the i7 920-950 range CPUs. 67c max on core0, is great.
Also with your new setup, I assume your uncore clock is 3.2Ghz? - it's typically twice the ram.

Also, there is a difference between "prime stable" and "folding stable". Currently my folding boxes folding 24/7 - solid. stable. no issues for months. If I ran prime95, I guarantee it'd crash within 2 minutes. All my folding computers do is fold now.. so 'prime95 stable' means nothing to me. :)

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old December 5, 2010, 05:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rison View Post

Also, there is a difference between "prime stable" and "folding stable". Currently my folding boxes folding 24/7 - solid. stable. no issues for months. If I ran prime95, I guarantee it'd crash within 2 minutes. All my folding computers do is fold now.. so 'prime95 stable' means nothing to me. :)
That is what I do also, I will prime for maybe 30 mins. then switch to folding. If rig crashes then I tweak.
Old December 5, 2010, 05:38 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rison View Post
You are right; if a computer will run stable for what you use it for, it could be considered 'stable enough'. My folding temps are lower than my prime ones too typically.

I just have used prime for far too long to drop it as a stability testing program...old farts tend to stick with what works for them.
Fold for team #54196
Old December 5, 2010, 05:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

just a reminder that the max safe temp is for the ihs. not the core tcase is measured at the top of the ihs so that is 67.9c not your core but i would put a fan on my north-bridge i always liked mine to run cooler but that is safe temps for sure still