Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 28, 2010, 08:34 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Arrow My Build First OC

I am new around here, love all the knowledge all the members share. I want to just post my current configuration and see if there is some where I can pick up more performance. Just a bit of info this is my first build, I have always tinkered with computers but just never had the guts to go from case to wiring.

My complete specs and current setup are below, before I overclocked anything I did lot's of research to learn what each setting and component did. There is still some thing's that I don't understand hence the post. I am still not all comfortable adjusting voltage so if you notice below most if not all are set to auto under the voltage. Though with the board I have listed the voltage it says it was running at, I took the higher number as it was changing as I writing it down. Ok enough with this I don't want to make this a long winded post.

I have attached various images from cpu-z, afterburner and amd overdrive just to give an idea of configuration a bit more. I am just seeing if it's worth my time to look into overclocking the memory. I tightened the timings a while back 7-7-7-20 I believe it was but I honestly had no idea what I was doing so I put it back. In the process I noticed my ram was running slower then it should be.

I never adjusted the HT Link or NB as I was not really sure if there was any performance to be gained. Also I have flurted with adjusting my gpu, but it is already overclocked out of the box. And also the overclocks I have seen show the voltage going +200 on the volts and mine only goes to 100. Get real nervous adjusting volts when I am not quiet sure if it was help or hurt it.

If anyone has any insight if I can get more out of my system or if I should take my system off auto for the voltage controls. I posted some settings from the bios below also to see if anything is noticable.

Thank's for any help.

Hardware:

Case: Antec 900 Gamer
CPU : AMD 955 Quad Overclocked 4.03GHZ
GPU : MSI 460GTX Hawk 1GB
Mem: 4GB DDR 3 Dual 1600
Mob: Asus M4A89GTD Pro
HDD: 250GB Maxtor 7200
Mon: Samsung P2350
PSU: Cooler master 1000W Modular
Cooler: Cooler master V8

Cpu Ratio: 19.5X
Bus: 206
Dram Frequency: 1648
CPU/NB: Auto
HT Link: Auto

CPU/NB Voltage Mode: Offset
Cpu offset: Auto 1.464
CPU/NB: Auto 1.100
CPU VDDA: Auto 2.521
Dram Volts: Auto 1.650
HT Volts: Auto 1.203
NB: Auto 1.290
NB 1.8V: Auto 1.806
SB Volts: Auto 1.100

(Thing's I disabled)

CPU Spectrum: Disabled
Cool N Quiet : Disabled
Secure Virtual Machine Mode: Disabled
Attached Images

Old November 28, 2010, 11:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I am not an AMD guy, but:
First, welcome to HWC....I know there are plenty of AMD guys here that will be more than willing to help you out ;)

Second, focus on OC'ing your CPU, once that is OC'd and stable, then focus on your GPU.

Third, looks like you already have a fairly good OC going on, how are you testing for stability and what kind of load temps are you getting on your CPU? Checking your CPU Temps whilst running LinX or P95 is the ticket.
Old November 29, 2010, 05:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Welcome on HWC! I second RJ on that. Try to get your CPU stable before OC the GPU. Also, I would concider linx 20 run of all pack instead of Prime 95. Linx is way more stressfull as it's a derivative of intel burn in test. Don't worry about the temp during stress test while using linx. It stress your CPUso much that a maximum load with a game or any other thing will be 5-7 degree cooler.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old November 29, 2010, 08:07 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks for the welcome.

I should have been more details about the program I used, I was using OCCT just with the default setting and ran the test for like an hour. Probably not long enough to know I am sure. However I decided to get the Lin X 0.6 something or other. I just googled it and brought me to a forum, says it was for intel chips but towards the bottom say's it worked with amd.

Guess I do not currently have a stable cpu overclock, because I clicked run with the recommended settings and 2 seconds later literally it bsod. This is where I would back off the overclock usually just got to pin point what to adjust know. It is volts I am sure but not sure quiet what to put them to.

UPDATE:

I ran Linx again but with 5000 problem not the default 10,000 and it came back no errors. I had noticed on the forum that this came from they used 5k instead. Temps were between 45-48. It reached 52 one time from the spiking between runs. Hopefully 5000 is a realistic test otherwise it fails at 10000. Picture is below
Attached Images

Last edited by Ash; November 29, 2010 at 08:17 AM.
Old November 29, 2010, 08:42 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^^ Always run LinX "Max Memory" (All)...backing off the settings on the stress test Program so that you can pass defeats the purpose of "Stress Testing".....All / Max Memory x30 passes (could take up to 4 hrs, depending upon the amount of RAM installed and GFlop speed)....run Core Temp at the same time to get an idea just how warm your CPU Cores get. BSOD's are part n partial (go hand in hand) with OC'ing and looking for your Max OC with lowest possible Voltages / Temps.

The LinX test you ran above doesn't really tell you much at all....
Old November 29, 2010, 08:52 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yup, just click the little all just aside the memory with 20 run and this is the awesome evil test that will tell you if you are stable. Carry on;)

Martin_metal_88

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old November 29, 2010, 09:23 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I ran the test for 20 pass and max memory this is the results I got. I am going to run it for 30 pass to make sure but I had to bring my clock down a bit. It was running at 19.5x I put it down reluctantly to 19 and it passed. Otherwise in the first 10 seconds it would bsod.

Running the 30 pass test now, noticed my memory is slightly higher now also.

UPDATE: Noticed 30 pass is not even available to me. So I had either 25-50, I am going to do 25 if that passes then I will be satisfied. Not so much I had to go to 3.9 tho.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ash; November 29, 2010 at 09:50 AM.
Old November 29, 2010, 09:52 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Generally if you can pass 20 pass it will be good, you can try 25 to be double sure. So now, I think you have the final result:)

Martin_metal_88

Old November 29, 2010, 11:16 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

It again didn't come back with any issues, posted below but should be stable now. I may try to bring it back up over 4ghz tho. May give it a shot with a slightly higher fsb, and see.
Attached Images

Old November 29, 2010, 11:38 AM
Banned
F@H

hey man. thats some decent clocks. whatever you do, keep pushing your nb speed up as much as possible, itll give you better performance all around. that is unless you only care about cpu raw power for thine applications :)