Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 17, 2010, 10:26 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Many are getting "stuttering" with Black Ops...not through the entire game, but at certain points, myself included.....its not your HW...

Seems some folks like this cats "Unboxing and Review" You Tube vids....personally I watched one on OC'ing a 980X on a Classified Board and thought.."this guys a tool".....he was thoroughly confused in the BIOS setting Vtt as Evga Boards don't state the Vtt total, but you have to add mv's to the Base speed.....you know, Base Voltage 1.2v then +25mv = 1.225v ......(what confused him was other Posters were stating thier Vtt in both formats, either total (1.225v) or in the steps provided in the BIOS (+25mv)...he simply didn't understand....huh...and he's an Evga sponsored Tech??!!

Anyhow, I cannot believe Evga provides this guy with GPU's to Review (unbox) on his Vids.....with all that said, check out this Thread from Evga Forums...rather entertaining and still reinforces what a bonehead this guy is....many are pissed as Evga seems to be taking care of him, regardless of the conditions of his Warranty being crossed.....enjoy!

Who the hell in thier right mind would attempt to Flash the Bios of one $500 Card (immature BIOS to begin with) with a BIOS from a 3rd party?? .............fvck that Card up.......then proceed to try it on the 2nd Card....and fvck that one too!! His reasoning "I wanted SC speeds out of my Vanilla Card"......uh...an extra 25 Mhz....too funny really!

WARNING - Do not flash the BIOS on the GTX 580 (or any GPU unless you know what ur doing)

Last edited by rjbarker; November 17, 2010 at 10:56 AM.
Old November 19, 2010, 09:53 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudd Rucker View Post
I've got my gtx 480 @ 850/1700/2200 and under my ek block and my gpu never goes over 52. I was surprised at how little the difference between my 480 and the 580 is.
Wondering what kind of voltage you needed to run those clocks?

HWC Overclocking Team, breaking hardware for fun!

Team Thread
Old November 20, 2010, 07:44 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

1.125 Max safe voltage according to the site I took my overclocking guide from , wasnt so much as a guide as a tutorial lol.

Last edited by Fudd Rucker; November 20, 2010 at 10:23 AM.
Old November 20, 2010, 07:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Playing around a "little" with ELeet and Overvolting 480's.....both GPU's voltage set to 1.09v..pretty amazing OC on these GPU's really, considering what stock is..highest Temps got in Vantage was 80C...

Core: 855 Mhz / Shader: 1710 Mhz . Memory: 2020 Mhz
CPU @ 4.3 Ghz

Old November 21, 2010, 01:40 AM

Sitting at 900/2000 1.1V right now with my freshly installed EK full cover waterblock on my MSI 480. Pretty impressed. Gonna keep pushing it. I don't think I'm at the limit yet.

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old November 21, 2010, 01:51 AM

Looks like I ran into my max already. 950/2000 1.075V (looks like I didn't need the volts I was using before, and maxxing it out doesn't even help). 56C max in furmark.

Need to test with some other applications to see if I get artifacting (may have to turn up volts a bit), but very impressed with this card now that I have a block on it. Will run Vantage shortly.

edit: Boo furmark. Getting artifacts in Vantage as low as 900Mhz (small ones, mind you), so looks like I'm gonna end up around 880-890.

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647

Last edited by Linus; November 21, 2010 at 02:06 AM.
Old November 21, 2010, 10:21 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I don't bother with Furmark / or Evga's GPU OC stability tester as I found you may get through some testing of those yet crash n burn running Vantage.......so bump up and go straight for a Vantage run....

Actually in Vantage, if thier is any anomalies at all with the "flapping tarp" that covers the speed boat, I exit and go back to my OC / Voltage settings, as I know it will eventually crash. If the tarp is good, things just maybe good throughout.

Also, no need at all for the high OC's on these 480's when your running 2 of em, games simply don't need it, high OC's are strictly (for me anyhow) going for high Vantage Benchmarks.
I run my 2 480's at 775 'core / 1925 Memory 24/7...

Linus, was that the stock Voltage on your 580 ...1.075v? My limit obviously is being on air....

Last edited by rjbarker; November 21, 2010 at 10:41 AM.
Old November 21, 2010, 06:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Apparently turning POST-FX off in Furmark will give you lower frames but higher temps. I discovered running my 480 at 850/1700/2100 crashes with PFX on, but the card only gets to low 80's.

I will have to double-check my OC's using Vantage if it's more in-depth than FurMark. Also gonna be getting E-Leet if it lets me overvolt my 480.

@rjbarker:

I read about that guy with the BIOS flashing. F'ing lol'd so hard I swear I was gonna puke. If the guy wanted SC speeds, why didn't he just get Precision? He could have pulled it off SO EASILY .One question though, are you able to get your memory any higher? No offense whatsoever, but your memory overclock seems small. Just curious though, can higher memory clock affect in-game performance? Which reminds me...

GENERAL NOOB OC'n QUESTIONS:

1. Will a higher CPU clock allow you to get a higher GPU clock?

2. I've noticed sometimes games can appear more laggy under an OC'ed GPU, and when I clock it higher it gets more laggy. Why is this? Is it due to potential bottlenecking from low CPU clock? (stock i7 920 atm)

3. Is there any rule of thumb for memory clock versus gpu/shader clock? Like a ratio or anything? How about upper limit of memory OC's. 2100 stable on air seems pretty good, but I wouldn't like to push it too high. What can I do to test memory more specifically?

4. Why does PFX on in FurMark make your GPU run hotter but with higher FPS? If it makes it easier for the GPU to render the furry donut (as shown through FPS increase), why does GPU get so much hotter?
2x XFX 7870
Adata SX900 256GB
Toshiba 1TB
Galaxy 1000W
Antec One
Old November 21, 2010, 07:09 PM
MVP

My System Specs

let me try this....

GENERAL NOOB OC'n QUESTIONS:

On the contrary a really high cpu clock(on the edge of instability) will lower your stable gpu clock. But you really have to be on the edge of stable/unstable.

2. I've noticed sometimes games can appear more laggy under an OC'ed GPU, and when I clock it higher it gets more laggy. Why is this? Is it due to potential bottlenecking from low CPU clock? (stock i7 920 atm)

sometimes when you pass a certain point of OCing a GPU, frequency still goes up without crashing but performance goes down. idk if that's what you experienced. More frequent with gpu ram clock because todays GDDR5 have error correction going on.

3. Is there any rule of thumb for memory clock versus gpu/shader clock? Like a ratio or anything? How about upper limit of memory OC's. 2100 stable on air seems pretty good, but I wouldn't like to push it too high. What can I do to test memory more specifically?

play games?
run 3dmark vantage?

4. Why does PFX on in FurMark make your GPU run hotter but with higher FPS? If it makes it easier for the GPU to render the furry donut (as shown through FPS increase), why does GPU get so much hotter?[/quote]

i don't use furmark
Old November 21, 2010, 07:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
I read about that guy with the BIOS flashing. F'ing lol'd so hard I swear I was gonna puke. If the guy wanted SC speeds, why didn't he just get Precision? He could have pulled it off SO EASILY .One question though, are you able to get your memory any higher? No offense whatsoever, but your memory overclock seems small. Just curious though, can higher memory clock affect in-game performance? Which reminds me...
Noob Answers:

I certainly am not an expert...unlike our Sir James DD .. ;) ......But, I have found for best GPU performance the Core Clock speed is the one I focus on....then bring the Memory up in a "crude" ratio.....

Quote:
I would imagine that their could be the possibility of having a more difficult time OC'ing the GPU with a high CPU OC.....however, performance should be snappier with both OC'd properly. An unstable high CPU OC will certainly affect your ability to achieve a high stable GPU OC...likely result in GPU Driver error / shut-downs.

Quote:
If your CPU isn't OC'd at all this could very well be the case (CPU Bottleneck), however, I wouldn't rule out the fact that your GPU (with high OC's) could possibly require more voltage (as in GPU Overvolting). The laggyness is simply another sign of instability....artifacts would be next or may also accompany the lagginess
Quote:
I would simply bump Core up and test...then raise Memory and test...then Core...then Memory..etc etc...try googling GPU Core / Memory OC Ratio and see what you come up with....I'm sure for shear speed its Core (also increases heat more so then Memory )...I have also found that aggressivly high Memory O's usually result in Artifacts / GPU Driver related errors sooner.
Quote:
4. Why does PFX on in FurMark make your GPU run hotter but with higher FPS? If it makes it easier for the GPU to render the furry donut (as shown through FPS increase), why does GPU get so much hotter?
From what I have seen, anytime your GPU's have to render more frames, this will always result in higher temps...think of it like turning off vertical synch...with it on and frames capped at 60 FPS temps are lower, disable it ...Framerates go way up and so do temps.

Take everything I said with a grain of salt...no expert here....Sky could likely provide more technical answers.....or Sir Jame DJ....Flashing his BIOS...yeesshh!!!

Last edited by rjbarker; November 21, 2010 at 07:27 PM.