Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 24, 2007, 09:10 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Unhappy Mockup Workstation Build for $600-800

Hi guys,

I'm looking to assemble a workstation for relatively low finances. I don't strictly require a quad-core processor or 512MB graphics cards. I just needs to be capable for work and, above all, expandable/scalable (i.e.: I'd prefer a fully-featured, multi-socket motherboard if it's going to be over $250 alone). Due to lack of spare time to keep up with the pace of the industry, I'm in need of your help to piece together a mockup of what the system will look like. Bear in mind that this is only a mockup--I won't be going out to buy what you guys have cited. I just need an idea of what I'll be getting for this kind of money.

My only restrictions:
-Preferably Socket F or the other new K10-capable socket that I can't seem to recall the name of
-DDR2 only
-Capable of scalable graphics (2 or more cards) if you come up with a pricey board. Otherwise, one PCI-express slot will do fine for a value-price mainboard that will be swapped down the line.
-A gigabit ethernet controller is desirable

Notes:
-I already have a monitor
-A chassis is not necessary
-This is not intended as a gaming machine (strange, innit?), so I don't need a 780i SLI chipset
-No power supply needed

Signed,
Amon
Old December 24, 2007, 10:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amon View Post
Hi guys,

I'm looking to assemble a workstation for relatively low finances. I don't strictly require a quad-core processor or 512MB graphics cards. I just needs to be capable for work and, above all, expandable/scalable (i.e.: I'd prefer a fully-featured, multi-socket motherboard if it's going to be over $250 alone). Due to lack of spare time to keep up with the pace of the industry, I'm in need of your help to piece together a mockup of what the system will look like. Bear in mind that this is only a mockup--I won't be going out to buy what you guys have cited. I just need an idea of what I'll be getting for this kind of money.

My only restrictions:
-Preferably Socket F or the other new K10-capable socket that I can't seem to recall the name of
-DDR2 only
-Capable of scalable graphics (2 or more cards) if you come up with a pricey board. Otherwise, one PCI-express slot will do fine for a value-price mainboard that will be swapped down the line.
-A gigabit ethernet controller is desirable

Notes:
-I already have a monitor
-A chassis is not necessary
-This is not intended as a gaming machine (strange, innit?), so I don't need a 780i SLI chipset
-No power supply needed

Signed,
Amon
$600-800? Simply not gonna happen!

You'll be looking at almost $400-500 alone for two video cards to be scalable which won't even give you that much peformance and the price of Socket-F boards another $350 or so.
Old December 24, 2007, 10:43 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah I'm kind of out of tune as far as mobos are concerned. I thought the major brands released cheaper socket F boards not long ago. Also, I meant support for more video cards, rather than just multiple cards right off the bat. Sorry for the confusion.
Old December 24, 2007, 10:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amon View Post
Yeah I'm kind of out of tune as far as mobos are concerned. I thought the major brands released cheaper socket F boards not long ago. Also, I meant support for more video cards, rather than just multiple cards right off the bat. Sorry for the confusion.
I'd just simply go for the vanilla p5k, 2gb of memory, quad intel, and a 8800gt.