Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/overclocking-tweaking-benchmarking/)
-   -   OK, final build list, sokay? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/overclocking-tweaking-benchmarking/3748-ok-final-build-list-sokay.html)

donimo December 19, 2007 02:27 PM

OK, final build list, sokay?

So, I am sure NCIX burnaby hates me now, but I changed just about everything and came up with this, to be built after xmas.

The purpose is for me to have a PC my wife won't be so pissed about me breaking from o/c shenanigans, an HTPC for mild use (no cable/pvr, just playback) and as a media server. Here goes:

CPU: e2180
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P35p DS3L (my 2nd)
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 8500
CPU cooler: AC Freezer 7 pro
NB cooler: Thermalright HR-05-SLI
SB cooler: stock
HDD cooler: Kingwin ICY
Case: Antec 900 (it was 49 bux, hard to complain)
PS: Antec Smartpower 2.0 500w
GPU: 800XL (maybe 3870?)

I am hoping to get this rig above the performance of the one in my sig, which will stay stock (or close) for reliability reasons.

critiques?

||Console|| December 19, 2007 02:33 PM

Only thing I would change if it was me is the PSU . ( but that is just me)

3.0charlie December 19, 2007 02:44 PM

Looking good, and you should be able to push that 2180 higher than 2.7. As for performance, the only downside compared to your actual rig is the video card, unless you go for the 3870.

MpG December 19, 2007 02:55 PM

Looks good. Not sure if the HDD cooler and NB cooler are necessary,(unless the case design is going to cause problems), but they certainly won't hurt anything.

SKYMTL December 19, 2007 03:22 PM

Change the PSU to an Earthwatts 500W

donimo December 19, 2007 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 31097)
Change the PSU to an Earthwatts 500W

Welllllll, I already own the smartpower, so I could swap it with the earthwatts in my other rig I guess. But if I was gonna buy a new PS I would go for a corsair or similar...

it is modualr too so that is nice in my tiny htpc case...

Will it be ok or am I dooming myself before I start?

donimo December 19, 2007 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MpG (Post 31085)
Looks good. Not sure if the HDD cooler and NB cooler are necessary,(unless the case design is going to cause problems), but they certainly won't hurt anything.

The HDD coolers may be taken off the list, I am not sure I can get them to fit in this case anyways, but heat is an issue in this case so...

The NB on my other rig got really hot (45) with everything at stock, with the AC freezer 7 on the cpu the NB HS gets diddly for airflow.

donimo December 19, 2007 04:11 PM

EXTREME Overclocking - Antec TX1050B Black SOHO Tower Case Review - Page: 6 - Tweaking PC Hardware To The Max

Seems decent, I never found a bad review when I looked before I bought it a couple years back...

Beermaster December 19, 2007 04:22 PM

Everything on your list looks good, the PSU, yea well it will work, but the earthwatts would be a better choice imo

donimo December 19, 2007 04:30 PM

OK, well I will mark the PS down for replacement in the future and keep the o/c to a modest level until I do.