Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 24, 2010, 02:41 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default 890FXA-UD5 & 1055T Overclocking help appreciated :-)

Well, I recently picked up a used 890FXA-UD5 Rev 2.0 board, and a X6 1055T. The ram I picked up was some OCZ 2X2GB ddr3-1600Mhz OCZ3G1600LV4GK

I haven't had an AMD system since an Athlon XP 2400

With these Phenom 2 6 core chips its taken me some getting used to. But At the moment I am unsure if I am just adjusting something wrong. Or I've just possibly reached the limit of my board. I've tried various BIOS revisions. Adjusting frequncies lower, or higher with the multipliers. But I can't seem to get this board to hold solid above 272Mhz, giving me a total of 3.8Ghz. I believe I've disabled the appropriate power saving features etc.

I've taken some screenshots while I'm testing, as well as took some pictures to show what I've adjusted to get to this speed.

The ram I've just left on auto timings-wise. As since I was playing around with timings etc, I was unsure if my adjustments in that area were adding instability. For now they seem to be running fine at about 1450Mhz at around 1.5-1.52 at the timings you see on the CPUZ screen.

Also unsure about my HD set up, I've never used SSD's and been awhile since I set up a raid-0 array on a gigabyte board.

Things I am unsure about. I've read the CPU NB VID control will help when you push the NB Frequency higher. In my case that being at 2448Mhz. Is there any real benefit to having this a little higher. As when I had the multiplier to this one down, so it was the same at the HT Link Frequency, the CPU NB VID control was able to run at NORMAL, I've had to increase it slightly to maintain stability.

I've noticed according to different programs, Coretemp, speedfan etc. The Cores "look" like they are running fairly cool. But if you compare the temp to the CPU temp sensor on the motherboard. The cores are reading like 10-12C cooler? I read somewhere that some of these were made, they read cooler than they actually are. So I've been basing my max on the motherboard CPU temp sensor.

The BASE CLOCK, what CPU-Z shows as BUS speed, (which looks similar to FSB on intel) I seem to top out at 272Mhz, I've tried various things, but still unsure what voltage to adjust to try and get this more stable. I've tried lowering the NB frequency, and the HT link Frequency and keeping them around 2000Mhz, so stock basically, and even lowering the CPU multiplier as well, so the only thing I was increasing was the baseclock. But it seems to go solid up to 270-272, then goes unstable, no matter what I touch. Any tips on this appreciated!

RAID set up. They are just budget drives. So I thought I'd post my results, cause when I do the HD tach, seems to fluctuate a bit, but has a nice average score. Is this normal? I think I went with 64 stripe, it defaulted to that. Higher or lower be better?

I tried my everest ultimate edition on here I had bought the key for, but it doesn't recognize my board? It kind of runs, but... do certain things, it will freeze the system.

Any help from you guys always appreciated thanks much!!

My total system consists of

CASE - Coolermaster Haf 932, PSU currently mounted at top, soon to be bottom to help give a little better aiflow.

Motherboard - Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5 Rev 2.0 (BIOS F2, I've tried all of them. F1-F5)

CPU - X6 1055T(seems to have a VID of 1.3)

CPU heatsink - Thermalright Ultra 120 Black edition(MX-2 thermal paste)

OCZ Gold 2 X 2GB DDR3-1600Mhz OCZ3G1600LV4G 8-8-8-24 @ 1.65 V

Video Cards - 2 X Powercolor HD 5850's

PSU - Corsair HX 1000W

O/S HD's - 2 X 64GB Kingston SSD's SNV425-S2/64GB

I must say I always like to share my results and everything I've done to get there. I see sharing knowledge is great, helps others, and then others chime in and help me What I see this forum as being about!
Attached Images

Last edited by TerenceJ; October 24, 2010 at 03:08 PM.
Old October 24, 2010, 02:49 PM
Banned
F@H

nice. you got to work on the nb speeds, ht links and such. lower like a madman till you find the culprit. sometimes , well most times, ram can hold back as well.

you can give it more juice. and whats the board temps?

load everest in there asap
Old October 24, 2010, 03:00 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Hey thanks dangtx,

All pretty new to me so I've had some learning to do lol

Ya my CPU doesn't seem to need a real big boost in voltage with my speed, so I don't think its holding me back. I think its something with the board. I have this in a Haf 932 case. I used to have my PSU at the top, it still is actually, But I think I can get better temps by moving it down to the bottom. Just a little more work to keep it neat. Then I can install a large fan up top again for a little more airflow.
Old October 24, 2010, 03:16 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I've found NB Voltage and the CPU-NB Link voltage to be the two I've needed to tweak the most. NB speed can indeed make a difference in performance on the PHII chips/boards.

The one thing that stands out the most to me ATM is the 1450 mem speeds.... that might be holding you back.

All that said... 3.8G on a 1055t seems to be fairly typical, so if your current setup is fully stable, you're doing pretty good.

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old October 24, 2010, 03:37 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Could it be the chip itself, or just the mobo holding back the bus speed? or maybe I've just hit the boards top end bus speed wise. Seems odd to me to hit the boards top bus speed with no voltage increase and no matter what I do does it want to go higher.

I was hoping to run stuff on the slower side, then figure out what my CPU can do. What I used to do on Core2 systems, max out the FSB and memory, then up the CPU multiplier and the Vcore.

Wilson. When you mention the memory at 1450Mhz are you thinking maybe its a little on the high side, so maybe its holding back my NB?

Thx much for the input! :-)

CPU-NB Link voltage,
sorry I been getting confused a lot lately, cause I guess different boards use diff terms for the same things. And I'm not familiar with AMD too much

Are you referring to HT Link Voltage Control?
Or CPU NB VID Control?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by TerenceJ; October 24, 2010 at 03:52 PM.
Old October 24, 2010, 03:50 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerenceJ View Post
Could it be the chip itself, or just the mobo holding back the bus speed? or maybe I've just hit the boards top end bus speed wise. Seems odd to me to hit the boards top bus speed with no voltage increase and no matter what I do does it want to go higher.

I was hoping to run stuff on the slower side, then figure out what my CPU can do. What I used to do on Core2 systems, max out the FSB and memory, then up the CPU multiplier and the Vcore.

Wilson. When you mention the memory at 1450Mhz are you thinking maybe its a little on the high side, so maybe its holding back my NB?

Yeah, that's what stood out. It probably isn't holding you back, but worth a look at.

As far as the bus speeds (HT, or HTT Whatever the H it's called.... ;) ) go... you've really got to get out of S775 motherboard thinking for that.... if you have a look at most PHII motherboard reviews you'll see that they seem to max out somewhere between 300 - 350, so figure on having to dump a fair bit of V into them in order to get much past 275 - 285.

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old October 24, 2010, 03:55 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I edited and added a little more to my last post on this. Just unsure of voltage references.

Also, I tried dropping my Ram multiplier down a notch to see. At first I just tried to drop the multi, leave the ram adjustments on auto, and it wouldn't boot, just went to the standard 200mhz bus speed. grrr

So I tried fixing the timings looser, but no help there. Unless I didn't see if with the lower ram speed, was dropping to 1088, maybe it was undervolting it a lot? Hmmm,

The last week I been hunting for information on this, wanted to try and do it myself but I got this far and started having a few probs. Quite a few reviews, or overclocking guides, give some good information, then they like to be vague in some areas?! Maybe they dont' realize that or they do it on purpose, ha ha, or I'm just missing something simple
Old October 24, 2010, 04:04 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerenceJ View Post

CPU-NB Link voltage,
sorry I been getting confused a lot lately, cause I guess different boards use diff terms for the same things. And I'm not familiar with AMD too much

Are you referring to HT Link Voltage Control?
Or CPU NB VID Control?

Thanks for any help!
Unfortunately I'm not familar with the Giga naming convention on AMD boards, but HT and NB are two completely different things. Generally PHII boards seem to have both main HT & NB voltages which (I guess) raise the voltage to the chipset, but they also have HT & NB Link settings which adjust (again... a guess) the voltage to the controller inside the processor.

I've personally found that I needed to bump both the NB Voltage and the NB -CPU Link Voltage (not HT) in order to get my memory to play nice in the sandbox.

Old October 24, 2010, 04:47 PM
Banned
F@H

htt(fsb) speeds should not be a problem on modern amd boards. hell with me 785g i was hitting in excess of 300, but the chip was too weak.

lower those multis and see what gives. do give juice when stability gives way, or be lazy like me and give it juice all over and then tinker with it(drop it)
Old October 24, 2010, 06:11 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Damn this thing, I thought I'd see if I can make it crash easily by dropping some of the things,

I put my NB frequency down from 2448 to 2176, and dropped my NB CPU VID Control back to normal.

Booted up fine.

So I dropped my NB Voltage control from 1.15(Normal) down to 0.95(minimum) as this should have an effect on the stability, cause people say to increase it with higher RAM and Bus speeds, but it won't crash? Boots up fine and keeps running. So this can't be effecting stability when I bump the bus speed up a little.

oh... bahahaha, I see what glitch it caused by dropping down my NB control voltage, it dropped at least one of my CPU multipliers down to 4. Rest still reading at OC level.

Just want to figure where my weak link is darnit, now I put NB voltage control back to normal, and I dropped my CPU NB VID Control to -0.050 and see if that makes me unable to boot, boot no prob, doesn't crash on stress. Cpu runs cooler...

7:26pm update, looks like the memory is the issue I need to pay more attention to and figure out. After a certain bus speed regardless of timings or voltage, the memory keeps me from booting. After I went past 275 I dropped the ram one multi, and it booted, but still unstable. Then I went in and set the ram to where "about" it should be for the lower speed. and it seems more stable, but will need more work.
In trying to find the weak spot I tried to just crank all the voltages, but it didn't do anything. So the ram will take some work. Thanks to the suggestion from Wilson

Last edited by TerenceJ; October 24, 2010 at 07:29 PM.