Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 24, 2010, 11:15 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Having trouble getting my i7 930 stable @ 4 ghz

Here's my settings so far,
my system specs are in the system spec tab

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  117.9 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  113.6 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  125.1 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  107.1 KB
Old October 24, 2010, 12:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Their is no such as thing as an "easy" 4 Ghz STABLE OC.....seems many seem to think all chips will do this very simply.

I noticed (in your specs) the high OC of your 480....is this 24/7 or only for a single Vantage run? In other words reduce your GPU OC to a more reasonable level whle your trying to get your CPU stable.

Don't use Uncore "Auto"...try it at 2x RAM ...as in 3200Mhz
Try MCH Strap @ 1600 Mhz
Lower your QPI to around 195 - 198 Mhz.......why 201Mhz....?...try to keep your RAM at or slightly below spec until you find the sweet spot for your CPU (stable)
Try disabling VDroop....VDroop and vDrop have to be considered for adjusting voltages....once you find the stable voltage, you maybe able to apply VDroop / VDrop to the equation and re-enanble VDroop Control...personally most folks disable it when looking for higher OC's....much easier.
Your vCore looks extremely low for "enabled VDroop" considering your looking for 4 Ghz.

Old October 24, 2010, 01:07 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Their is no such as thing as an "easy" 4 Ghz STABLE OC.....seems many seem to think all chips will do this very simply.

I noticed (in your specs) the high OC of your 480....is this 24/7 or only for a single Vantage run? In other words reduce your GPU OC to a more reasonable level whle your trying to get your CPU stable.

Don't use Uncore "Auto"...try it at 2x RAM ...as in 3200Mhz
Try MCH Strap @ 1600 Mhz
Lower your QPI to around 195 - 198 Mhz.......why 201Mhz....?...try to keep your RAM at or slightly below spec until you find the sweet spot for your CPU (stable)
Try disabling VDroop....VDroop and vDrop have to be considered for adjusting voltages....once you find the stable voltage, you maybe able to apply VDroop / VDrop to the equation and re-enanble VDroop Control...personally most folks disable it when looking for higher OC's....much easier.
Your vCore looks extremely low for "enabled VDroop" considering your looking for 4 Ghz.
it's all good now, 100 percent stable :) ran LinX with everything on max, 20 passes with no errors

for my 480, I didn't just do one vantage run, I used MSI kombustor multiple times to stress test and ran vantage several times. I know that's stable.

Last edited by bvsbutthd101; October 24, 2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old October 24, 2010, 08:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
it's all good now, 100 percent stable :) ran LinX with everything on max, 20 passes with no errors
Uh yeah......if your relying on LinX only for "solid stable" minimum 300 minutes (not passes) and Max Memory "All" enabled

Sorry, but 20 passes of LinX aint solid stable in my books ( a good quick indicator that you're on the right track is all that will show).......let it run P95 Small FFT and Blend each for minimum of 8 hrs, if you get through that your golden ;) (or Fold)

Quote:
for my 480, I didn't just do one vantage run, I used MSI kombustor multiple times to stress test and ran vantage several times. I know that's stable.
I wasn't wondering if your GPU OC was stable at all (could care less), but a highly OC'd GPU will generally effect the ability to "stabilize" an OC'd CPU......generally requires tweaking IOH vCore etc.....

Also.....why you running such a high OC with your 480 on a 19" Viewsonic monitor...pointless really....Stock speeds vs your OC speeds won't produce any better results gaming...only more heat

Just trying to help you out Bud

Last edited by rjbarker; October 24, 2010 at 08:49 PM.
Old October 24, 2010, 08:55 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Uh yeah......if your relying on LinX only for "solid stable" minimum 300 minutes (not passes) and Max Memory "All" enabled

Sorry, but 20 passes of LinX aint solid stable in my books ( a good quick indicator that you're on the right track is all that will show).......let it run P95 Small FFT and Blend each for minimum of 8 hrs, if you get through that your golden ;) (or Fold)

I wasn't wondering if your GPU OC was stable at all (could care less), but a highly OC'd GPU will generally effect the ability to "stabilize" an OC'd CPU......generally requires tweaking IOH vCore etc.....

Also.....why you running such a high OC with your 480 on a 19" Viewsonic monitor...pointless really....Stock speeds vs your OC speeds won't produce any better results gaming...only more heat

Just trying to help you out Bud
I mostly play on my 46 in" tv at 1920 by 1080, plus the overclock doesn't create that much more heat, only a couple degrees. Max temps are between 75 c and 80 c with MSI Kombustor. So heat on the GPU isn't a huge issue for me.
Old October 24, 2010, 08:59 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
You are not kidding.

Over the course of the last week, I got my Asus P6T i7 920 combo (main rig) to 4.0GHZ first try (24 hours prime, 5 days folding)...my other P6T i7 920 folding rig (exact same config), I cannot get to 4.0 with my ram over 1140MHZ (I had a thread for that rig last December, and tried again this week with no luck).

Pretty sure the IMC/Uncore is picky on that folding chip, while the other rig has a chip that will take whatever I throw at it.
Fold for team #54196
Old October 24, 2010, 09:17 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Agree with you there as well Chris. My 940 will do 4.0GHz, passes on practically all tests but still the odd time will fail it making me pull back to 3.8. I cant throw anything at it at 3.8, but 4.0 its 'picky'. I would recommend OP increase their vCore a bit more perhaps.
Old October 24, 2010, 09:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Chris / Arinoth
What I have found with both my old 920 and now my new 980X is it seems to come down to the IMC of the Chip......I spent a good 3.5 weeks playing around with OC settings...tweaking...testing my 980X and can not get it stable at 4 - 4.1 Ghz without relatively high vCore (compared to many others).......anything less than about 1.375v forget it (thats with VDroop Disabled)...so its hitting 1.395v under full load.....still less than Intel recommended highest Voltage (1.4v..barely), but fortunately these Hexa Cores run quite cool with high voltages (32nm)..highest I saw under load was 75c...I think the main reason many were claiming such high OC's with low voltages was thier Stability Testing methods....LinX Max Memory doesn't prove squat with these Chips Hexa (we need a new LinX version for these Chips)...load temps are no where near what P95 Small FFT / Blend produces and 30 - 50 x passes of LinX resulted in very quick BSOD's when running P95...

I never get the golden chip......although at this point in time Im tempted to try a new Board...

Its not always easy hitting 4 Ghz......my older 920 C1 forget it without high Voltage and Temps....

Old October 25, 2010, 07:25 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Chris / Arinoth
What I have found with both my old 920 and now my new 980X is it seems to come down to the IMC of the Chip......I spent a good 3.5 weeks playing around with OC settings...tweaking...testing my 980X and can not get it stable at 4 - 4.1 Ghz without relatively high vCore (compared to many others).......anything less than about 1.375v forget it (thats with VDroop Disabled)...so its hitting 1.395v under full load.....still less than Intel recommended highest Voltage (1.4v..barely), but fortunately these Hexa Cores run quite cool with high voltages (32nm)..highest I saw under load was 75c...I think the main reason many were claiming such high OC's with low voltages was thier Stability Testing methods....LinX Max Memory doesn't prove squat with these Chips Hexa (we need a new LinX version for these Chips)...load temps are no where near what P95 Small FFT / Blend produces and 30 - 50 x passes of LinX resulted in very quick BSOD's when running P95...

I never get the golden chip......although at this point in time Im tempted to try a new Board...

Its not always easy hitting 4 Ghz......my older 920 C1 forget it without high Voltage and Temps....
I was origanly using P95, and someone told me to use LinX because it stresses the cpu more, I just use both though.
Old October 25, 2010, 10:01 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvsbutthd101 View Post
I was origanly using P95, and someone told me to use LinX because it stresses the cpu more, I just use both though.

I like this thread:
Guide to Overclocking the Core I7 920 or 930 to 4.0ghz - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

I think you have the basics already, but in that guide they include what BSODs and freezes, etc mean when running prime95...can help pin down what part of teh chip/setup is holding you back.
Fold for team #54196