Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 22, 2010, 08:04 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
Sounds like a dumb question but why are you using such a low multi or is that the highest it can go? Try lowering the vcore while increasing the VTT(I think it was this, been a while since I oc'd my own p55) Some boards seem to oc better with high VTT and a much lower vcore.
I am using the low multi because I know that it is nice and stable @ 200 bclk. So I'll just start increasing the multipliers to find a good stable clock.

I actually started lowering Vcore earlier today and it seems to be working. I've never had a board before that couldn't handle too much Vcore. At the moment I am up to 3.6GHz, 1.25V.
Old October 23, 2010, 08:08 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Very nice! How are the temps on the MOSFETs on the board? I recall back in the Q6600+P35-DS3R days heatsinking and fanning the MOSFETs would help stability at higher clock speeds due to power draw.

Even the EP45-UD3L had cheaper circuitry and less phases thus couldn't handle quads as well as the UD3R/UD3P.
Old October 23, 2010, 09:07 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoob View Post
Very nice! How are the temps on the MOSFETs on the board? I recall back in the Q6600+P35-DS3R days heatsinking and fanning the MOSFETs would help stability at higher clock speeds due to power draw.

Even the EP45-UD3L had cheaper circuitry and less phases thus couldn't handle quads as well as the UD3R/UD3P.
Well it couldn't handle 3.6GHz. So unless I change the board I am stuck w/ 3.4GHz. And the mosfets are cool to the touch as I have a fan blowing over them.
Old October 23, 2010, 09:15 AM
Banned
F@H

looking good man. keep at it. and in terms of the same size board, no luck. unless theres a 2-3 times more expensive unit that does better with quads. once again these were made for duallies :)

fold it hard!!!1
Old October 23, 2010, 10:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hard to believe it can't push the chip to 3.6. Are you only increasing the multiplier still? Crank up the multi to the max and increase fsb from there if you haven't. I can't really think of any other ideas that might help you out. Try locking pcie at 100-104, don't think thats the problem but might as well try every option right now. Also, whats the highest VTT you've used so far/current settings for 3.4

Old October 23, 2010, 08:29 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Well it couldn't handle 3.6GHz. So unless I change the board I am stuck w/ 3.4GHz. And the mosfets are cool to the touch as I have a fan blowing over them.
Do you really need an "H" board? My P55 UD2 is doing quite good to when overclocking my I5 750. Could get it stable a 3.86GHz IIRC. Gotta say, the board blew up after ~7-8 hours of stress testing at 4GHz. I don't know if it really is better than an H55 entry level board, but it's doing good for me..
Old October 23, 2010, 08:42 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth- View Post
Do you really need an "H" board? My P55 UD2 is doing quite good to when overclocking my I5 750. Could get it stable a 3.86GHz IIRC. Gotta say, the board blew up after ~7-8 hours of stress testing at 4GHz. I don't know if it really is better than an H55 entry level board, but it's doing good for me..
I need a small board. Every P55 board is too wide. The radiator prevents larger MATX boards from fitting.
Old October 24, 2010, 04:03 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

how bout a minitx board h55n usb3? I heard it overclocks like a beast but I cant really guarantee with a xeon on it tho.
Old October 24, 2010, 05:13 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubaka View Post
how bout a minitx board h55n usb3? I heard it overclocks like a beast but I cant really guarantee with a xeon on it tho.
the problem with this board is to find an cpu cooler , Giga put the cpu socket next to the pci-e. But since Lowfat want to use WC , it's a good candidate. I have one if you need some measurements...
Old October 24, 2010, 09:50 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubaka View Post
It doesn't look like it has any stronger power regulation than the H55M-S2H I am using.