Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 13, 2010, 06:51 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Temps normal for this OC/Voltage?

I finally found some time to OC my system and managed to get to 4.2GHz pretty easily. The only thing I'm worried about are the temps which are hitting 82C max with vcore only at 1.275 (LLC enabled). Ambient is around 22-24C. I'm using an H70 right now with 2 S-Flex F 1600RPM in p/p. I've tried reseating a bunch of times already with MX-3 but they didn't change my temps at all.

At 4GHz / 1.225 vcore I get max temps of about 74-76C...should I back down or should I keep it at 4.2?

Also is my H70 is performing how it should or am I possibly doing something wrong?
Attached Images

Old October 13, 2010, 06:57 AM
Associate Review Editor

82C is fine for Core i7's. I wouldn't worry about your H70 either, you probably just have a particularly hot chip.
Old October 13, 2010, 07:04 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post
82C is fine for Core i7's. I wouldn't worry about your H70 either, you probably just have a particularly hot chip.
Alright thanks man. I recently came from an AMD system and the max temps I was used to seeing were in the 50s lol...geez I knew that i7s run hot but I was like when I saw these temps.

I still want to try lowering my temps though...do you think if I disable LLC and readjust the voltage I could see some drops? What other voltage settings have the most impact on cpu temps?
Old October 13, 2010, 07:12 AM
Associate Review Editor

You probably dont need to disable LLC, but you can always try lowering the vCore a bit. VTT can have an impact on temps.
Old October 13, 2010, 07:17 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post
You probably dont need to disable LLC, but you can always try lowering the vCore a bit. VTT can have an impact on temps.
I forgot to mention I tried lowering vcore but 1.275 was the lowest I could go without running into LinX errors/crashes. I just remember reading an article or something about having LLC enabled leads to higher load temps.

Also VTT = QPI on Asus boards right? I think I've got mine at 1.225 right now, I'll see if I can lower it any further, thanks.
Old October 13, 2010, 02:52 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

If you dont do a lot of heavy load programs like photoshop or encoding, that sort of thing. You can disable HyperThreading. I did and it lowered my temps by 10C. HT produces quite a bit of heat, and it helped me achieve 4Ghz at decent temps when I disabled HT.

Worth a try, not sure what you use your comp for but a quad core at 4Ghz is still damn fast. Just letting you know another option available that will reduce heat
Old October 13, 2010, 06:26 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Those temperatures are fine. My i7 920 runs about the same with a Heatkiller block and HWLabs SR-1 360 radiator. However I also have a HD5870 dumping heat into the water too...

I think my voltage is up around 1.3V though, so a bit higher than yours.
Old October 22, 2010, 08:29 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Just wanted to update my OC here..about a week ago I was playing SC2 on these settings when my screen goes black and distorted. Since I just installed a couple of GTx 470s I thought it was a driver problem related to my new cards but when I go to reboot, my OS wasn't detected anymore! Ended up having to reformat

I guess my OC wasn't as stable as I thought...going to run Prime95 for 24h next time!
Old October 24, 2010, 07:52 AM
Rookie

how did you guys get your temp to be so good! Im at 3.5ghz and it is already hitting 70!
Old October 24, 2010, 08:10 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer98 View Post
If you dont do a lot of heavy load programs like photoshop or encoding, that sort of thing. You can disable HyperThreading. I did and it lowered my temps by 10C. HT produces quite a bit of heat, and it helped me achieve 4Ghz at decent temps when I disabled HT.

Worth a try, not sure what you use your comp for but a quad core at 4Ghz is still damn fast. Just letting you know another option available that will reduce heat
i see it the other way, only linx will make a cpu that hot.....so hes competely fine for daily use