Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 10, 2010, 12:59 AM
Rookie

Default Help needed to OC i7 950

Hi guys and gals, this is my first post

I'm trying to get my head around overclocking my i7 950 but after a month of research on the web i'm even more confused than i was before. All the guides that i've found were confusing(to say the least) and overly complicated. Now i'm not a beginner with computers but i never overclocked before. Can somebody help me out to (safely)oc my rig please? I'm aiming at 4 ghz

CPU Core i7 950- CPU cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus- MoBo Asus P6X58D-E- RAM 6 GB Corsair XMS 3(2 GB x 3) triple channel DDR3 9-9-9-24 @ 1600mhz- GPUs x2 MSI Cyclone GTX 460(1GB)- Storage 128 GB SSD SATA 3 @ 6GPS(Win 7 64), 1TB HDD 7200 RPM 64MB cache, SATA 3 6gps(data)- OD LG DVD- Power supply Silverstone strider plus 750W- Fractal Design R3 case

I'm looking forward for your advices, Many thanks in advance

Last edited by ddee; October 10, 2010 at 01:15 AM.
Old October 10, 2010, 06:06 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Try this one:
Guide to Overclocking the Core I7 920 or 930 to 4.0ghz - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net
Old October 10, 2010, 08:31 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

or this one...

http://www.techreaction.net/2010/09/07/3-step-overclocking-guide-bloomfield-and-gulftown/

Old October 12, 2010, 12:12 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I just got my i7 950 a few weeks ago, and I'm a novice at OC'ing too. I used the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, no messing around in the BIOS. Just takes a restart to take effect. Only thing you need to do is change the bclock and voltage sliders and press apply.
I got mine to 3.8GHz at low 60's and 4.0GHz at low 70's in temp running prime95. I havent done anything that requires the extra power so I just leave it at stock
I'm still a beginner so I don't want to give any bad advice, but first things you should do is get a core temp monitoring program like CPU-Z, and something to stress test it to confirm stability like prime95
Old October 12, 2010, 12:44 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayerdave View Post
first things you should do is get a core temp monitoring program like CPU-Z
CPU-Z doesn't monitor temperatures. The program you want for that is Real Temp.
Old October 12, 2010, 01:35 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
CPU-Z doesn't monitor temperatures. The program you want for that is Real Temp.
Sorry! I meant Core Temp. Use CPU-Z to check your speed and voltage
Old October 12, 2010, 07:52 PM
Rookie

Smile

Thanks a lot for all the advices guys!! The guides are well written and definitely are a good reading. However I'm more inclined to use the more user friendly intel utility.. What seetings for the bclock and voltage voltage did you use to oc @ 4ghz? Also what is a safe temp I should be looking at?
Old October 12, 2010, 07:57 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

If you're going for 4GHz, learn to use the BIOS for overclocking. Software is only suitable for small overclocks or benchmarking runs. You cannot achieve true stability with it.
Old October 12, 2010, 09:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^^ Agreed totally...BIOS is where you want to lurk / learn for higher stable OC's ;) ...personally I've never used windows based Software to OC...would be suspicious of the accuracy of the Voltages I'm changing / inputting...

Old October 12, 2010, 09:55 PM
Rookie

Thumbs up

Yeah i guess there's no shortcut to heaven I've got a day off today and if you guys can help me I'll do it from the BIOS I'm pumped!!!

So let's recap what i have to do:

1)Locate my MoBo cmsos reset

2)Download Cpuz, real temp, Prime 95, Intel burn test.. What else?

3)Load optimized settings from the bios and reboot

4)Disable all the unused peripherals(pata, unsued sata ports and so on). Now.. Do I really need to disable all of the power saving features(which are nice to have i think) HT and TB as well?

5) Here is where i'm confused.. What does it mean isolate the bclock frequency lol.. What are the parameters that i have to tweak and how(in plain English if is possible)

I also read in that guide that asus MoBos display frequencies a little differently and "a little additional math from my side is required".. OMG i was really bad at math back in school Can you guys confirm that Asus have MoBos have problems to display the correct parameters?